I love days where I walk 8miles

Options
I took 15000+ steps yesterday going to a football game at my alma mater. The Main campus alone is 1mile on all four sides. I was 3 miles from main campus tailgating and we were parked 1 mile even further west from our tailgate. So it was 4+ miles to the stadium and back to the car. Not to mention walking up to the second level.

Per my tracker I burned 7k calories. So I did necessarily use it as an excuse to eat crazy. BUT I didn't really worry about calorie counting.

Even though I had a sensible breakfast, a bowl of Texas Style chili with cheese, and 2 cheese filled hot links at the game. I still came in under.

Hellz yeah! THIS is why you work out! :)

Replies

• JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    I walk 20-30k steps while lifting heavy things and even 3k is semi insane tippy top theres no way ....?
  • LBgetsfit
    LBgetsfit Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    7K cals? I ran a half marathon last weekend and came at 4K for the day. Mind you, I went straight to bed after that. But still. I’d say there’s something buggy with your tracker...
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Just checked my Fitbit, last time I hit 15k steps, I had a daily burn of 2908. The only time I crack 3000 is when I'm closer to 20k. Never come close to 4000.
  • ryenday
    ryenday Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    lol Apple Watch gives me like 135 calories for 14000 steps max - and I think that is pretty accurate
  • JaydedMiss
    Options
    Just checked my Fitbit, last time I hit 15k steps, I had a daily burn of 2908. The only time I crack 3000 is when I'm closer to 20k. Never come close to 4000.

Tried to check mine but forgot its been acting buggy this week it gave me a 3160 cal burn yesterday and i took 13.5k steps its way to high lol.

Looking back a few weeks I get 2600 burn from 21k steps so...
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    There's something very wrong with your tracker and how it's calibrated.

Granted that I am older and small and don't weigh very much so my burns aren't anything special...today was a slow day for me since I haven't been feeling well lately. I got 17K steps. My TDEE for the day is going to come in around 1900 calories per my tracker, and I know my tracker is accurate (slightly low, but not by much) for me.
  • Alatariel75
    Options
    I just played with a TDEE calculator and a woman would have to be 5'7 and 660lbs to even approach burning 7000 calories on a very active day. I think your tracker is misleading you.
  • JaydedMiss
    edited November 2017
    Options
    I just played with a TDEE calculator and a woman would have to be 5'7 and 660lbs to even approach burning 7000 calories on a very active day. I think your tracker is misleading you.

doubt someone like that would be walking 8 miles casually lol
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    ryenday wrote: »
    lol Apple Watch gives me like 135 calories for 14000 steps max - and I think that is pretty accurate

That's way too low so at the extreme the other way.

I get about 400 calorie for 10k steps so 600 for 15k. On an 8-10 mile hardcore hike I can be looking at 1300. TDEE would total about 2400-3200 for the above two scenarios. Obviously this is dependent on weight but you'd have to be pretty darn heavy to hit a TDEE of 7k and as above if your weight allowed for it you wouldn't be able to walk 8 miles.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    edited November 2017
    Options

Make your hypothetical woman taller!
  • Alatariel75
    edited November 2017
    Options

Make your hypothetical woman taller!

At 6', she'd still have to be 600lbs! -oh, and that's with a daily exercise level of "Athlete"
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    edited November 2017
    Options
    ryenday wrote: »

That's very low unless you're barely registering movement and going very slowly about your business or something like that.

Even then, it's still too low.

• PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,939 Member
    Options
    I suspect the OP made a typo and is talking about 700 extra Cal from the walking which would be perfectly believable.

The highest Fitbit day I could find for myself was a hike day (with some elevation) at 198.5lbs (BMI of 31).
    41,821 steps, Fitbit TDEE for the day 5,667.

At the time I was losing with an approximately 3% divergence from Fitbit TDEE, so I would have considered it a ~5,500 Cal day :wink:
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    I suspect the OP made a typo and is talking about 700 extra Cal from the walking which would be perfectly believable.

The highest Fitbit day I could find for myself was a hike day (with some elevation) at 198.5lbs (BMI of 31).

At the time I was losing with an approximately 3% divergence from Fitbit TDEE, so I would have considered it a ~5,500 Cal day :wink:

Yeah, my best day was 60,225 steps, most of it on a hike, total elevation gain of 1237m, Fitbit TDEE 4531 cals.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    When I trail run in the hills I burn about 800 extra calories for 8 miles. Running a marathon barely gets me more than 2500 calories, and my hardcore backpacking adventures have never gone over 3000. Not sure where your 7k is coming from...You'd have to be a really BIG dude putting in massive work to put up those numbers. I would question that tracker. :o
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    PAV8888 wrote: »

Yeah, my best day was 60,225 steps, most of it on a hike, total elevation gain of 1237m, Fitbit TDEE 4531 cals.

Some day, when this thyroid mess/PsA flare/whatever's-going-on-with-me fatigue passes, I am going to try to best that record of yours.

One day, missy.

It'll probably be without the elevation gain, though. It's not really prime hiking territory around these parts.

Awesome, will give me an incentive to beat it!!

I well remember that day. It was a few weeks after getting the 50K step badge,which at the time I said 'I never need to do that again'. Then did it by accident, and realised how close I was to 60K, and forced myself to walk a bit further to get it. Which conveniently had me go past the gelato shop on my way home. And the liquor shop to grab some watermelon cider. Both well deserved. The most annoying bit was that I didn't check 'floors' and was only 10 off my 700 badge. Still haven't gotten that one.