Replies

• garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options

ritzvin wrote: »
    jnmalsch wrote: »
    I
    Life changed then. I started dating. Dating is what led to the weight creeping on. I regained 30 over the next 12 months. I met a man fell in love GOT COMFORTABLE. never shared my weight loss journey with him and accompanied him on fast food and restaurant trips almost nightly. little by little the weight came back. we got married I stopped caring about weight and before I knew it had gained 60 that year.

Frequent restaurant meals make it nearly impossible to maintain weight. Even when cutting it down to tiny portions, it'll still be a huge amount compared to eating at home -- since everything is made to taste as good as possible without regard to calories (so lots of added calories in the form of oils, butter, cream sauces, etc in unchecked quantities). Plus-Add in some table bread, wine, a restaurant-style dessert - and dear god the calories!

This hasn't been the case for me. One of the reasons I had surgery was to improve my quality of life. Eating and socializing are part of that and I choose to fit that in. I have never been to any restaurant where I couldn't find something to eat that fit in with my calories, macros etc. I can't eat a large quantity of food, but I sure like to have a few good bites, and that's totally doable with a little planning.
  • jnmalsch
    jnmalsch Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    restaurant meals were awful for me. When I say dating I was dating I would go on 2-3 different dates a week. so there was a ton of eating out. small portions or not it definitely halted and reversed my weight loss.
    I also have no dumping so I never was really restricted on what I ate just how much I ate and boy do those wine calories slide down easy. I regret it now. I didn't in the process. I hope I can get at least 60 of this regain off...
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    I
    Life changed then. I started dating. Dating is what led to the weight creeping on. I regained 30 over the next 12 months. I met a man fell in love GOT COMFORTABLE. never shared my weight loss journey with him and accompanied him on fast food and restaurant trips almost nightly. little by little the weight came back. we got married I stopped caring about weight and before I knew it had gained 60 that year.

Frequent restaurant meals make it nearly impossible to maintain weight. Even when cutting it down to tiny portions, it'll still be a huge amount compared to eating at home -- since everything is made to taste as good as possible without regard to calories (so lots of added calories in the form of oils, butter, cream sauces, etc in unchecked quantities). Plus-Add in some table bread, wine, a restaurant-style dessert - and dear god the calories!

I'm at the point now that I can generally go to a restaurant and order something that will keep well, eat an appropriate portion and save the rest for future lunch(es).

HOWEVER, when we are on vacation (we went to Disneyland and San Diego a few weeks ago) and we eat at a restaurant with a gf menu that includes safe versions of food I usually can't have I have no brakes. Appetizers, entrée, desert, wine, all the good stuff. Then I'm up with heartburn all night, but it never stops me.

If I had access to those kinds of restaurants on a regular basis I think I might find it extremely difficult to maintain my weight loss because I haven't developed any strategies for dealing with it.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    at the time I was eating about 1000 calories a day. when I asked my nutritionist she said to cut it back down to 800 and that got disheartening. I know your metabolism slows way down right after surgery but can you bump it back up I don't even have a clue what calories range I should be in. Right now I am trying to hit the 1000 calorie mark again.

This thread has gotten far from the original post - no one seems to have addressed this. Why is the OP not losing at 1000 calories a day? That seems very unlikely, but it seems the nutritionist believes her.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    at the time I was eating about 1000 calories a day. when I asked my nutritionist she said to cut it back down to 800 and that got disheartening. I know your metabolism slows way down right after surgery but can you bump it back up I don't even have a clue what calories range I should be in. Right now I am trying to hit the 1000 calorie mark again.

This thread has gotten far from the original post - no one seems to have addressed this. Why is the OP not losing at 1000 calories a day? That seems very unlikely, but it seems the nutritionist believes her.

Good point. The OP's diary is open.

@jnmalsch for yesterday's frittata, soup, and cabbage rolls - did you put them in the recipe builder yourself?
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    mph323 wrote: »
    I

I'm at the point now that I can generally go to a restaurant and order something that will keep well, eat an appropriate portion and save the rest for future lunch(es).

Same here.. but most restaurant food is calorie dense enough that 1/3 of the meal (not counting extras) is still significantly more calories than what I have otherwise.. which adds up if you don't skip another meal now and then.

(ETA: and 1/4 of the meal in a custard cup isn't generally very satisfying for me at least).
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,218 Member
    Options

I just assumed she was under-counting.. the nutritionist might even have figured as much and decided telling her to eat 800 was more likely to be successful than telling her to get a food scale.

