How many pounds do i need to loose to drop a dress size?

Options
Some1 said i needed to drop 20lbs inorder to go from a size X to a size Y? I thought if you loose 10lbs or less you will drop in a dress size? Please i need answers

Replies

• laurenebargar
    laurenebargar Posts: 3,081 Member
    Options
    Its going to change for everyone, I've lost 46 lbs and one pair of my old pants still fit, and im in between sizes right now, it also depends on your starting weight, how much you have to lose and your build
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    It all depends on the dress and the size. I've got size 16 clothes I was wearing at 208 lbs that still fit at 171. In jeans I went from size 16 to size 18 (they were smaller than the 16s!) to 14. Sizes are bonkers.
  • Rosemary7391
    Rosemary7391 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Sizes are a bit silly really, since they cover 3 major measurements with 1 number (nevermind other measurements that make a difference in fit too!). I sew and I frequently blend between sizes in 3 places before I sew a dress. And it's different depending on who has drafted the dress, since they use slightly different "standard" bust/waist/hip measurements. Ready to wear clothes are just the same.
  • klowieislyfe1
    klowieislyfe1 Posts: 46 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Personally I tend to go down a size when I drop about 8-10 lbs. I'm not short, either. 20 is quite a bit of weight.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    I’ve gone down about 1 size of the exact same item from the exact same manufacturer in the exact same cut for every 10-ish pounds. However, I still have (and currently fit) clothes in all sizes from 8-22. So...
  • aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    Options
    I agree with the above completely but I'll add that I have noticed that *roughly* I (personally) need to drop about 20lbs between plus sizes (sizes 14-20), ~30 lbs per size above 20, and would assume that I will be able to drop about 10 between "regular" sizes (below 12, but I don't know, I'm not there).

BUT it depends on WHERE you lose the weight on your body. Obviously, dresses would depend on waist and bust size. Pants are more dependent on hip and waist sizes.

Currently I'm an L (14?) in Torrid size waist and 1X in the hips, according to the size charts. I don't know for a fact, though, because I've been wearing the same size 18 pants as I gained (stretched them out) and lost from 267 to 222.

UK to US depends a lot. Brand to brand varies a lot.
  • Adc7225
    Adc7225 Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on a few things. It could be that with diet alone it could take 20lbs to go down a dress size and maybe with diet and exercise only 10lbs. I’ve put on about 15 lbs and I’ve gone up a dress size.
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,217 Member
    Options
    Can't comment on dress size (guy) but I know the first time I lost any appreciable weight I cut 4" off my waist size from a 36 to a 32. I started lifting a few years ago, still wear the same size in everything but suit jackets (39" to 42" chest) and weigh about 20 lbs more at a similar body fat level. All depends on body dimensions and where you hold and lose weight.
  • ryenday
    ryenday Posts: 1,540 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Down more than 35 pounds but only down one size (14 to 12) — the sizes will HAVE to change with less weight going forward or I’ll be dead before I reach size 6
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    It depends on the person. Some people 10 some people more. Took me 50 to drop a size as even then I barely fit in the smaller size.
  • DananaNanas
    DananaNanas Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    I have wearable dresses in the following sizes in my closet as we speak: Small, Medium, Large, 6, 8, 10 and 12.
    I weighed 142 pounds this morning and each of these dresses would fit me approximately the same way were I to try them on when I get home from work.