Avocados

Options
Thoughts on avocados? Nutrition? Healthy fat? Recipes using avocado? Preventing browning?

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I think avocados are delicious and I personally find the combination of fat and fiber to be very satisfying.

I love to make guacamole, dice them as a topping for chili, put them in tacos/burritos, or even put some into smoothies (I freeze them first).

I usually have pretty good luck just popping the unused portion into a plastic bag, putting it in the fridge, and eating it the next day. If it's mashed, I will place plastic wrap right on top of the surface to minimize any contact with the air.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    I like them, they add fat with volume.

I mush it up with spices, mustard, and acv for salad dressing. I put it in sandwiches. I mush it to make dips. I put chunks on the top of omelettes.

Ive made choc mousse with it, but meh. I've out it in smoothies but I prefer to eat calories.

When cut, I store them in the fridge in an airtight container. I don't have an issue with them going brown, but I think you can add acid like with apples.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Don't really like them. :( I don't like the idea of "healthy fat", either, I like fatty meat and fish and nuts and milk and cheese and butter, and I hate to think about all the years I spent being afraid of good tasting food.
  • iamthemotherofdogs
    iamthemotherofdogs Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Yes.
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    I only like them in guacamole... I've tried eating them in different ways (on toast, sliced and salted, etc) and I can't get over the flavour/texture. Bur for some reason in a guacamole, it's tasty. Maybe the acid cuts the heaviness and other ingredients add enough flavour to mask the avocado.

Anyhoo! They're a good source of fat and quite good for you.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Love them, eat them whenever they are available and look good. I mostly like them plain (with a little salt) as a side dish, about half an avocado at a time. Guac is also delicious, of course, they are nice on a salad or mixed into a bean dish, and can be good in a smoothie. Great source of fat and fiber, as mentioned above, and I find them extremely satisfying. I really enjoy eating an avocado on the side with some cottage cheese, but that could just be me.

Browning isn't really an issue for me if I leave the pit in the unused half and eat the other half the next day, but adding some lime or lemon juice can be helpful (and lime tastes great with avocado, so just use the leftover lime to preserve it).
  • laurenebargar
    laurenebargar Posts: 3,081 Member
    Options
    I have a recipe tonight for smashed white beans and avocado sandwiches it looks pretty good, so that might be a new favorite lol
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I like them in salads, all chopped up and mixed in with everything else. I'm very "in for a penny, in for a pound" with avocados so I eat the whole thing at once and there's no browning.
  • JennyRATL
    JennyRATL Posts: 199 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    mmmmmmm avocado toast......

Yep, I like them as long as they are in the perfect window of ripeness otherwise they have a very yucky musty taste to me. May just be me, though, bc my husband never notices it.

Guacamole, topping for any Mexican food, and yes, avocado toast is a staple b'fast or lunch for me with sriracha and sometimes a fried egg.

If I have an unused half, I leave the seed in then wrap tightly with plastic wrap by twisting it closed under the fruit (skin side)
  • JennyRATL
    JennyRATL Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I have a recipe tonight for smashed white beans and avocado sandwiches it looks pretty good, so that might be a new favorite lol

That sounds yummy if you care to share!
  • jdlobb
    jdlobb Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    the best thing in the world?
  • laurenebargar
    Options
    JennyRATL wrote: »

http://pumpkinandpeanutbutter.com/2016/04/20/smashed-white-bean-basil-avocado-sandwich/

here you are! I bought arugula and red onion for it as well :)
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,217 Member
    Options
    I got on a big avocado kick about a year ago, thinking I'd like putting it on sandwiches, toast, etc. Turns out I don't really like avocado... I like guacamole. Got pretty good at making imitation-chipotle guac, pretty simple recipe with onions, lime juice, cilantro and salt (google for the right amounts) but haven't done so in a while.
  • pmm3437
    pmm3437 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Eat them on a semi regular basis. Love them with Hispanic dishes as a side or condiment ( quac ).

Very popular with the LCHF / Keto crowd, because it has a macro profile that fits those plans nicely. They are one of the lowest net carb fruits available.

Good source for B and K vitamins, as well as Potassium and fiber. Almost universally eaten uncooked.

The trick to stopping browning is to restrict exposure to air. Airtight/vacuum sealed containers work well, I'm told. Some ppl swear by citric acid on the surface.
  • crystalewhite
    crystalewhite Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    The vacuum sealer works great for me! I usually only want about a half of one, and my husband hates them. I seal the half with the pit for the next day.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I live in New Mexico, so avocados are pretty much a staple food around here...I love them. They are rich in monounsaturated fats as well as over 20 vitamins and minerals and are rich in fiber.

I use them to make guacamole, have them on sandwiches and salads, sliced as a side to go with New Mexican dishes...and sometimes I just put a little salt on them and scoop right out of the shell.
  • laurenebargar
    Options
    JennyRATL wrote: »

http://pumpkinandpeanutbutter.com/2016/04/20/smashed-white-bean-basil-avocado-sandwich/

here you are! I bought arugula and red onion for it as well :)

Update I tried this and it was great, a new lunch staple in my house for sure.
  • Aarjono
    Aarjono Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I love love love love them. My Saturday morning guilty pleasure is a fried egg baked on avocado toast.
  • ladyhusker39
    ladyhusker39 Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    I eat them 2-3 times a week for breakfast. Gets me through a 2 hour dance class/weight lifting session like nothing else. I mash up a whole one with a spice blend from a place called The Spice and Tea Exchange called Onion Obsession. Sprinkle on a little salt and add quite a bit of smoked paprika (also from TSTE).

Great breakfast when I don't feel like cooking eggs.
  • dlhatch67
    dlhatch67 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Love them in a salad with spinach, kale, tomatoes, cucumber, and feta cheese. There's something about the flavour and texture of a ripe avocado blended with the feta that tastes so good.
    I also cook with avocado oil because of the high heat tolerance.