re-inventing how I eat

Options
I do not want to just make some adjustments to my old way of eating. I decided to blow it up and re-invent it. I have been in diet mode, eating very differently from how I used to. I have lost 34 pounds so far with 24 to go. Continuing to be on a restricted diet is not sustainable. I might get to goal doing it, but then what?

I have been re-evaluating what I really like versus stuff I just ate. I am thinking about giving up certain foods that I ate when available but usually don't buy for myself. A couple of examples are donuts and chips. Most cookies, even Oreos, are not really a favorite but I ate them. I can just stop eating these or at least I hope so.

The stuff I do like is a harder thing to adjust. I love pecan pie. Butter pecan ice cream. See a trend? A handful of pecans is good too. Chocolate Moose Tracks ice cream. Raisins by the handful; better yet Raisinets. White chocolate chunk macadamia nut cookies. these are things I like and I don't think I should totally deny myself treats I like. Allowing treats and keeping it reasonable is not going to be easy.

Does making rules about how you eat work? I am hoping I will start to adopt them as just normal habits.

In the past, I tried to just go back to eating "normally", trying to limit indulgences, and depend on dieting when I got to the top of the range. I would extend the range and put off starting another diet and then the next thing you know I am off to the races gaining again. My old normal won't work.

One thing I decided to do this time is use BMI. I will get below 25 and the rule is if I ever get to or above 25, I have to cut back or start a diet and get back below. No arbitrary range that I can increase. No putting it off; line in the sand.

I would love some feedback from others who have kept weight off multiple years. I keep failing at keeping it off. Will stricter rules work? Lax ones sure haven't.

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    You posted a thread yesterday about a doctor prescribed low starch diet. What are your goals? Does the doctor's goal factor in?
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    You posted a thread yesterday about a doctor prescribed low starch diet. What are your goals? Does the doctor's goal factor in?

Yesterday I was talking about the author of most of the medical articles on the connection between a blood antigen I have, arthritic flares I get, a gut microbe that thrives only in starch and the relief many people are getting going low or no starch. My doc knows I am doing this but all she said was let her know how it's going at my physical next month. She has had mixed feelings about my diets in the past; I show up at a healthier weight but with too much lost in too little time. I overdo it sometimes; see the pattern? Then a few months later my weight is back up.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    I think not eating food you don't really like is a good first step. I did that also. When you have a limited number of calories and carbs you can eat (I am diabetic) you have to set priorities. After a while I thought I was going to go mad wanting a double chocolate chip cookie. I knew I didn't have the calories to eat them every day and they are problematic for my blood sugar. So I figured out what I thought was the best possible cookie, bought one, broke it in half, which conveniently made it 30g net carbs, and ate it over two days. It satisfied the urge and I haven't had another, but I know I can if I want to.

Finding lower calorie alternatives can help you stay within your allotment, but it's not always possible. I love pecan pie too but haven't found one which is both low in carbs and satisfying. My great-grandmother's recipe is 60g net carbs for a small slice, which is more than I can handle. Ones with artificial sweeteners just aren't doing it for me, and half a small slice just seems depressing. Oh, well.

Does Halo Top make butter pecan?
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    edited November 2017
    Options

Yesterday I was talking about the author of most of the medical articles on the connection between a blood antigen I have, arthritic flares I get, a gut microbe that thrives only in starch and the relief many people are getting going low or no starch. My doc knows I am doing this but all she said was let her know how it's going at my physical next month. She has had mixed feelings about my diets in the past; I show up at a healthier weight but with too much lost in too little time. I overdo it sometimes; see the pattern? Then a few months later my weight is back up.

Thus my question about the sugar bombs yesterday. :-)
    Hope you find what works for you. See my other reply for what worked for me.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,649 Member
    Options
    Take. Your. Time.
    it helps you figure out stuff.

Maybe... start eating at the calories a lightly active or even sedentary person will eat at your goal weight assuming that won't create too big of a deficit.

Then start figuring out the trade offs you will have to keep making even after you stop dieting... use the time of losing weight as a practice period.
  • CarvedTones
    Options

Sugar bombs were fruit. In the last few days, they were specifically ripe bartlett pears, 6 oz and 100 calories. I am actually trying to treat my dieting disorder with those and almond butter. The disorder is overdoing it and averaging under 1000 over the course of several days. That also has to stop.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

Sugar bombs were fruit. In the last few days, they were specifically ripe bartlett pears, 6 oz and 100 calories. I am actually trying to treat my dieting disorder with those and almond butter. The disorder is overdoing it and averaging under 1000 over the course of several days. That also has to stop.