She didn't regain the weight eating 800-1000 calories a day. She gained because she was preoccupied with dating and later with her marriage and stopped managing her weight/diet. She's trying to lose on the restricted calories and finds the restriction a bit disheartening and possibly hard to sustain.
  • ritzvin
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Good point. The OP's diary is open.

@jnmalsch for yesterday's frittata, soup, and cabbage rolls - did you put them in the recipe builder yourself?

..and everything else is listed in even quantities of cups/ounces/scoops - so at best: volume measured, and at worst: eyeballed.
  • ritzvin
    Options
    jseams1234 wrote: »

I just assumed she was under-counting.. the nutritionist might even have figured as much and decided telling her to eat 800 was more likely to be successful than telling her to get a food scale.

She didn't regain the weight eating 800-1000 calories a day. She gained because she was preoccupied with dating and later with her marriage and stopped managing her weight/diet. She's trying to lose on the restricted calories and finds the restriction a bit disheartening and possibly hard to sustain.

It wasn't completely clear to me when she was eating the 1000, to which the nutritionist told here to drop to 800.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »

How do you sabotage the surgery? Calorie dense foods eaten frequently.

Which is exactly what derails most weight loss plans...

• jessicapk
    jessicapk Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »
    Quasita wrote: »
    Not to be overly negative but the problems with weight loss surgeries such as gastric bypass is they use a method to lose weight that is not a method you can employ to maintain weight.

If you lose weight by teaching yourself how to eat a certain number of calories daily then over the years you are doing that you teach yourself routines and systems and management strategies for being able to eat an appropriate amount. It is those things that allow you to then transition smoothly into maintenance and keep at your goal weight. If instead you lose weight by stapling your stomach so you literally cannot eat more than a few bites then you aren't teaching yourself any habits or skills that you can carry over into maintenance. You will lose the weight but as your stomach stretches back and regrows you won't have put into place any strategies or routines whereby you will maintain your weight.

I guess my point is you need to count calories and learn how many calories you personally need to maintain your weight and then continue to count calories daily and stick around that number for as many months or years as it takes to build up the collection of habits necessary for you to no longer require counting. You will need to find what foods work for you that allow you to hit that calorie goal while remaining satisfied. That is as true of maintenance as it is of loss, its just people who lost weight by calorie counting have already taught themselves how to do that while those who lost by surgery haven't yet.

I think this comment basically assumes that all WLS patients refuse to learn through the classes and teaching that is a part of the process of having surgery. The fact that you state "stapling the stomach" to not be able to eat more than a few bites tells me that you know rather little about what the process entails.
    If you are trying to go through insurance (in the US at least) it typically takes 6-12 months of pre-op training with a dietitian, a physiologist and a psychologist, along with routine bloodwork, weight loss goals and more, all structured around teaching new habits, a better relationship with food and how to determine whether a food will be good for you or not. Effectively, if you go about it the way you should, you are actually taught a very sustainable, routine/system/management style that can be maintained for LIFE. Typically, these programs also follow you for a year+ after surgery in order to make sure you maintain what you've learned and learn coping skills to address the issues that come up after the fact.

The problem is that there are many patients that don't take it seriously... Doing the bare minimum to get to surgery, or even worse, bypassing the pre-qualifying steps to go the elective route, getting a WLS procedure done through a service that doesn't provide any pre or post op services.

Surgical weight loss is supposed to provide restriction for the initial period to cause immediate weight loss but the stomach is supposed to expand over time. Eventually, it'll be able to tolerate a modest meal, and that's 100% what is supposed to happen. Will it ever expand to 40oz (the average stomach size) again? Probably not. However, no one ever said that you'd be restricted for life... and absolutely every step of the way for me, they stressed the importance of learning nutrition skills, setting exercise routines and figuring out the best way to do you.

Essentially, I equate it to taking an anti-depressant when you are having an acute depressive episode. They aren't intended to be taken for life for most people. What they are intended to do is treat symptoms immediately so that you can focus on learning coping skills and working with a therapist so that when you eventually take away the medications, you can rely on your skills to maintain. Some people take this very seriously and maintain without meds with success (for example, I am going almost 5 years strong now myself) but others assume that meds will just fix the problem, and are completely unprepared when normalcy comes back.

I have a book-thick binder of tips, guidelines, skill sheets, resources, I have a hotline I can call if I have concerns, I have a therapist I see weekly, I monitor my intake... I invested in this and taught myself a lot. I won't claim that I will never regain but I'm pretty confident in my choices and my skills. I eat mostly regular foods, I have desserts sometimes, I enjoy my LIFE.

