San Francisco recommendations?

Options
orangegato
orangegato Posts: 6,570 Member
I will be attending a conference in San Francisco later this week. Any recs on restaurants or places to see?

No wiseass answers like last time, ok? I was told to go eat at Subway and the Olive Garden on my last trip......And no raw bars either (ate 5 dozen raw oysters in college and can never eat oysters again).

thanks

Replies

• Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    We put the 'wise' in wiseass.

I like the Dragon Well restaurant on chestnut street in the marina.

• AliNouveau
    AliNouveau Posts: 36,287 Member
    Options
    The California academy of sciences is a really great science centre and Alcatraz is well worth a visit
  • sweetsloth
    sweetsloth Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Tony’s Pizza Napoleatana - World Pizza Champ
    Don Pistos - Mexican Food
    Top of the Mark (Mark Hopkins Hotel) - Great views and drinks
    Marin Headlands - Nice Views / Good Hiking

*If driving, don’t leave anything in the car, windows get busted out in broad daylight on the street when thieves see the rental barcode, even if nothing is visible.
  • Vikka_V
    Vikka_V Posts: 9,563 Member
    Options
    Last time I was in San Francisco I liked visiting the Winchester Mystery House, and driving the Pacific coast highway and stopping at random beaches and towns - I went as far as Monterey Bay, the aquarium is amazing...Mt. Diablo park was really cool too.

Fishermans wharf, Sausalito and Alcatraz were fun too. I hated the cable cars...felt like I may be thrown into traffic!
  • dc8066
    dc8066 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    Vikka_V wrote: »
    Last time I was in San Francisco I liked visiting the Winchester Mystery House, and driving the Pacific coast highway and stopping at random beaches and towns - I went as far as Monterey Bay, the aquarium is amazing...Mt. Diablo park was really cool too.

Fishermans wharf, Sausalito and Alcatraz were fun too. I hated the cable cars...felt like I may be thrown into traffic!

Winchester house might be a bit far depending on where you'll be staying
    Pacific Coast Highway is awesome
    Hopefully, Yoshi's still open, but you'd probably want to get tickets in advance
  • gamerbabe14
    gamerbabe14 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    Go down to the Marina for some food. I personally prefer the food scene in the Mission, but I guess it's less popular. Take a ferry ride to Sausalito, take your hat off if you're outside. Walk across the Golden Gate Bridge. Potrero Hill for a good workout. Union Square only to see the Christmas lights and then gtfo. Walk along Chrissy Field or walk along the Embarcadero between the ferry building and at&t park. For some great Italian, go to North Beach. Chinatown is awesome. The Presidio has great views of Marin and the GG. Golden Gate park is also nice. Grab a smoke at Haight and Ashbury.

The list goes on....if it was baseball season, a Giants game would be high in my list.
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    The Buena Vista for Irish Coffee.
  • SomebodyWakeUpHIcks
    SomebodyWakeUpHIcks Posts: 3,836 Member
    Options
    The Olive Garden under the GG Bridge.
  • JeepHair77
    JeepHair77 Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    cee134 wrote: »

This. 100x this. It's effing cold in San Francisco. WTF, California???

Also, San Fran's Chinatown is the best. I can't seem to find the place that we loved the most - it's a total hole-in-the-wall but the food was so good that it completely ruined me for Chinese food anywhere in my stupid city. But really, all the restaurants in Chinatown are good.

Take a sunset catamaran cruise from wharf near where the Alcatraz tours come and go. That was absolutely the highlight of my trip there, hands-down. Sailing under the Golden Gate bridge at sunset is amazing. (Bring a freaking coat. And hat and gloves and all that jazz. Or perhaps I'm just a giant weenie but for real - it's COLD.) And make sure you get there early enough to watch the sea lions. There are maybe 100 sea lions that hang out on that dock and they laze around and fight and knock each other off and then hop back up to fight some more and apparently, this nonsense goes on pretty much all the time and it's HIGHLY entertaining.
  • relynne
    relynne Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    cee134 wrote: »

YES.

And I'll second the rec for Top of the Mark. The Tonga Room can be fun too. If you've never been before, I'd do stuff like Fisherman's Wharf, the GG bridge, cable cars, Union Square, Chinatown. The Royal Exchange in the financial district has the best bacon I've ever had and a great happy hour. I would tell you to go to Lefty's and sit at the piano with a drink, but they closed a few months ago. :'(:'(:'(
  • SomebodyWakeUpHIcks
    SomebodyWakeUpHIcks Posts: 3,836 Member
    Options
    Go visit the Rice-A-Roni factory