Friends and nutrition/fitness help

Hi all! Basically, I'm back. Was on Mfp years ago, stayed a couple months, went at it hard core and lost 35 lbs in 60 days. But I took it to the extreme, 1300 calorie diet, exercising a minimum of 16 miles a week (usually 20+ running and walking) I fell off the wagon when I became pregnant, and really haven't put a ton of effort in since. I mean I have tried dieting- diets that I can't always stick to for long, and I have just now begun to implement exercising again (aside from movement at work)
I have struggled with weight my entire life. When I was 11 I was the biggest kid in the class at a whopping 165lbs Thankfully, I stayed that way until I graduated high school 165 being my "thinnest" back then. I had always been active, but I have NEVER been thin, only just slightly above average or overweight.
My diet hasn't always been great but I have, until recent years always been active, making a point to go on walks, hikes, some runs, ect. Over eating has always been an issue-- even with healthy foods lol (veggies, fruit, ECT)

I'm currently 244lbs at 28 years old. I'm ready to be commited to myself. Its up to me. If I am unable to manage my weight and overall health, I am seriously considering bariatric surgery, since my weight has always been a constant struggle. My target weight loss goal is 170lbs. I would love to meet people with a similar goal and people that have been able to lose the weight and keep it off. Thank you for reading! Lets do this!

Replies

• Iamsimpleguy
    Iamsimpleguy Posts: 1,576 Member
    Welcome to MFP, Enter your food diary daily and keep tracking your calories, try to do small exercises. Keep active yourself. All the best!! Feel free to add me :)

For a Newbie check this link http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10300331/most-helpful-posts-getting-started-must-reads#latest
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited November 2017
    Letting someone cut you open because you can't get a grip on your eating habits, is a terrible idea. From my perspective (someone who has been overweight, or afraid of gaining weight, and afraid of food, and obsessed with food, on and off for over 20 years, and now has had a stable, healthy weight for 3 years, and a happy relationship with food), your issue is that you're attacking this wrong. Your weight isn't a struggle, your eating habits is a struggle, and it's mainly from your preconceptions.

Foods aren't healthy or unhealthy. A healthy diet is varied and balanced, it provides you with all the nutrition you need every day, and not too much of anything over time. You can eat anything you like, but you can't eat too much. Exercise is good for you, and you should indeed try to find an activity (or several) that you find enjoyable, but exercise plays a minor part in losing and even maintaining weight.

You can't stick to diets for long, well, nobody can, that's the whole point with diets - you go on them, lose some weight, can't take it anymore, reagain, and then some, go back on the diet, or find another. It's a money making machine - even if you don't use a "commercial" diet, you'll tend to buy special foods, avoid perfectly fine cheap normal foods, go to the gym, or buy equipment, and then overeat anything at first opportunity. Unhappy people are better customers.

MFP is free, MFP is actually freedom, if you use it correctly. Get your calorie target by picking a 1% weekly weightloss goal. Stick to that target as if your life depends on it (it might). You will lose weight doing that, because this is something you can stick to. But of course you'll have to stick to it. Make it fun, don't try to speed up the process.