I understood that they were fruit. I just wasn't sure how they fit into your low starch protocol.

If you're a man, regularly eating fewer than 1000 calories (I wondered that yesterday) then I'd suggest focusing on a way to lose weight while still fueling your body (thus my suggestion to eat avocados and olives and the like).

Best of luck with whatever you find that works for you. I hope you find it soon.
  • CarvedTones
    Options
    I am doing better on getting more calories. That low average is not what I am currently doing. I still need to bump it up some more though. I got a thread closed for talking in too much detail about the low number and the results.
  • Javagal2778
    Javagal2778 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I have done something similar. I adopted the One Bite rule (coined by Melissa Hartwig from the Whole30). I allow myself any foods but it has to taste amazing in that first bite or it's not worth it. I have learned a lot about the foods I actually like/don't like by slowing down and actually tasting them.
    With alcohol, I realized I was using it to cope with feeling stressed/sad/tired. Now, before I have a drink, I ask myself why I want it. My rule is to only drink when I have time to truly enjoy the drink. There are so many times when i am passing on it because I want the drink to cope not enjoy. My alcohol intake has significantly decreased because of this new approach.
    I think you will learn a lot about yourself with your new approach. It won't be perfect, you'll make slip ups along the way but you will still be in a different, better place than where you started. :)
  • acfisher88
    acfisher88 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I used to be the same about breakroom-type food. If it's there, I'll have it because why not... What really helped me was thinking about all these foods as options; putting OR between them instead of AND.

So I allow myself one treat a day that fits in with my calorie limit, but I can only choose one. So I CAN have that muffin after a morning meeting if I want to, but then that means I won't be having that slice of pecan pie for my colleague's birthday that afternoon (which I absolutely will not be able to resist!).

It changed my thinking so that I'm always waiting for something better to come along. I'm not denying myself something I know will taste good, I just know I'll kick myself if it's not as good as something I could have had later. Sometimes it actually leads me to not having anything, because I've passed up everything earlier in the day and there's nothing that excited me enough.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Just about anyone who got big and obese had some habits of extravagantly consuming calories. While I didn't have the habit of making my own nachos and eating Oreos while waiting for the cheese to melt, I did have the habit of often making Bisquick pancakes, slathering butter on them, and drowning them in corn syrup. Simply writing about it puts me at risk of reverting to it. I no longer have such pancakes in my list of choices for breakfast. In a similar way, I identified several other obesogenic habits that were uniquely mine and worked to eliminate them. The easiest for me to eliminate were the first to go. Those were the drive-through restaurants. I have not ordered a Jack-In-The-Box Ultimate Cheeseburger now for nearly 17 years, nor have I super-sized a McDonald's Big Max Extra Value Meal. In your case, look at your own habits and decide which are the easiest to change. Knock those out quickly. After that, keep up with the self-examination and find one or two habits that might be more difficult to change, and start working on those. With mindful attention to yourself, you'll be able to do it. In time, you'll become slim and healthy.
  • CarvedTones
    Options
    @acfisher88 - the large muffins I am talking about are fat bombs packing about 600 calories each. One would carve out a really big hole in the day's planned diet.

@JeromeBarry1 - my worst eating out was at buffets. After finishing a loaded plate and going back for seconds on a couple of entrees, I would hit the dessert bar using a dinner plate or a bowl from the soup station, Chocolate silk pie with banana pudding next to it so I could get a spoon full with some of both was a favorite. I am lucky to have only been about 60 to 65 pounds overweight (to get to the very top of the healthy range). When I bought extra pants at what I had committed to being the largest size, I got ones with an elastic waistband.

I finally got disgusted with myself and went into extreme dieting mode. I always start diets that way to give myself a "lead to protect" pretty quickly so I won't postpone starting the diet (which I had problems with). I stayed in that mode longer than I should have, but have been upping calories to a more healthy diet. I go from one extreme to the other. I get obsessed with losing and impatient to see the scale move and have trouble continuing to eat after dinner, which I keep light. I have gotten better about it but I still need to push the calorie count higher.