Should I stay vegetarian?

Options
I've been vegetarian (I eat fish about once a week so technically I'm pescetarian) for over a year now but I'm not sure if I should stay vegetarian. I'm starting to feel like I'm denying myself things that I would enjoy because of a label I gave myself.
I stopped eating meat and gelatine when I started university to reduce my environmental impact. But I suppose it was also a way of me embracing the new indepence that came with living away from home for the first time.
It was also a good excuse to get out of eating some of the awful meat dishes my mum makes when I came home during the holidays.
My vegetarian friend has taken a break from being vegetarian at the moment.
If I did stop being vegetarian I would still use Quorn instead of meat in my cooking as I prefer it (0% chance of gristle). I would probably only eat meat when I go to fast food outlets because that's when I feel the most like I'm missing out.
Am I weak for not sticking to it though?
I suppose this is more of a philosophical question than a nutrition question, but oh well,I wanted to hear some other opinions.

Replies

• VeggieBarbells
    VeggieBarbells Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    What do you think your denying yourself off?
  • sytchequeen
    sytchequeen Posts: 526 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    You can eat ethically and responsibly AND eat meat - if that was your motivation in the first place.
    However, can I suggest that the meat served in fast food restaurants is possibly not the best sourced.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    czmiles926 wrote: »
    ...I would still use Quorn instead of meat in my cooking as I prefer it (0% chance of gristle)...

I use ground turkey because I can't stand ground beef gristle. It's revolting. I rarely eat the meat of four-legged creatures anyway and I never buy it. It's not that delicious in my opinion. If I do eat it, it's because I'm a guest and it's being served. I do eat birds and fish, though. (Farming meat from larger animals makes more of an impact than raising meat from smaller ones, if that matters to you.)

If you want to try taking a break from being a vegetarian, go ahead. I think that if you want to be a vegetarian it should be because you want to, not because you think you have to. You might take this break and find out that meat isn't as amazing as you thought it would be and go back to being vegetarian. Who knows?

• Lean59man
    Lean59man Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    No.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    czmiles926 wrote: »
    I've been vegetarian (I eat fish about once a week so technically I'm pescetarian) for over a year now but I'm not sure if I should stay vegetarian. I'm starting to feel like I'm denying myself things that I would enjoy because of a label I gave myself.
    I stopped eating meat and gelatine when I started university to reduce my environmental impact. But I suppose it was also a way of me embracing the new indepence that came with living away from home for the first time.
    It was also a good excuse to get out of eating some of the awful meat dishes my mum makes when I came home during the holidays.
    My vegetarian friend has taken a break from being vegetarian at the moment.
    If I did stop being vegetarian I would still use Quorn instead of meat in my cooking as I prefer it (0% chance of gristle). I would probably only eat meat when I go to fast food outlets because that's when I feel the most like I'm missing out.
    Am I weak for not sticking to it though?
    I suppose this is more of a philosophical question than a nutrition question, but oh well,I wanted to hear some other opinions.

you're doing it because your friend is doing it... :huh:
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    The decision is yours, but if you do decide to eat meat, why would you choose the lowest quality fast food garbage to enjoy? If you are going to do so, eat some good, grass fed beef or higher quality meats.
  • Sunshine_And_Sand
    Sunshine_And_Sand Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    Who cares what any of us say? You have to make the decision based on what you want. You are ultimately the one who has to live with whatever decision you make.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    If you became vegetarian for the label, it doesn't make much sense to continue it.

If you became vegetarian because you were concerned about the specific impacts of behaviors you were choosing (environmental impacts), then I would think you'd want to continue (unless you are no longer concerned about those impacts or you have determined that your new behavior doesn't reduce your impact).

If you simply don't want to cook with items that might have gristle and avoid eating your mom's food, you can do those things whether you are vegetarian or not.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,843 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    I read a study (no, don't have the cite) - small study where vegetarians agreed to start eating meat, and meat-eaters agreed to give it up. Finding: There was a significant change in gut microbiome, but much of it happened quicker than expected, on the order of a week or so. No further stuff, they just looked at what changed & how fast, IIRC.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    It really depends on why you are vegetarian, as others have said.
  • laurenebargar
    laurenebargar Posts: 3,081 Member
    Options
    I eat vegetarian maybe 95% of the time, I dont label myself as anything though, if anyone has asked I just say I eat less meat now. We dont buy meat at my house, but we went to nice restaurant this past weekend and I did order a dish with meat in it.