Liver Reducing Diet For Fundoplication

PaganUK
PaganUK Posts: 238 Member
edited November 2017 in Food and Nutrition
i have posted this in my local groups but thought I would open it up to a wider audience.
on 30th November 2017, I am due to have hiatus hernia repair surgery and a Nissen fundoplication. This is when the top of the stomach is wrapped 360 around my oesophagus to stop it sliding through my diaphragm. From November 9th, I started 3 weeks of a liver reducing diet this makes the liver firmer as it has to be lifted out of the way for surgery to take place. 800cals a day. this is a medical diet only for pre-op preparation.
it's gonna be tough going!
Any advice on how to stay strong to get through this and others experiences will be greatly appreciated

Replies

• RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Are they keeping you on it for 3 weeks straight?

I'm currently on it but have to do 9 day slots with 4 day break.

I'm finding greek yoghurt, sugar free jelly and chicken and prawns to be my go to.
  • PaganUK
    edited November 2017
    yep. 3 weeks. I was expecting 2 weeks from what I had read in patient forums but 3 weeks it is.
    I am homing in on high protein meals . I'm allowed a 1 x 300cal meal and 2-3 meal replacement items. (Heartlands Hospital, west Midlands, UK) I'd forgotten about prawns. Thank you. :-)
    I'm considering breaking my evening meal into 2 halves. one half at tea time, the other half for supper. Hopefully this will keep me satiated.

any other handy hints for getting through these 3 weeks will be happily received!
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    edited November 2017
    I asked what macros the meal replacements would give me and they said it equalled 50g of carbs and low fat also at 25g over the full day.

I decided to use real food instead of shakes. I'm getting around the 800kcal mark. some days slightly more, some days less. My diary is open so feel free to look.
    Edit to add, I don't normally log as I am in maintenance. I started this Oct 26 to help you find it.
    I also wasn't told to limit calories.
  • PaganUK
    I'm managing okay so far but I am on only day 4 of 21!
    I find the diet easier to follow when I'm at work. weekends are going to be a real test of discipline and control
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    My main problem has been not wanting to eat as it is so unappealing.

I'm having to force the food down.
  • Heather4448
    Heather4448 Posts: 908 Member
    You may want to visit r/1200isplenty on Reddit. It should give you some low cal meal ideas. Also, the volume eater’s thread here has a lot of good suggestions.
  • PaganUK
    thank you both for your advice. plamining has become the most important aspect. protein is the fist food on my plate. I am also taking a multi vitamin each day.
  • egonzo7719
    egonzo7719 Posts: 3 Member
    Had Nissen this past August. Luckily I did not have to do the diet prep you seem to have to...

As for the surgery, recovery has been slow. I developed a side effect and now struggle with eating - forcing a low carb/low sugar diet. On lucky days I consume about 1500 calories - most days I am about 1000. Doc isn’t too concerned as of yet as I’ve lost over 65 pounds.

Advice: eat slow always chew food well. First two weeks after surgery eating will be a challenge. Smoothies are great!
  • PaganUK
    thank you @egonzo7719 . I'm making the liver reducing diet quite well. Ive felt light headed several times though.
    I have thinking about the post-op diet . it's going to be like weaning a baby. I've been aware of the fact I need to chew my food to mush.
    following complications after a tonsillectomy in our 2015, I had dysphoria for 16 months. this is when the muscles around the voice box unconsciously tightens. at the time the manager problemishes was it's effects on my voice. I needed 12 months of speech therapy.
    Now my concern is tighened throat muscles when I'm eating post surgery. I'll give the smoothies a go. a little at a a time.
    Before the pre-op diet I was on 1200-1300cals a day losing 56lbs in 9 months. I've shed another 6 lbs in 10 days.
    I work as a health care professional and I've estimated 2-3weeks off work.
    Thank you again for your words and I wish you a full speedy recovery :)