Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    tyrindor wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I was almost always going over the recommended calories of 1560 then binging cuz I figured I'd already blown it why not?

Seriously what kind of mess up logic is that? Instead of maintaining, now you gained weight that day. You aren't that big, maintaining on a few days is OK but gaining is not.

Changing a setting on a website isn't going to make you lose weight.

If changing the settings makes it easier for someone to consistently hit a deficit (and having a higher goal can help some people), then it will result in weight loss.

Just because it wouldn't work for you doesn't mean that it won't work for someone else.

You either eat a deficit or you don't, the website setting needs to be accurate to ensure that. If she sets the setting inaccurately just to make it easier, then it's possible MFP's recommendation isn't actually a deficit.

Active, as the sites says, "Spend a good part of the day doing some physical activity". Lightly Active reads "Spend a good part of the day on your feet ". So unless she exercises daily, plus has a job that is semi-physical labor (most people do not), then the "active" setting is not accurate for her.
    ginababin wrote: »
    Doesn't seem liked messed up logic at all to me. I know personally I aim to be able to eat as much as possible while still losing weight. Isn't that the American Dream?

(Sarcasm?) If not, good luck with that.

If she's exercising every day then active might be an appropriate setting...basically using the TDEE method. I have a desk job but exercise everyday...the calories for "active" were pretty accurate for me when I went to the TDEE method.

1,760 calories could easily be a deficit (though likely not a large one) for a female who is exercising most days. My wife is 42 and 5'3" on a good day and runs most days and lifts 2-3x per week...she loses weight pretty effortlessly on about 1800 calories.

I guess I don't consider exercising for 30 minutes to 1hr a day an "active" lifestyle. You burn so much more than that if you have an active job that keeps you always walking, moving things, etc throughout the entire day. The description reads "physical activity most of the day". If she's constantly walking around at her job, plus daily intense exercise, then the "active" setting is probably right for her.

Personally, I exercise daily and lift 2-3 times a week but still use "Sedentary" because the rest of the time I am sitting at a desk and it's description reads "spend most of the day sitting (e.g. bank teller, desk job)". My goal is 2 pounds/week, and I've been averaging about 2.5 pounds/week so I could probably switch it to "Lightly active".

Have you ever looked at a TDEE calculator? There descriptors will mention exercise.

Do you understand that you would eat exercise calories back with MFP so you would actually take in more than your base calories? If you're set to sedentary and then do exercise...guess what? You're not sedentary.

A lot of people who exercise regularly and consistently prefer the TDEE method...where you include exercise in your activity level. A lot of people start with a number and manually adjust it as per their actual results...these numbers aren't some kind of gospel. I only briefly used MFP's numbers and then adjusted according to my actual results and desired rate of loss while I was losing.

Personally, I think I'm doing ok...lost 40+ Lbs and will be 5 years maintenance this spring.