Canned Beans - How to log?

Options
I got a food scale recently. I drained a can of black beans with a net weight of 15.5 oz. After draining it, It came out to 237 grams. In terms of logging, should I log an equivalent serving from the drained portion, or use the actual weight of the drained portion when logging. For instance, serving is 1/2 cup which comes to 125g. Would I use 125g of the drained portion or an equivalent amount for half a cup?

Replies

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,996 Member
    Options
    I just use the standard USDA-based entry for
    Beans, black, mature seeds, cooked, boiled, without salt

This is a drained weight for beans, and I don't see how black bean cooked and put in a can are going to differ that much, other than sodium, which I don't worry that much about personally, and in any case, I rinse my beans, which means the sodium level on the label wouldn't be right, anyway.

(For some reason the USDA database doesn't have a "with salt" version or a "canned" version for black beans, although it does for some other types of beans.)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    I like the USDA approach. But if I don't do it that way, I go by the portion of the can I use and how many of the servings that is. For example, I commonly use a can of black beans that says it is 3.5 servings per can. I use half the can. If I weighed it without the liquid, it would look like about one serving (since dumping the liquid reduces the weight), but it's not -- it's about 1.75 servings. So that's what I log.