Week Three

Options
I’m into week three and in the past week I’ve been going up and down between two pounds.

If I switch up my food, can this shift the weighloss again?

The first two week I lost 12 pounds.

Replies

• RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Putting this flow chart right here.

For starters its only been a couple weeks. There is no need to switch up your food.. as long as your are sticking to your MFP calorie deficit, give it more time.

tpcgp7ukn48d.jpg
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,759 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    It's a pretty frequent experience to lose quite a bit of weight in the first couple of weeks, partly fat, but also water weight and reduced average digestive system contents from reduced volume if eating. So a fast loss rate is common at first, followed by a more moderate rate.

It's not unusual to have that slightly moderated loss rate coincide with something that increases water weight a bit again, masking one's continuing fat loss. Some things that can increase water weight are
    • time of month for women (very individual, anytime from ovulation through menses, up to several pounds),
    • new exercise (water involved in muscle repair),
    • minor injury or infection or virus (water increases with inflammation),
    • a little more than normal sodium or carbs in the food mix (even if a perfectly healthy amount of either/both - water's involved in processing them),
    • and more.

Don't worry. Water weight fluctuations are a perfectly healthy part of body functioning. Water isn't fat. It will decrease again, unmasking the fast loss that's happening still, just unseen on the scales.

And don't try to reduce water weight by drinking less. That can actually increase water retention. Drink an adequate amount, not a crazy amount, for best results (pale to clear urine is just right).

Patience is the answer. Stay calm, and keep on a healthy course. You can do this!

Beat wishes!

• 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    edited November 2017
    Options
    I would suggest you continue doing what your doing and see what your progress looks like after about 6 weeks. You can probably throw out your results from the first week as large beginner water weight loss that is often seen with diet changes.

Your weight will always fluctuate a bit day to day, so to see the trend representing real progress takes a bit of time. Getting impatient and changing things too frequently can make it hard to tell what is working and whats not.
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    I’m into week three and in the past week I’ve been going up and down between two pounds.

If I switch up my food, can this shift the weighloss again? :D

The first two week I lost 12 pounds.

Stay with it! 2 weeks and 12lbs is outstanding!
    The body needs time to adjust and accept what you are trying to do.
    Weight loss is not a slantboard if you were to gragh it. It is more like a downward steps on a stairway. The flat steps being adjustment period but heading downwards. Be more stubborn than your body is allowing you to be and it will give in to new losses :o:D