Cheese

I'm wondering what cheese is best to eat, if I'm going to eat it? What is the "healthiest" without being "low fat" or anything overly processed?

Replies

• missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Eat whatever cheese you like. Weigh it, measure it, log it. Fit it into your calories. Same as any other food.
    If you want to avoid high calories, try shredding your cheese, and use a small amount.
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    Eat the kind you like best, just be sure to measure/weigh it and log it like everything else. :)
  • sarasmiles124
    sarasmiles124 Posts: 138 Member
    I include cheese in my salads for something creamy....goat cheese I make with spinach salads with a little bit of fruit and nuts, feta with Greek salads and bococcini with capers salad.
  • FAAB_too
    FAAB_too Posts: 67 Member
    I eat feta or blue cheese a lot or a really strong cheese I love Dubliner, bc it tastes great but doesn't take much before it's over powering the dish.
  • Quasita
    Quasita Posts: 1,530 Member
    If you're asking if there's a particular type of cheese that has a better nutrient profile than others, not really. Some may have better probiotic profiles and things like that, but from a fat/calorie/carb type perspective, there is very little variance between the types of cheese from a per ounce perspective... So it really does come down to your preferred type. Particularly since you don't want "low fat" because the only thing you can shoot for that would be better is to get cheese made with 2% milk rather than whole milk, which is not technically a "low fat" variation in the sense of diet foods but is a reduced fat option.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,371 Member
    Saturated phat

So?
  • ladyhusker39
    ladyhusker39 Posts: 1,406 Member
    These are pretty vague terms. In order to make this determination, you need to be a lot more specific about what you're trying to figure out.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,727 Member
    Swiss
    Sharp Cheddar
    Pepper Jack(preferably with Habaneros)
  • cs2thecox
    cs2thecox Posts: 533 Member
    Very mature cheddar
    Ripe brie or camembert
    Wensleydale with cranberries

Pretty much all the cheese really... but stronger cheese means you need less to get the cheesy taste.
    And grating helps it go further, but I hate using pre-grated cheese because it's coated in something kind of gross (to me) to keep the bits apart.

Oh, it has to be *proper* cheese though. Nothing light, pre-sliced, string or any of that nonsense ;)
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    I like crumbly cheeses because the strong flavor. I think that melting cheese helps enhance its flavor though. If you're making a sandwich, melt the cheese on the bread and then add everything else. To me, it's more satisfying.
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,383 Member
    I personally enjoy a nice aged cheddar or smoked gouda.
  • ecjim
    ecjim Posts: 1,001 Member
    Saturated phat

Yep, and that helps to make it good - Eastcoast Jim
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 18,030 Member
    I find a good, flavorful really bitey cheese gives you more bang for your buck, because you need less. Parmesan is a go-to, or a nice salty fetta.
  • beaglady
    beaglady Posts: 1,362 Member
    I do buy pre sliced cheese to use on sandwiches. Aldi sells packs of flavorful kinds like Havarti and Swiss that are handy to use, and about 80 calories each. I like the portion control aspect.
  • delaclos99
    delaclos99 Posts: 53 Member
    Cheddar, Roquefort, brie, camembert, Stilton, Danish blue, parmesan, pecorino sardo, pecorino romano, feta, Stinking Bishop, goats cheese, Emmenthal, smoked Bavarian cheeses, red Leicester, Wensleydale - that's a half decent cheese board. Pretty much any cheese is a good thing.