Insect Repelling Superbands for Running/Walking

Options
I live in FL and like to run at night. With all the preserve areas here I'm pretty much a walking bug buffet. I saw insect Repelling Superbands at Dinosaur World and bought some on the way out. They're wristbands with citronella and a couple of other oils. Wow, what a difference! I wore one on my wrist and on the opposite leg last night, and no bites even though I was out for an hour.

I usually use Deet but hate the stickiness and having to run right into the shower without touching any of our pet menagerie. These have no mess and no residue. The clerk where I bought them said to store them in a Baggie in the freezer between uses to extend their life (supposed to be 200 hours from opening).

I paid $2.50 each, but they're around $1 on Amazon if you buy a box. The Amazon reviews seem to be "love it or hate it," so YMMV. Just wanted to share my experience, and I'd love to hear about other natural repellant options for runners. I run so much better at night, but I want to avoid anemia!

Replies

• sabified
    sabified Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    Thanks!! I hate using bug spray cuz of the smell and how it feels on my skin... was wondering if these bands things actually worked or just marketing BS.
  • sunshinestater
    sunshinestater Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    The BIG test will come when I go out for a run after it rains, which makes the bugs especially vicious. It was raining every evening, but now we're suddenly in a little dry spell, so I'll update when I finally get in a post-rain run.
  • snazzyjazzy21
    snazzyjazzy21 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Wow, I was always super dubious about those kinds of things. Luckily the bugs around here aren't too bad, but I'll keep them in mind for camping trips :)
  • JayWalk39
    JayWalk39 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    The best insect repellent that I have found so far are dryer sheets. Stick a couple in your pockets and you will be AMAZED...seriously.
  • toothpastechica
    toothpastechica Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    The best insect repellent that I have found so far are dryer sheets. Stick a couple in your pockets and you will be AMAZED...seriously.

Yeah that will look classy sticking dryer sheets down my sports bra and in my running shorts......I don't even have room for my keys let alone dryer sheets....
    I am curious about the wristbands though...I live in a rainforest and bugs LOVE me so I would love an alternative to deep woods sprays.