Do you keep sodium under 2300?

Options
Anyone else keep sodium under 2300mg so they don’t see the scale go up?...

Replies

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    No. I try to keep my sodium over 3000 mg because that level is linked with better mortality. Plus, as someone who usually eats quite low carb, my levels of water retention are a bit lower than the usual.

It is just water. I want minimize my fat levels (to a certain point) and reduce the normal amounts of water and electrolytes in my body. Working towards minor dehydration seems counterproductive to fat loss. KWIM?
  • ptrcmcc6
    ptrcmcc6 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I do because my blood pressure seems to run a little high and I don't take any medication for it. That's not saying I always meet those goals though... :/
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    I don't track sodium. I have no idea how much is in the food I eat, and I add it to pretty much everything I consume (including coffee)
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I don't track it either. Most of my food is home cooked so I'm sure it's not ridiculous or anything. To be honest I wouldn't keep it low just for a certain scale reading. That's like avoiding weight training to prevent gain from water retention in the muscles. My goals are more important than the scale, and fluctuations are all part of it.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    Famof72015 wrote: »
    Anyone else keep sodium under 2300mg so they don’t see the scale go up?...

Mine usually was under 2300, but now it's been recommended that I increase it because I have Low Blood Pressure. A bit awkward as I don't use much sodium rich processed foods.
  • lucerorojo
    lucerorojo Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    I try to keep mine under 1500 but is usually between 1500-2300.
  • brittneyalley
    brittneyalley Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I try to stay under 2300, as that’s the recommendation, but I do go over every once in awhile. I don’t eat many processed foods, so it’s not too hard.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,969 Member
    Options
    I don't track it, but when I do look (on the printable version of the food diary by default) it's usually around 3500 a day. I'm at a healthy weight with no other health issues and I don't eat low-carb.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I try to limit high sodium foods in general because it's better healthwise in the long term. I've done this for many many years, whether on weight loss or while fat. I now prefer low salt foods, even chips and other typically high-sodium foods. They just taste better to me.
    About half the population can eat unlimited sodium with no health effect and the other half has serious effects, per a nephrologist my husband works with. The thing is, you don't really know which half you're in until the problems appear.
    If I want something with more sodium, like PIZZA, I have it without concern for my weight the next day, because I know it's water retention, NOT FAT, and will dissipate over the next few days to a week.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    I just put soy sauce in my morning eggs, so not today.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    No. I keep my sodium fairly level to reduce fluctuations but I average around 2600-2700 I believe.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I watch sodium but sometimes I'm higher and sometimes lower. I feel better when I don't eat a very high sodium diet daily.
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    I'm supposed to be trying to keep it to between 2000 and 2300 -- I tend to swing between super low (between 1000 and 1500 if I'm not eating out), and then puff up like a balloon when I go above 2300, so my dietitian recommended aiming for 2000 as a minimum, and not worrying about going over.
  • sgtx81
    sgtx81 Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    I try to keep sodium under 2300. I also try to keep my potassium intake at close to 2:1 of the sodium. As long as I'm not eating processed foods, it's not so hard.
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options
    I try to keep it at around 3000mg/d. Since doing that (upon doctor's recommendation), I've been able to half the amount of meds I need to take for my low BP. Hoping that the added daily 2 coffees will take care of the rest.

Haven't passed out once since doing that, which is quite the treat. :smile:
  • 2snakeswoman
    2snakeswoman Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    I'm so focused on carbs and sugar right now (prediabetic) that I'm not even looking at sodium.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    I try to keep the recommendation averages about 2500-2700 a day. Sodium has a direct impact on my fluctuations and weeding these out to determine weekly weight changes gets hard. I don't like taking 3-4 days to balance out but sometimes that happens and that's okay. Weekend eating (being flexible with the types of calories I eat i.e. with family/friends) is going to happen often, its part of it.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    I'm so focused on carbs and sugar right now (prediabetic) that I'm not even looking at sodium.

I'm mainly focused on calories, and often wondered how other people's diaries showed such high sodium compared to mine.