Lower back pain

Options
I think I've injured my lower back somehow. I have hip weakness in general but I can't sit, bend or stand without being in pain. Is there any like stretching I can do to make it go away or ease up at least. Also, I'm scared to have a bath in case I can't get up lol.

Replies

• curiousgp
    curiousgp Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Tons you can do! Yoga is my saviour when it comes to lower back pain. I found I was wasting money with the chiro until I googled basic stretches. Now anytime I feel a pinch or worse I carve out stretch time a couple times a day.

Downward dog, cat/cow, cobra all for starters.

Good luck!
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    See a doctor. I hurt my back and waited and it was so dumb. When I eventually went, the doctor ordered xrays and they found degenerative disc disease (at 28 years old!). I ended up getting painkillers, muscle relaxers, and prescription physical therapy.

Don't waste money on a chiropractor. They're not medical doctors. Don't mess around with back pain.
  • StatsGuy99
    StatsGuy99 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Yoga is helpful. Also try stretching your butt. When your butt gets tight, it can pull on your back.

I used to think I had a bad back, but I now think I just had a weak one. After I recovered from my last back injury, I slowly got into weightlifting. My back is now pretty strong, and all my back problems are gone.
  • joannepettis9
    joannepettis9 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Getting trigger point injections & it's helping along with exercise. I have been suffering for more than 30 years. It costs me lots of jobs. I'm doing light weight exercise now. I have been to chiropractors, physical therapy, & other physicians with little help. I did gain strength through physical therapy a year ago & managed to keep that strength through maintaining exercise & light weights.
  • joannepettis9
    joannepettis9 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Fitness Pal is working for self and husband. We are never hungry & have more energy.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    leggup wrote: »
    See a doctor. I hurt my back and waited and it was so dumb. When I eventually went, the doctor ordered xrays and they found degenerative disc disease (at 28 years old!). I ended up getting painkillers, muscle relaxers, and prescription physical therapy.

Don't waste money on a chiropractor. They're not medical doctors. Don't mess around with back pain.

This.

I also have DDD and a few herniations, one of which I had surgery on. Once your back is fukked, it's a long, hard road to unfukk it. Don't mess around.
  • deeno123
    deeno123 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I’ve just had an MRI and look like I have DDD and a couple of bulging disc. I don’t want surgery if I can help it. Was going to a PT but stopped until I hear from dr. I’m worried about how this is going to change my life. This sucks! Will deal with it day by day I guess.
  • Stormykitty
    Stormykitty Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I broke my neck in'92 and as of 2017 had 3 more neck and upper back surgeries-total 7 in all. Rods and screws this time. 2yrs 7mths ago I was barely able to walk or stand for more than 1-3minutes at a time and needed to use a bariatric walker. I have been going to a therapy pool and doing exercises. As of Sept. 17 I have worked myself up to 2.3mph for 20-30minutes on the treadmill, do my thera-band arm exercises leg and hip strengthening exercises that the physical therapist gave me. I do not use the walker anymore and am down 101lbs since 3/15. I still have chronic pain on a daily basis and often feel frustrated that my progress is so marginal-I feel since I am working so hard. Then when I look back at what I was I am proud I've come this far. And I am thankful I can still walk. PS. I am also afraid to get into a tub and not get up but I've had that fear for over 15years-thank God for walk in showers.
  • cowgoo
    cowgoo Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Check out Fitness Blender. They have some great stretching videos. Feel better
  • AllSpiceNice
    AllSpiceNice Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    OP - go see a doctor and see if you can get into physical therapy. Whatever you do, don’t ignore this. I did years ago when I had a slight strain of the back with similar symptoms to yours.

It can get much worse! I strained it again and my lower back muscles went into severe spasms and I thought I was going to die on the floor by myself. Couldn’t stand up and was in severe pain for hours. Worse than labor pains/giving birth.

It turned out to be a severe strain of my lower back, which also led to serious sciatic pain along with it. Took months of physical therapy to get better. But it wasn’t quite the same as before the injury for years...until...

...I finally lost the extra 90 lbs I was carrying around, and got serious about getting fit - especially my core muscles. Another great reason to keep moving forward with your health goals! :-)
  • DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    (1) see a doctor and ask for (2) referral to physical therapist. I had a bulging disk, and I'm pretty certain that it would not have cured itself.
  • MaggieGirl135
    MaggieGirl135 Posts: 977 Member
    Options
    Go to a medical doctor and get X-rays. In addition to other concerns, make sure they rule out AS (ankylosing Spondylitis). Women can get it, too. It probably isn’t AS, without other symptoms, but don’t just assume it is only a one time acute injury.