Calories in Avocado

Options
Can someone help me figure out how many calories are in 55 grams of hass avocado? There are so many entries on MFP, even so-called "official" ones, that I don't know which to pick. Is it safest to go with the USDA calories that a google search gives?

Replies

• Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,209 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    I'm on my phone so it's not easy for me to get a link, but the one listed as 'Avocado, Raw (09037)' is an accurate entry. The brand is listed as USDA.

55g is coming up as 88 calories.
  • musicfan68
    musicfan68 Posts: 1,127 Member
    Options
    The USDA calories are correct.
  • Wynterbourne
    Options
    musicfan68 wrote: »

Most of them are, but all entries that aren't verified are still able to be edited by anyone. I've seen USDA entries that have been edited to incorrect values.
  • Wynterbourne
    Options

Most of them are, but all entries that aren't verified are still able to be edited by anyone. I've seen USDA entries that have been edited to incorrect values.

https://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/foods/show/2157

Yes, that is the USDA entry that verifies the values for the entry I said was an accurate one. I also responded with 88 calories, but thanks for linking the USDA site so the OP can double check other values in future.
  • emmylootwo
    emmylootwo Posts: 172 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Thank you all. Some of the entries were suggesting anywhere from 60 - 129 calories and they were all "verified" raw entries. I thought the USDA would be the best but even then 88 calories seemed so low to me! Now that I think about, maybe I was thinking 300~ for one of those big Florida avocados, not a hass.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,988 Member
    Options
    emmylootwo wrote: »
    Thank you all. Some of the entries were suggesting anywhere from 60 - 129 calories and they were all "verified" raw entries. I thought the USDA would be the best but even then 88 calories seemed so low to me! Now that I think about, maybe I was thinking 300~ for one of those big Florida avocados, not a hass.
    emmylootwo wrote: »

Well, 55 grams is less than half of the average Haas avocados that I buy. So, it's not like that's the calories in the whole avocado, unless you're some really small ones.
  • emmylootwo
    emmylootwo Posts: 172 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Well, 55 grams is less than half of the average Haas avocados that I buy. So, it's not like that's the calories in the whole avocado, unless you're some really small ones.

Oh I know. I had half an avocado and weighed it out at 55g. I was just expecting it to be in the 150cal range because I was thinking of the wrong type of avocado!

• musicfan68
    musicfan68 Posts: 1,127 Member
    Options

I quit going by MFP entries and only look at the USDA website which is what I meant in my post.
  • Wynterbourne
    Options

I quit going by MFP entries and only look at the USDA website which is what I meant in my post.

Ah. Gotcha.