Help

Options
I am almost recovered from my groin injury, or well enough to start going to the gym on a regular basis. But I do need help. I want to start being strict again, both with weight loss and nutrition. My problem is, whether it is nutrition or exercise, I will do things for a week or two and then I will lose interest. I know i need to be more involved and stay committed but i almost always fall off. I have been trying to walk for an hour inside my house just to try and do something while i recover, which is good. I have a problem staying on task, meaning i will exercise but not eat healthy or vise versa. I need help or advice on what you have done or what you have witnessed in this situation. I am determined to do this, but maybe I need help staying motivated

Replies

• davidylin
    davidylin Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Motivation is temporary by nature. Seek to build habits that will carry you forward when you don't want to think about it any more.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Maybe the being strict is the problem. Why not log your food for a week and see what changes you can add that won't feel like a sacrifice? Make smaller changes that you can live with.

Change your mindset, change your life. I had a history of going severely strict and then giving in because it was too much of a change. With smaller changes, came greater success because I could keep those changes going.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Don't try to stay motivated. Find and do things that feel meaningful to you - walking in place for an hour, and eating healthy, would bore me to death. Take advantage of your need for change. Try new things - eat different foods, try different activities. I don't eat boring tasteless food, I plan and eat meals I want to eat, I don't do any planned or organized exercise, I dance and play and walk and do housework.

If you really struggle to stick to the easiest of tasks, even tasks you'd enjoy, maybe you should check out if you have depression or ADHD or something.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Motivation can be fleeting. I find it more productive to make sustainable changes because I lack the discipline to be strict with myself day-in, day-out.

I set positive goals for myself: Rather than just saying "eat healthy," I plan meals around foods that I know make me feel good and I try new things each week. Rather than saying "exercise more," I set fitness goals and pick activities that I enjoy. If I feel like I'm having to force myself to eat something (or not eat something) or do a certain exercise, then I stop and look at what is happening and what I can do to adjust it.
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    One of the things that got me walking was Zombies Run app. I didn't run but it was pretty cool to feel like I was walking for a purpose and the episodes are quite entertaining.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    capaul42 wrote: »
    One of the things that got me walking was Zombies Run app. I didn't run but it was pretty cool to feel like I was walking for a purpose and the episodes are quite entertaining.

Love that app. I listened to it while on vacation this summer. I walked over 111 miles over the three weeks. It was so much fun to have the story to listen while walking.
  • DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Walking around your house for an hour? That sounds a little dull. Is there some reason you can't walk in a park, along a bike path, around your neighborhood? It's refreshing to get outside, you can still go at a leisurely pace, and there's more to see. You can always turn around and go home if you feel you're overextended. I'd certainly get depressed and de-motivated if I was confined indoors.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    Diet is key. If you are going to lose weight you must create a calorie deficit. If you had to pick between diet and exercise I would focus on diet and make it a priority. The adage is true - you can't out run/exercise a bad diet.
  • orangpeel757
    orangpeel757 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I like to read some of the posts on the success forum for inspiration and to remind myself that my weight loss is going to take time. I just need to be persistent and forgive myself when I slip up.

I also recommend enlisting the help of a friend/family member to set up regular walks, starting slowly at first with short walks and then building up to longer walks.

You could also make post-its listing what's motivating you an leave them around the house. Want to take a trip? Put up some pictures of the places you would like to visit. Are you losing for health reasons? Maybe put up a copy of a troubling test result to remind yourself that you're trying to fix something that could turn into a bigger issue.
  • rjel78
    rjel78 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I walk at home because I am recovering from an injury, therefore I am taking it slow. I won’t go to a gym , do my regular routine and get hurt again. I’m being careful with this injury. I could be sitting here but I am making an attempt at being active.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,675 Member
    Options
    You might want to set yourself some goals like walking a 5k in a month. Then walking a faster 5k a month after that. Or hiking a trail that you enjoy walking. Having something to look forward to can make it easier to work hard now.

My mother was obese. Many years ago, we decided to do a trip to England and knew that the trip would require a lot of walking. In the 2 or 3 months before we went, she had no problem getting motivated to walk every day and do other exercises to get in shape. It made a huge difference to our enjoyment of the vacation. Afterwards, we got a dog, and though she wasn't as motivated, she did try to give her dog daily walks. I've known people who wanted to hike the AT or the Grand Canyon. They spent months getting in shape. Anticipation makes it easy.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    Maybe the being strict is the problem. Why not log your food for a week and see what changes you can add that won't feel like a sacrifice? Make smaller changes that you can live with.

Change your mindset, change your life. I had a history of going severely strict and then giving in because it was too much of a change. With smaller changes, came greater success because I could keep those changes going.

This^

Weight loss shouldn't be about extremes. Trying to be oh so perfect until you reach your goal weight. Weight loss is just the first step.
  • kcn2bluesky
    kcn2bluesky Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    rjel78 wrote: »
    I walk at home because I am recovering from an injury, therefore I am taking it slow. I won’t go to a gym , do my regular routine and get hurt again. I’m being careful with this injury. I could be sitting here but I am making an attempt at being active.

No need to take offence to @DebLaBounty. I think her point was that if you can walk for an hour inside your home, you can walk outside as well. You might find it enjoyable to walk outside in the fresh air and find motivation in your walks! I would be bored senseless by walking around inside my home for an hour.

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    rjel78 wrote: »

No need to take offence to @DebLaBounty. I think her point was that if you can walk for an hour inside your home, you can walk outside as well. You might find it enjoyable to walk outside in the fresh air and find motivation in your walks! I would be bored senseless by walking around inside my home for an hour.

I like waking videos (especially when the weather is nasty).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njeZ29umqVE
  • CILLAJ8
    CILLAJ8 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Start with your diet and make small changes. If you like something, continue to eat it in moderation. Just make it fit into your daily allowance. One day at a time. Read the success stories, blogs, and reach out to your fitness family. You can do it if you set your mind to it.