I found the surgery process and my pure non-surgical weight loss to be pretty similar. Both required regular logging and attention to detail. Both require exercise, adequate sleep, good water intake and vitamins. Both require therapy and social support. The only real difference for me is that surgery broke a year long weight loss stall that I couldn't break on my own or with purely non-surgical methods assisted from medical personnel.

The way I see it is, surgery ultimately does exactly what we're all trying to do here, but just adds an undeniable physical limitation for most WLS patients (not all have stomach "stapling" done ya know). Just like a non-surgery patient, if you buy into a program to dictate all your steps for you without learning more about the details, you'll inevitably fail when you remove the program guidelines from the equation. However, if you take the time to learn the how, why and what of it all, you can successfully transition without much issue.

The average WLS patient might experience 25% regain, but that's the average. Some patients regain it all, some never regain a pound. We all typically gain weight as we age and our bodies and needs change anyway, so the vast majority of people on MFP will gain some of the weight they've lost here, regardless of how they did it. Talking about it like they are somehow completely different is not particularly accurate.

I'll admit I have no experience and little knowledge about weight loss surgery. That said if one is capable of learning sustainable eating habits through coursework and practice then why is the surgery even neccessary?

I guess I am assuming that if someone resorts to surgery it is because they have not been able to control their weight just through willpower and self-imposed caloric restriction through self taught dietary habits. If a person was capable of that why elect to have surgery?

After the surgery occurs ones biology and ability to eat is altered in a way that one can no longer experientially learn proper eating habits simply because restrictions are in place due to the surgery that will not be there a year or so later when maintenance is required. So again if you are to learn the habits necessary for maintenance you'd have to do so before the surgery took place in which case why is the surgery necessary?

I have the same confusion about how appetite suppressants are supposed to help. If one learns to eat a reasonable amount while on appetite suppressants they haven't really learned how to eat a reasonable amount while not on appetite suppressants. Eventually they will have to stop taking the appetite suppressants in which case they haven't really been prepared for what will be required for maintenance and will either regain a lot of their weight while attempting to learn or they won't learn and will regain all of the weight.

Surgery and appetite suppressants just seem to be placeholders. Eventually, at some point, one has to learn proper eating without relying on them anyways...so why not start there and skip the dangers of surgery or appetite suppressants.

I do understand if it is a matter of life or death for someone morbidly obese surgery might be the best course of action but the rebound is still an issue.

I can't speak with experience on the weight loss surgery end of things but I imagine it's the same as with appetite suppressants. One of the reasons it is drawn out how it is to establish new habits. If you stay on Adipex for 3 months and eat properly the whole time, you will both lose weight and you will have enough time in to establish the proper habits. Just like surgery, it's up to you to do the right thing but the surgery or the pills are merely a tool to help you get to the right place. In my case, I started Adipex because I could not get into the groove of calorie counting, no matter how hard I tried. Once I was on it a month and had some good habits going and some weight loss to boost my motivation, I went off and it's been easy ever since. They are tools, not solutions. Buy a hammer and it's not going to fasten two pieces of wood together for you but it damn sure makes it easier.
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,218 Member
    Options

It wasn't completely clear to me when she was eating the 1000, to which the nutritionist told here to drop to 800.

Yeah, it's not very clear. I had to go back and reread the thread to figure it out... I think. lol
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Quasita wrote: »

Okay so now I am confused again. Based on what you said here in what way do you actually disagree with what I said? I was saying that the weight loss surgery itself doesn't prepare you for maintenance and if you opted to have surgery you clearly struggled with eating in a way that allowed you to lose weight consistently. That eventually you would have to come to terms with the underlying issues surrounding your weight gain or you won't be able to maintain after surgery. Based on what you said here it seems to me like you agree with all of that.

I was just telling the OP that her focus should be on learning the tools necessary that are used for weight loss (calorie counting, meal prep, figuring out ones TDEE) since they are also used for controlled maintenance. I was adding that I assumed if she opted for surgery she hadn't quite gotten a handle on those yet because if she had the surgery would not have been necessary. So what about that do you disagree with?

As for the OP not weighing in I understand that I just chose to apologize to the OP if I at all offended them because your posts did rightfully point out I don't have experience or full understanding of all that goes along with weightloss surgery. The OP was the one asking for advice not you so I apologized to her.

I disagree with the continued, underlying assumption that a person would opt for surgery because they have not gotten a handle on the tools necessary for weight loss and controlled maintenance. It's really incredibly assumptive and closed-minded, and for someone that has repeatedly stated he knows nothing about the process, it also comes off as insulting. A decent % of surgery recipients have proven successful adherence and small success in traditional CICO and that's precisely why they are considered optimal candidates for surgical intervention. You talk about it like a person just walks in and says "I'm fat, please fix me cuz I can't do it myself." when the reality of the situation is, patients walk in saying "I know I need professional help that is beyond my capacity to manage on my own, please help me be a healthier person." That management is NOT about eating habits exclusively, though for some it might be. In fact, if you struggle with compulsive eating disorder, have had uncontrollable binges, stuff like that? You don't get to do surgery.

