Working out with a cold?

Options
Okay to go to gym and lift if I have a cold and sore throat? I have the energy to go. Just not sure if this will drain me and cause me to get sicker.

Replies

• iamthemotherofdogs
    iamthemotherofdogs Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Stay home and keep your germs to yourself. Said with love.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,052 Member
    Options
    NO!!! 1. You need to rest and recover. 2. Don't spread your germs to the rest of the gym!
  • Ironandwine69
    Ironandwine69 Posts: 2,432 Member
    Options
    Go and get everyone sick at the gym.
    Not.
  • Kalex1975
    Kalex1975 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I recently had the same question, quick answer - if the cold is just above your shoulders you should be OK but if below the shoulders (i.e. chest congestion) then you should skip it. See here for more (Mayo Clinic)...

https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/fitness/expert-answers/exercise/faq-20058494
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    it probably won't hurt you, but it might hurt somebody else. keep it at home and find something that you can do there.
  • ccruz985
    ccruz985 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    I asked myself the same thing today but since it's supposed to be my rest day anyway I thought, my body probably needs ACTUAL rest and not just me staying home and still working out to really have a good shot of recovering so I took the day.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I would stay home if I were sick and a gym worker outer. I continue to lift when it's just a cold but I have a home gym so I can germ it up without affecting others.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    You'll be fine.
  • tess5036
    tess5036 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    Please don't expose everyone at the gym to your germs, it's not fair, and some may suffer more than you if they catch it.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,987 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Kalex1975 wrote: »
    I recently had the same question, quick answer - if the cold is just above your shoulders you should be OK but if below the shoulders (i.e. chest congestion) then you should skip it. See here for more (Mayo Clinic)...

The Mayo Clinic article doesn't address how infectious you are, just whether it's medically "ok" for someone who's sick to workout or not.

As others have said, if you're sick, stay home and keep your germs to yourself. Doesn't matter if the germs are "above your shoulders" or not.
  • iamthemotherofdogs
    iamthemotherofdogs Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    When my Dad was on chemo, a common cold could have killed him. I'm a little bit of a germophobe now.