Anybody using the Map My Walk App?

Options
Jancandoit7
Jancandoit7 Posts: 356 Member
edited November 2017 in Fitness and Exercise
Started using the Map My Walk app after I figured out that my pedometer is not all that accurate- anybody using this or other GPS apps on phone for walking? Have you found it to be accurate? I always walk trails in a local state park so can't really drive it to see how accurate the app is.

Replies

• rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    I use map my hike. The GPS for distance is accurate-ish - it's usually within .2 miles of itself over a 5 mile stretch. The calorie burns are extravagantly overrated. The elevation is completely inaccurate.

As I understand it, how accurate it is has a lot to do with where you are in relation to cell phone towers, and even weather conditions.
  • Jancandoit7
    Options
    I use map my hike. The GPS for distance is accurate-ish - it's usually within .2 miles of itself over a 5 mile stretch. The calorie burns are extravagantly overrated. The elevation is completely inaccurate.

As I understand it, how accurate it is has a lot to do with where you are in relation to cell phone towers, and even weather conditions.

hmmmm...good to know- wonder how well it tracks in the woods....there was about a half mile difference between my clip on pedometer and the GPS app. Not a big deal if you're a super distance walker- but I'm fairly new at it so would like to keep accurate track of my progress. Thanks for response

• YosemiteSlamAK
    YosemiteSlamAK Posts: 1,230 Member
    Options
    I used the Map My Walk app when I trained for my last half marathon. It was pretty close in terms of distance, I used the same path every time and milestones were consistent within 50ish feet depending on weather & my speed. I only used it for mileage.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Have you tried looking at your park using Google Earth? There's a path tool which allows you to measure distances. A lot of parks have maps online showing distances too.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    Options
    I use Map My Fitness to track walking the dog, hiking, cycling. And I find the GPS tracking to be fairly accurate. Calorie burn - not so much...
  • alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,716 Member
    Options
    I use Map My Walk. Serves me as a logbook for exercise. It's accurate enough for me. It's nice to check times on routes you walk regularly.
  • icemom011
    icemom011 Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I use map my ride for cycling, i find distance and speed accurate, consistent with my bike computer.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I use Map My Fitness. Mostly I find it accurate for distance as long as it can get a good GPS signal. Sometimes it goes completely nuts but you can see it on the map when it does that and suddenly you've walked 3 miles to your left and back again or something ridiculous. The calories though are super inflated - I never even look at them.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Started using the Map My Walk app after I figured out that my pedometer is not all that accurate- anybody using this or other GPS apps on phone for walking? Have you found it to be accurate? I always walk trails in a local state park so can't really drive it to see how accurate the app is.

I'm trying to. Last two times I didn't get it to record my actual walks.
    Prior to that it seemed to match what mapping programs said was the distance between locations and what my pedometer reads.
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    I do use it but only to determine the distance that I walked and the time that it took me to do it. I don't count exercise calories.
  • Jancandoit7
    Options
    Gisel2015 wrote: »
    I do use it but only to determine the distance that I walked and the time that it took me to do it. I don't count exercise calories.

Yeah- I'm thinking that the distance/time looks pretty accurate, but not the calories burned- thank you all for your responses.