It’s Like A Switch Turns Off

I’ve gained and lost 60 pounds for the last 10 years. I’m always really committed until I reach my goal. With nowhere to go and nothing to focus on, I end up gaining all or some of the weight back. I’m trying to figure this out and I can’t. I know many people will say it’s mind over matter. I understand the premise. I just can’t get it to play out in my life. Anyone had trouble with this in the past and beaten it?

Replies

• perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    I'm the same way amyn73. I have gained and lost the same 25 lbs over the last 8 years, since the birth of my last child. Before I had her I was at goal for quite some time, now I can't seem to get back to goal and stay there. I always top off at the same exact "highest" weight and can't get back down.
  • saraonly9913
    saraonly9913 Posts: 469 Member
    Check out the "maintaing weight" section for tips.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,463 Member
    edited November 2017
    I've lost 100lbs and been at goal 11yrs. I was so desperate to get off my 60 lb loss plateau, I joined Weight Watchers. Not plugging WW. But my 1 and only time trying it.

First thing I noticed at WW- the revolving door. So when I made goal, I changed nothing. Kept tracking for 5 years before I could maintain for a while without it. Started gaining- back to tracking. Did that twice. Last several years I seem to be doing OK. But my food scale is still on the counter and is used every day.

Only left my WW Meeting because I moved away.

As noted above, goal alone doesn't mean much. WW has the added problem of making a huge deal out of it. But I decided that the up & down, on & off, in and out just wasn't for me. I have no confidence at all in the notion that I could lose a significant amount of weight again.

Helped- I never felt I was deprived when losing. In fact, I'm kind of surprised at how much I can eat and maintain. WL became sort of a puzzle game, just trying to make the pieces fit.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    edited November 2017
    Weigh yourself regularly while in maintenance. And set a window for regain. For me, that is 10 lbs. I am in maintenance (nearly 2 yrs) and my weight routinely bounces around. But if it ever hits 10 lbs above my goal I switch back to diet mode until it's back to goal.

It's so easy to get off track once you are in maintenance and out of the "I must lose weight" mindset. Setting this window helped me. If I gain 5 lbs on vacation or over the holidays, I usually cut back a bit after. But if I go outside that window, it's all hands on deck. No cutting down a little and letting it work itself out. No 'I'll start Monday'. It's weight loss time. Letting myself gain it ALL back is not an option.
  • amyn73
    amyn73 Posts: 241 Member
    Thanks so much, everyone. I understand that I am not a victim in this situation, nor was I suggesting that, even though others took it that way. It's a matter of finding a logical thought process so I can make a plan of action that will stick with me throughout my life. It's not rocket science, I understand that. But sometimes it's so obvious that you miss it. For me, it's about addiction, also. I don't drink or take drugs, but food is almost as bad for me. Like holding a ball under water, I can do it successfully for long periods, until I don't. When I get off, I lose motivation and don't get right back on. I think that's what would make things better. I need to not look at every mistake as a do or die situation, but a "get back on the horse" kind of thing.