MFP says 5 scrambled eggs is 1800 calories lmao

Im at a loss for words, i put in my breakfast of 5 scrambled eggs and 2pcs toast. It tells me i ate 122g of protein and 1800 calories lmao. A scrambled egg is roughly 100 calories so what gives???

Replies

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    For scrambled eggs I do two entries: eggs and oil. There is no knowing how much oil was used in scrambled eggs in the database anyway, even if it looks reasonable (which in this case it doesn't). There is a learning curve to logging, and with time you will pick up on the syntax of "official" entries. (E.g Tomatoes, red, raw, year round average)
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Some database entries are wrong. They are user entered. Information can change for products over time or they made mistakes.
    Some are right for the person who made the entry but not anyone else. Someone else's scrambled egg might include butter, cheese, milk, etc and be much higher calorie.
    Enter food you make as a recipe with the recipe builder. If there is only egg then use a plain egg entry that matches the information you know it should be.
    Use specific entries for items instead of generic. Look for your specific brand of bread not just whole wheat bread.
  • azironasun
    azironasun Posts: 137 Member
    When logging in a cooked combination of items, I break down the meal into it's individual components. For instance, I had an omelet for breakfast. If I look up 'omelet', there's omelets listed from 20 calories to 500 calories. That doesn't help me. I log it per item I used: 2 eggs, 2 egg whites, 1 oz cheese, 1/2 tomato, 1 tbsp basil and 1 tbsp butter. This gives me an accurate reading of the nutritional value.

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Don't use someone else's recipe when you have no idea what they used. Ihop restaurant uses pancake mix in their eggs to make them fluffy - whoever entered those srambled eggs could do something similar. Or they could be including any number of things they add - you have no idea. If you made the eggs enter the eggs as raw eggs and then add whatever else you add to them.
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member
    One egg is roughly 70 calories....about 6g Protein, 0g Carbs and about 5g Fat.

The MFP database is often really off. As so many others have mentioned, it is a 'user created database'. You get what you pay for! Ha! That was funny.

While I do not use MFP for logging my food any longer, I used to do that. And, I created my own entries for the things that I ate. I use the label from the food items mostly.

Also, keep in mind that the food labels are not 100% accurate. There is roughly 10% plus/minus allowed. So, are we really getting 70 calories and 6g of Protein and 5g of Fats from that one egg? No idea. But, being consistent is all that you can control, right? So, if you are consistent then you are good.

So, your five scrambled eggs were more likely 350 Calories, 30g Protein and 25g Fat. I guess that you put A LOT OF butter on your two piecses of toast? LOL!
  • Sp1tfire
    Sp1tfire Posts: 1,120 Member
    Bad database probably from a butter lovin cream chuggin scrambled egg recipe
  • Lean59man
    Lean59man Posts: 714 Member
    Use a non-stick spray like PAM in your skillet. It has practically zero calories.
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    As others have said, the database is loaded with a LOT of crap that various users have put in. Some of the entries are off by a few calories, some don't include macros, others can be off by hundreds of calories (as you've discovered). When I enter something like scrambled eggs, I'll enter the eggs used plus however much butter I've used rather than looking for an entry called "scrambled eggs". I always use grams for weight rather than volume, and have a scale with a tare setting that makes weighing things quick and easy.

When you find a data base entry for something you know is right, you can add it to My Foods. I also have meals I've entered into My Meals for combinations I eat often. When I look something new up, I always scan the search results and if they all look suspicious, I'll go to another site (or a company site) to look up the calories and macros. As others have said, the bar code scanner is a help, too.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Lean59man wrote: »
    Use a non-stick spray like PAM in your skillet. It has practically zero calories.

For a quarter second spray. I did 2-3 seconds for my eggs this morning so that added on (only 20-30 calories, but it's not zero).
  • Lean59man
    Lean59man Posts: 714 Member
    malibu927 wrote: »

For a quarter second spray. I did 2-3 seconds for my eggs this morning so that added on (only 20-30 calories, but it's not zero).

I'm using this one from Aldi's and it says 1/4 sec spray is zero.

I did as long as you did though. Not sure what it would count.

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    malibu927 wrote: »

I'm using this one from Aldi's and it says 1/4 sec spray is zero.

I did as long as you did though. Not sure what it would count.

If you're keen to know, spray your pan while it's on your scale and find an oil entry in grams.
  • cgreer219
    cgreer219 Posts: 3 Member
    Thanks guys, i didnt know the database was user created that helps. Im on a strict 1860 calorie/day and with their stats i woulda been over at breakfast. Wasnt till after that i googled an said wow i only ate like 400 not 1800 lol
  • Dannyboy313
    Dannyboy313 Posts: 14 Member
    That must be some big *kitten* chicken, how did you crack them eggs, a crowbar?? Lol
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    TonyB0588 wrote: »
    cgreer219 wrote: »
    Im at a loss for words, i put in my breakfast of 5 scrambled eggs and 2pcs toast. It tells me i ate 122g of protein and 1800 calories lmao. A scrambled egg is roughly 100 calories so what gives???

I just went back to my last scrambled egg entry and changed it to 5 eggs. It gave me 455 calories, so something must be wrong with the entry you found in the database.

By the way, won't 5 eggs usually serve a small family of 3 or 4 for breakfast? Seems a lot for one person. (I've heard it's one egg per person plus one extra. )

My husband and I split 6-7 eggs when we have scramble. Out omelettes are always 3 each. 1 and a bit is a pittance.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    ...By the way, won't 5 eggs usually serve a small family of 3 or 4 for breakfast? Seems a lot for one person. (I've heard it's one egg per person plus one extra. )

Not in my world. Breakfast this morning for me was 3 eggs, 4 egg whites and 2 slices of toast (along with a serving of Greek yogurt and 30g of Fiber One cereal). One egg wouldn’t even be worth the effort to me.
  • MsHarryWinston
    MsHarryWinston Posts: 1,027 Member
    edited November 2017
    cgreer219 wrote: »

I just went back to my last scrambled egg entry and changed it to 5 eggs. It gave me 455 calories, so something must be wrong with the entry you found in the database.

By the way, won't 5 eggs usually serve a small family of 3 or 4 for breakfast? Seems a lot for one person. (I've heard it's one egg per person plus one extra. )

A single egg per person? That’s just crazy talk! I use egg whites now instead of whole eggs, but even still, I use about 1cup of egg whites. Which equals about 8 whole eggs in volume or something like that. (But only about 125 cals). Which makes for some nice huge yet low cal breakfast fry ups... for me... alone... in my mouth lol.