A person cannot be successful with surgery without willpower, perseverance and dedication. PERIOD.

No, a patient didn't "clearly struggle with eating in a way that allowed you to lose weight consistently." There are many established medical reasons why surgery becomes a part of the equation, and not all surgical candidates are incapable of monitoring their food intake. Many candidates are doing it because all traditional methods are failing and thus, employing the changes to digestion (which again, nothing to do with eating style and you cannot do this without surgery) is what propels the weight loss more than anything. It's not a "clear" indication of struggling to adhere to a plan. It's a clear indication that more aggressive tactics are needed than plugging into a calculator and counting estimated calories.

I've repeatedly stated that there is more to it than restriction from a physical standpoint, and frankly, I'm not going to continue repeating myself.

Your initial message to OP was that your problem with it is that WLS does not provide a method that is sustainable for a lifetime of success. That's the very first thing you said in this thread. THAT, I have a problem with. I've yet to meet a recipient, other than those that travel to Mexico for elective procedures, that did not go through a rigorous and thorough education program and at least 2 years of medical monitoring. It's a serious, lifelong, life-altering procedure and I'm tired of people acting like it's for the lazy and those that can't control themselves... because the reality is? If you are considered lazy and unable to control yourself, you'll be disqualified as a candidate for surgery.

Now, please, go educate yourself on the subject. Thanks

Here's my confusion. Every one of us loses weight by consuming fewer calories than we require to maintain our current weight. What about "traditional CICO" has failed them? There are a few medical conditions that can make it a bit harder but not so significantly so that it stops someone big enough for WLS losing or even someone pretty close to a healthy weight.
  • aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    Options

OP said "at the time I was eating 1,000 calories a day". I assume that this was during the 7 months OP lost 160 pounds. I also assume that OP has increased calorie intake since, up over maintenance.
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    I personally have not had weight loss surgery but I know a lot of people personally who have and some are very close to me. Here are the issues I have seen in Canada.

1. The education surrounding it is lack luster at best
    2. the professionals they see are lack luster at best for example a dietican (I actually think it's a nutritionist) telling one person they are in starvation mode and not eating enough...*sighs*
    3. Any form of help outside surgery is not that easy to get
    4. no after/before support for the depression some feel

and why do people have a bad attitude? because up here we pay for it...and then people kitten off and not do what they know they need to do (eat less) and gain all the weight back...my tax dollars at work.

Sounds harsh but I can say this...I wouldn't wish WLS on anyone...I have seen what it does to htem physically, mentally and emotionally and then when they gain the weight back...wow.

As for the eating out meals that's a cop out...I lost weight while travelling and having to eat out all the time (all 3 meals).

*waits for the rush of anger at me.*

I had WLS and I agree with much of this, but I also do think people have a bad attitude because as I said before, they hear the negative stories, and, they really don't have an understanding of the process. Many people also think WLS is the easy way out, and I know it hasn't been easy for me. I just understood from the beginning that no matter what method of weight loss I chose to use, I would have to work at it the rest of my life. It's worth it to me though, I would rather work to stay healthy than work to stay 400 lbs.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options

I hate to be a bother, but I have another question. I am another person with no experience with WLS, but I saw this original comment and a subsequent one that recommended getting back to a VLCD. Is there a medical reason for this... something specifically about having been a surgery patient that now requires a VLCD for weight loss, regardless of the time since surgery and a person's current weight/eating habits/calorie intake? It sounds like the OP has regained the way we all gain weight- eating too many calories- and it doesn't sound like she is observing any huge restrictions. That being the case, wouldn't a modest calorie deficit work the same for her as it would for anyone?
  • aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    Options
    try2again wrote: »

I hate to be a bother, but I have another question. I am another person with no experience with WLS, but I saw this original comment and a subsequent one that recommended getting back to a VLCD. Is there a medical reason for this... something specifically about having been a surgery patient that now requires a VLCD for weight loss, regardless of the time since surgery and a person's current weight/eating habits/calorie intake? It sounds like the OP has regained the way we all gain weight- eating too many calories- and it doesn't sound like she is observing any huge restrictions. That being the case, wouldn't a modest calorie deficit work the same for her as it would for anyone?

Not if she's still within a certain timeframe of her WLS, is my understanding.