Sugar substitute to use in salad dressing recipes, or salad dressing recommendations?

Options
KnitterNotAQuitter
KnitterNotAQuitter Posts: 67 Member
edited November 2017 in Food and Nutrition
Anyone have any advice for a good (preferably zero calorie, zero carbs/sugar) sugar substitute for like salad dressing recipes? I made a salad dressing that doubles as a good veggie dip and subbed Equal for the sugar ... and gah! Too sweet. I would rather eat the veggies plain -- which I guess isn't a bad thing, right? :D

I LOOOOOVE salad dressing, so I'm bummed about cutting the full-fat ones out of my diet (especially the Chick-fil-A Creamy Salsa and Salata's Chipotle Ranch), and I'm looking to replace them with the lowest-calorie, lowest-carb/sugar content possible. I'm trying to find some good replacements, so I'll be more likely to stick to it. Thank you in advance for suggestions!

Here's the recipe, if that helps (it's for a cucumber salad, but I make it as a dip for other veggies like carrots sometimes, so cucumber is listed just as a how much dressing to how much cucumber -- I think the original recipe was tripled):
1 medium cucumber, sliced
1 tsp. salt (but you can salt to taste)
3 Tbsp. light sour cream
1 tsp. apple cider vinegar
1 tsp. sugar
1/4 tsp. celery seed or dillweed (sometimes I use a 1/4 tsp. of both)

Replies

• toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    Liquid stevia would probably work nicely.
  • Kalex1975
    Kalex1975 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I use the Bolthouse Farms Cucumber Ranch dressing - only 35 calories for a 2 tablespoon serving. Here's their product listing.
  • iamthemotherofdogs
    iamthemotherofdogs Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Balsamic vinegar.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Did you try just using less Equal?
    There are some pretty good low cal salad dressings out there, but I don't pay attention to carbs or sugar so no idea if they would even fit what you are looking for.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    My favorite dressings have no added sugar:

balsamic vinegar + olive oil (you can use much less than in a traditional vinaigrette)

a good red wine vinegar + olive oil (you can use much less than in a traditional vinaigrette)

For super low cal: a spicy or otherwise tasty mustard + red wine vinegar plus garlic or herbs if desired (I'd use a tiny bit of olive oil too).

Just balsamic also works.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    subbed Equal for the sugar ... and gah! Too sweet. :D

use less?

I usually use sucralose (splenda).
  • ritzvin
    Options
    ooh..I miss cucumbers and cream (milk+mayo+pepper+sugar) now.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    The simplest answer is the right one...just use less sugar substitute. They're generally way sweeter than sugar for an equivalent volume so add a little at a time until it tastes like you want it to taste.
  • dwilliamca
    dwilliamca Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I use very small amounts of Stevia, which is plant based rather than chemical, but still very sweet. My family never even notices the substitution.
  • COGypsy
    COGypsy Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    You might even see if the dip even needs the sugar. I make what looks like a pretty similar dip and haven't ever added sugar. I didn't work from a recipe though, I just recreated a sauce I liked at a restaurant. I'd add everything except the vinegar and sugar. Taste before the vinegar, add that if needed and taste again to see if sugar is essential. If it is, I'd add just a pinch of sweetener at a time until it was balanced.
  • sarasmiles124
    sarasmiles124 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    The dressing i make - olive oil, either balsamic or red wine vinegar, garlic, salt and pepper, Dijon mustard and lemon or lime juice.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    Coconut palm sugar has a very low glycemuc index. It is a natural substitute for cane sugar.
    Stevia is another good substitute.
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    For a creamy/spicy ranch, mix salsa with greek yogurt. If it's too thick, mix in little water.
  • Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    Have you tried it without any sugar at all? Or cutting the sugar in half?
  • sssgilbe
    sssgilbe Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Kalex1975 wrote: »
    I use the Bolthouse Farms Cucumber Ranch dressing - only 35 calories for a 2 tablespoon serving. Here's their product listing.

Their Chunky Blue Cheese is amazing, also 35 calories. It was 2-for-1 at Kroger a few days ago.

Bolthouse is in the refrigerated dressing section of the produce aisle and the CBC has an expiration date about 2 months out.
  • Anon2018
    Anon2018 Posts: 139 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Anyone have any advice for a good (preferably zero calorie, zero carbs/sugar) sugar substitute for like salad dressing recipes? I made a salad dressing that doubles as a good veggie dip and subbed Equal for the sugar ... and gah! Too sweet. I would rather eat the veggies plain -- which I guess isn't a bad thing, right? :D

I LOOOOOVE salad dressing, so I'm bummed about cutting the full-fat ones out of my diet (especially the Chick-fil-A Creamy Salsa and Salata's Chipotle Ranch), and I'm looking to replace them with the lowest-calorie, lowest-carb/sugar content possible. I'm trying to find some good replacements, so I'll be more likely to stick to it. Thank you in advance for suggestions!

Here's the recipe, if that helps (it's for a cucumber salad, but I make it as a dip for other veggies like carrots sometimes, so cucumber is listed just as a how much dressing to how much cucumber -- I think the original recipe was tripled):
    1 medium cucumber, sliced
    1 tsp. salt (but you can salt to taste)
    3 Tbsp. light sour cream
    1 tsp. apple cider vinegar
    1 tsp. sugar
    1/4 tsp. celery seed or dillweed (sometimes I use a 1/4 tsp. of both)

This seems like it would be great if you just omitted the sugar. Or, I mean, a tsp of sugar is only 16 calories. I feel like you can probably find room for that in your diet?

If I really don't want to spend any calories on dressing I squeeze a lemon or lime on my veggies.
  • ritzvin
    Options
    You might need such a small amount of sugar that you might as well just add the real thing. (The super high calories in creamy dressingss are from all the fat).
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,019 Member
    Options
    I still use the full fat dressings, too. They're good in small amounts if you also use a bit of balsamic vinegar at the same time. I love bleu cheese and oil and vinegar. Balsamic vinegar is really sweet, I've never used sweetener in dressing. Sometimes a little orange juice or pureed fruit...
  • LearningToFly13
    LearningToFly13 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Do we need sugar in salad dressings? :|
  • fidangul
    fidangul Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    Pomegranate molasses is sweet and sour tasting. So you can replace both the sugar and vinegar with it. I always use it for its strong flavour.