Advice about cutting needed...

Options
Gaia85
Gaia85 Posts: 190 Member
edited November 2017 in Fitness and Exercise
I've read a lot of the threads here and the book, Strong (the updated version of New Rules of Lifting for Women) and want to start following Strong's program. However, I'm still so confused about some things.

I want to lose 10 more pounds but I can't imagine that I will lose all the fat I want gone with just 10 lbs to my goal weight.

I know I can't gain muscle on a calorie deficit but I can't lose fat on a calorie maintenance/surplus.
I've read about recomposition, cutting and bulking. As I want to lose 10 more pounds, I assume I should be cutting.

If my goal is to lose the last 10 lbs and look less 'skinny fat' when I get there before evaluating recomp/bulking goals, should I:

(1) continue to eat at a deficit (should I increase it from my current 1250 cal?)
(2) increase my protein intake
(3) weight lift using the Strong program 3x/week.

I know I can use TDEE to figure out calorie and proteins intake but what activity level do I select if I'm going to do weight lifting 3x/week but not doing a ton of cardio. The calories change drastically with a higher activity level but it doesn't specify cardio or strength. And if I'm only doing 3 days, I'm on the low end of 'moderate activity', which makes me nervous too.

I'm sorry for rambling! I guess I'm looking for advice.

Some stats:
I'm female, early 30s, 5'6 and 145 lbs (started at 202). My goal weight is 135 lbs.
In October, at 152 lbs, I was at 30% body fat according to a handheld BF indicator.
According to an online calculator using measurements, I'm currently 25% body fat. I highly doubt this this true. It's probably somewhere between 25 and 30%. I feel like I still have a ton of excess fat.

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Eat at a small deficit, to lose half a pound a week, start the lifting routine, enjoy!
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I know I can't gain muscle on a calorie deficit.
    That's not universal, especially on a small deficit and when new to proper lifting.

but I can't lose fat on a calorie maintenance
    Yes you can. Recomposition

As I want to lose 10 more pounds, I assume I should be cutting.
    Yes. Slowly.

(1) continue to eat at a deficit (should I increase it from my current 1250 cal?)
    Whatever results in a slow rate of loss and supports your exercise routine/recovery.

(2) increase my protein intake
    Depends how much you are eating now but being in a deficit and lifting are two good reasons to eat more protein than people who aren't doing either of those things.

(3) weight lift using the Strong program 3x/week.
    Yes. Don't wait, start now.

I know I can use TDEE to figure out calorie and proteins intake but what activity level do I select
    Remember that on myfitnesspal activity setting on here is NOTHING to do with exercise.
    Either use this tool as designed or choose and follow the instrictions on a TDEE site of your choice. Either work and it depends if you prefer a same every day allowance or a fluctuating eating goal.
    But calorie wise you can go by your recent rate of weight loss rather than start from scratch.

• Gaia85
    Gaia85 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! So I started Workout 1 today. My least favorite part was the warmup activities. I might just switch to a 10-min slow paced run and some key stretches.

I increased my calorie intake to 1375 but getting in a ton of protein is very difficult, even if I add a protein shake or two (which I didn't do today but will tomorrow).

I'm going to try to be consistent with the 3x/week...the holidays are trying with the food.