Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Fitbit ionic or Apple Watch?

Trying to decide between Fitbit ionic or Apple Watch? Any recommendations or comments are greatly appreciated

Replies

• MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    How they looks is where their similarities end. Have you done any reading and know what you like and don’t like about each?
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    How they looks is where their similarities end. Have you done any reading and know what you like and don’t like about each?

Not really. It's more than just looks: Fitbit Ionic is a better fitness tracking platform, Apple Watch Series 3 is more flexible and supports more applications like music and messaging. You don't get that additional functionality with Fitbit Ionic. The Apple Watch Series 3 has an LTE option available, meaning it's not necessarily tethered to your cell phone. It also provide integration with the Apple ecosystem if you're already an iPhone/Macbook/iPad user. My guess is that the Apple Watch will be able to talk to more smart exercise equipment in the future, but that remains to be seen.

If all you want is a fitness tracking device and don't plan to use your smart watch for answering calls, messaging, listening to music, etc., then the Fitbit Ionic is the better choice for you. If those other features are important to you and you don't care that the fitness tracking isn't quite as sophisticated, the Apple Watch Series three is the better choice for you.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Specifically as a fitness tracker, they prioritize different things. AW doesn’t really care about steps, and won’t ask you to set or reach a daily goal for them. There’s less community focus too, although you can activity share it’s more like one to one than a friends group. I went from one to the other - personally I like fitbit’s app and website, Apple has nothing on that, but overall I prefer the AW.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,343 Member
    edited November 2017
    My vote (having owned an Apple Watch for two years and a Fitbit before that) is c) Neither of the above. If it were me and my money (at least in that price range), I'd buy the Garmin Vivoactive 3.

If you want to read in-depth, comprehensive reviews of all three, go to dcrainmaker.com and read his reviews. He basically leaves no stone unturned.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Garmin Fenix 5.

I've used a Fitbit Charge HR, a Garmin Forerunner 225, and love my iPhone 7.

But the Fenix 5 is top notch for multi sports.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,343 Member
    Orphia wrote: »
    Garmin Fenix 5.

I've used a Fitbit Charge HR, a Garmin Forerunner 225, and love my iPhone 7.

But the Fenix 5 is top notch for multi sports.

I have the Garmin 935, which is basically the Fenix 5's guts in a plastic rather than metal case. Absolutely love it, best fitness wearable I've ever owned. There's not even a fair comparison with the Apple Watch - and I'm a huge Apple fan who owns many of their products and really liked the Apple Watch until I got the Garmin and discovered the differences. IMO, Apple makes great, very high quality products, but in the fitness world they have a long way to go to catch up to Garmin.