Rest Day Advice

Options
ttreit
ttreit Posts: 59 Member
edited November 2017 in Fitness and Exercise
So I started going to the gym and am really trying to make it a habit so I told myself I have to go to the gym every single day. Once I get there I can turn around and go home, but not going is not an option.

So far, that's been a good strategy for me.

I'm doing 45+ minutes on the treadmill and every other day I add one or two weight training exercises focusing for now on learning the right form. It's intimidating to hit the weights but I'm determined to "get over myself" so I just start doing it from the beginning. If there's one thing a lot of people have said about their weight loss journey it's that they wished they had started with weights sooner. I'm not starting very quickly (I think I did 7 minutes total yesterday) but every other day I try to do something.

I really like going to the gym every day. I understand it's important to rest for weight training so I'm just building the weight lifting part of my routine to be every other day for now. Eventually I'll know enough exercises to maybe work different parts of the body on alternating days but that's down the road.

My question is what about walking? Should I be taking a rest day once a week? More? Less? It's mentally helpful to walk every day but if it's physically better to have a rest day I should probably build that in. I'm trying to build good habits from the start. I walked through my day 2+ blisters and one day I cut my work out short because my ankle started to hurt so I'm also trying to listen to my body. What's best for the long term?

Replies

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    ttreit wrote: »
    So I started going to the gym and am really trying to make it a habit so I told myself I have to go to the gym every single day. Once I get there I can turn around and go home, but not going is not an option.

I like this. It's good to be physically active daily, even if it's not at a gym. Walking daily or even multiple times daily is fine, if you feel fine. Just avoid walking in shoes with a raised heel, which most shoes have, because it can cause the issues you experienced. Good shoes include Keds, skateboard shoes, Altras, and Converse.. assuming they're comfortable.

For strength training, follow a proven program for best results. :+1:
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    If you're going from no exercise to doing something every day that may be a bit of a jump, start slow and build up. Walking every day shouldn't be a problem
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    A lot of trainers recommend active rest, which basically means being active on your rest days in a way that doesn't stress your body. Walking, yoga, low impact activities, that sort of thing.

Listen to your body about how many rest days you need. I've found that I feel much better if I get two in a row every week, which allows me to have at least one day when nothing hurts. But I'm old, diabetic, and tend to get DOMS a lot. A younger, healthier person might be fine with one rest day.
  • pogiguy05
    pogiguy05 Posts: 1,583 Member
    Options
    Invest in a good pair of shoes. I am flat footed as you can get so arch supports really kill me in that area. Definitely listen to your body and this is all a change in lifestyle that will work long term. There is no need to try and do to much to fast and hurt yourself.
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    I don't see an issue with walking every day, especially if you enjoy it. If you get bored or your ankle hurts, maybe try the stationary bike while you're at the gym.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,988 Member
    Options
    If you feel tired or sore or both, just rest.

There's nothing wrong w/taking a day or 2 off and, if you are putting a strain on your body, it's beneficial.

But, if you don't feel tired or sore, nothing wrong w/taking a walk or doing any other exercise. Just listen to your body.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,715 Member
    Options
    Never push yourself if you're injured, but walking every day is fine.

I agree with everyone else regarding well fitted, proper walking shoes. Running shoes don't give walkers the correct support. If possible, get 2 or 3 pairs of shoes and rotate them daily.

Feel free to mix it up, too. Try the elliptical or the bike or the rower. Creating a workout habit is great but don't burn yourself out.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    if you feel fine still then go right ahead. there might come a point further along where you're putting so much into the weights that you'd rather adjust the walking, and that's fine too. or dial it back down with the weights.

thing to remember is: it's okay to adjust and adapt as you adjust and adapt physically. after all, that's kind of the point of the gym in the first place - physical change. congrats about the habit forming idea.
  • ttreit
    ttreit Posts: 59 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Pretty much what I was thinking.

I do have a good pair of Brooks walking shoes that work very well for me and I keep them just for my work outs. I definitely plan to expand to the elliptical and other things but for now I'm trying to use the next 4-6 weeks to establish healthy habits. And for me keeping the same routine helps establish things.

I'm a live sound engineer and the majority of most gigs is loading heavy gear in and out so it was no problem to start walking for 45 minutes carrying nothing. :smile: I did get a few blisters but those have gone away. I've been to the gym every day since last Monday and it's amazing how much better I already feel. Now to keep it up!

I haven't had a show (other than my regular bar gig that has no load in/out) since I started so I haven't figured out how much to work out on gig days. They usually are 14+hours and my old strategy was to conserve as much energy as possible on them. It would not be fun to go to the gym after a show so I suppose I should just go in early in the morning and do some light cardio to warm my body up for the day.
  • tess5036
    tess5036 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    I go to the gym every day. I do treadmill, weights,band body combat classes. After a heavy day I make sure the next one is a lighter day, bit I still go. It seems to be working.