What's the best way to deal with breathing and back problems while walking?

Options
As I have stated on this site before, I am obese... Seriously so. As part of my effort to deal with that, I go for a walk every day... it's 1.2km, with a 10 minute break at the bus shelter after 700m.

It's not far... Mum can walk that in 10 minutes, but it takes me 25 to walk that.

My biggest problem however is two fold... After roughly 300-400m, my back starts to hurt and I have to stop to lean against a tree to rest.

I also find that by roughly 600m, I am struggling to breath, by the time I reach the bus shelter for a break, I am literally unable to breath.

And no, I don't have diabetes, asthma or any other kind of condition.

Does anyone have any advice for dealing with these problems?

Thanks.

Replies

• Purplebunnysarah
    Purplebunnysarah Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    It might just be slightly too far for you at your current state of fitness. So maybe cut back a bit and add 100-200m every couple weeks or so. Also make sure you have good, supportive shoes. Finally, consider doing swimming pool based exercises. They are lower impact while still being a good workout.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    i'm not sure about your back issues, but the out-of-breath thing . . .

that's what happens to anyone who is giving their body a challenge it hasn't been faced with before. to make you feel better: it's exactly the same whether you're walking to the bus-stop or you're a competitive athlete doing a next-level training push. so try to remember it's positive.

what i think you should do is break it up. walk the distance, but don't wait until you're unable to breathe before taking a break. set yourself specific milestones that are much smaller. like 'two lamp posts and then stop or slow down until you're breathing more easily. then do another two lamp posts' and so forth. what really counts is not how badly out of breath you get and it's not the distance you cover. the magic is in how you're giving your body a chance to get used to being 'out of breath' - which is really just your body needing a little more oxygen so it can burn a little more fat and deliver a little more energy to make itself move.

also, congrats and hang in. the beginning part of any attempt to improve your fitness is always the worst and the suckiest. if you can just keep going for another three or four weeks, it is going to feel easier. if you're consistent and don't panic - or over-push yourself - then your body will learn this is a new thing that ain't going away, and it will start to adapt. it'll make more red blood cells, improve your lung capacity, reinforce your tendons and ligaments, and rejig your muscles a little bit.
  • SoleTrainer60
    SoleTrainer60 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Hello, First of all, you need to make sure your doctor says it is ok to do this. If your doctor gives you the ok, then start with short distances. I know that you stated that the distance that you are going isn't very far, but start slowly and increase your distance as your body lets you know. Some days when I walk or jog, I can't go as far one day as the other. I always let my body tell me what I should do for that day. I am proud of you. Take baby steps, one day at a time. I feel that your breathing problem and back pain will decrease as you get back in the habit of exercising. I know you can do this. :)
  • maryannprt
    maryannprt Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Check with your doctor for both of these issues. Lots of people have exercise induced asthma. How would you or your doctor know, when you haven't challenged yourself in this way before? For both issues it's probably nothing serious, (but clear w/ your doctor) you're just asking your body to do something it hasn't had to do in a long time and those muscles are tired. Rest as necessary, find another tree to lean against on the way, or walk to the tree twice or 3 times a day until you get stronger. Then try the bus shelter walk again.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    When I started 3 1/2 years ago I could barely walk 1/4 mile without excruciating pain and rest stops. I started with what I could do and added on a little bit each week. Within a few months I could walk 5k with a couple of rest stops Within a year I did 10K at a fast clip no stops. I would also recommend strength training. Strengthening especially your core should help with the back pain. And get a good supportive pair of walking shoes. Keep it going!
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    I would suggest finding a distance that you can walk without experiencing back pain and extreme shortness of breath. Walk that distance every day (maybe even more than once with a break in-between). After a week, go a little farther. Keep increasing the distance each week but never go beyond your capabilities. It won't be long before you can go a lot farther than you can now.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    Do you have access to a pool? Swimming us great for no impact exercise. It helps work more muscles and build core strength. There are a lot of group water exercise classes too.