The next person who says that muscle weighs more than fat

Options

Replies

• professorRAT
    professorRAT Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    When comparing the weights of two substances, you usually weigh equal volumes of each substance, and since muscle is more dense than fat, when comparing equal volumes, muscle weighs more than fat...

You mean I am supposed to figure out that "by volume" is very obviously implied???
  • Fithealthyforlife
    Fithealthyforlife Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    When comparing the weights of two substances, you usually weigh equal volumes of each substance, and since muscle is more dense than fat, when comparing equal volumes, muscle weighs more than fat...

You mean I am supposed to figure out that "by volume" is very obviously implied???

Yes, you are!
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options

Exactly, one cup of chocolate pudding weighs more than one cup of whipped cream

and when you put them together they belong in my face.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Everything weighs the same. :flowerforyou:
  • jgal86
    jgal86 Posts: 77
    Options

THIS! All they way.
  • professorRAT
    professorRAT Posts: 690 Member
    Options

Yes, you are!

That's crazy!!!!!! /s
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    You're getting too worked up about this.

Accept that either people don't know what they're talking about, or they forgot to add "by unit volume". Either way, getting your panties in a wad everytime you read that will leave you with a lot of wadded panties.
  • Fithealthyforlife
    Options

But everything does not have the same density. People who talk about muscle weighing more than fat are actually talking about fixed volume relative mass...our brains take shortcuts, and it's likely the visual learners who like to say that muscle weighs more than fat. I'm one of them. I'm a visual learner (but not only a visual learner--I can easily see both points of view simultaneously, and appreciate why both are actually correct).
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,688 Member
    Options
    ...needs to be boiled in their own pudding! And if people still continue to get it wrong, we'll have to take drastic measures!

Seriously, how can muscle weigh more than fat (full stop)?! Is it that hard to say that a given volume of muscle weighs more than a given volume of fat?!

Cripes, just say "muscle is denser than fat" and you avoid the whole issue neatly!
    If you're speaking VOLUME in scientific weights and measure, then you're speaking of liters. A liter of muscle DOES weigh more than a liter of fat. Just sayin'.
    The problem is understanding how the term is used. People are comparing a pound to a pound. That's not how one defines how much an actual material weighs though. You do this by comparing equal volumes of materials to determine density.

So yes muscle does weigh more than fat.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options

Only when it pertains to muscle and fat. If they said helium is lighter than air no one throws a hissy fit.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Booyah!

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    A pound is a pound unless you're defying the laws of physics.
    But volume is different. And she spoke of volume.

IDEA Fitness member
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    everybodys different. in some people, muscle might weiy more than fat and someone else the fat might weiy more
  • Fithealthyforlife
    Options
    everybodys different. in some people, muscle might weiy more than fat and someone else the fat might weiy more

We all do have some fat in our muscles...intramyocellular lipid...and also some degree of actual fat marbled into the spaces between the muscle fibers (much, much more in people who are obese). But I don't know if that's really what this thread was about.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    And unicorns have chi.

IDEA Fitness member
  • Fithealthyforlife
    Options
    And unicorns have chi.

IDEA Fitness member

Yeah. Even when you take into account that extra fat that some have in muscles, it still weighs more than an equal volume of fat.

I'm done here.
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options
    I do not weigh the same as an elephant! It just looks like I do. :angry:
  • Hexahedra
    Hexahedra Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    The unstated assumption is "everything else being equal". People say steel is heavier than wood because they assume equal volumes.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I do not weigh the same as an elephant! It just looks like I do. :angry:

But it's okay. You also weigh the same as an ant.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    Well done OP. You've set us all straight...again :yawn:
    2j51mif.gif