Paleo or Keto?

Options
Which is better for health wise? I do noticed with keto, my cravings are under control, and I don't get hungry as often. For those who are on paleo? What benefits do you see?

Replies

• willnorton
    willnorton Posts: 995 Member
    Options
    plant based
  • notreallychris
    notreallychris Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    How about just eating less of the foods you normally eat? And making sure you get adequate micro and macro nutrients?

I agree with this!
  • dinadyna21
    dinadyna21 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Whatever way you choose to eat, make sure you continue to have a calorie deficit to lose according to your goals. You could literally eat twinkies and lose weight, you'll feel like a pile of poo and be nutritionally deficient but you'll still lose weight.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Both can be healthy, both can be unhealthy. Both can help with keeping a calorie deficit (depending on the person), both can be unhelpful in keeping a calorie deficit. Many people are best off doing neither.

This sums it up nicely....
  • rchelen
    rchelen Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    How about just eating less of the foods you normally eat? And making sure you get adequate micro and macro nutrients?

What would be the adequate micro and macro nutrients? I did eat a lot of white rice before and with keto diet I've completely cut that off.. but I still would like to be able to eat carbs like sweet potatoes and vegetables without having to worry about the number of grams of carbs I should eat on a keto diet. With keto diet its recommended I eat 75% fat, 20% protein, and 5% carb. BUT that's hard to do because most of the vegetables I eat are carbs. I don't think it's bad that I'm eating vegetables. I guess I'm curious if the numbers even matter??
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    rchelen wrote: »

What would be the adequate micro and macro nutrients? I did eat a lot of white rice before and with keto diet I've completely cut that off.. but I still would like to be able to eat carbs like sweet potatoes and vegetables without having to worry about the number of grams of carbs I should eat on a keto diet. With keto diet its recommended I eat 75% fat, 20% protein, and 5% carb. BUT that's hard to do because most of the vegetables I eat are carbs. I don't think it's bad that I'm eating vegetables. I guess I'm curious if the numbers even matter??

Ketogenic diets just mean that you eat low enough carbs that you are in ketosis (relying mostly on fat for fuel) the vast majority of the time. For many people that might be under 50g of carbs a day. For those with insulin resistance, it might mean under 20g of carbs a day. For an active person, who times their carbs around exercise, it could be well over 100g of carbs a day.

Protein ranges in a ketogenic diet can go from (medically required low for epilepsy) of 10-15%, up to 30-40%. I would guess that most are at around 20-25% for maintenance. For losing, it should probably be a slightly higher percentage.

Fat fills in the rest, often between 40-80%. I would guess 60-75% is the most common.

The paleo diet is about food choices. What foods you eat. It can be high carb to ketogenic depending on how you set it up. It can be done in a ketogenic manner, or not.

If you find keto or paleo helps your health or weight loss, then stick with it. If it does nothing for you, then there is no need to stick to those diets.

Good luck.
  • melaniedscott
    melaniedscott Posts: 1,354 Member
    Options
    Neither. Keto would just make me sick (too much protien makes me feel wretched and undermines elimination).

Paleo is silly and generally random (my opinion, please, don't anyone take it personally)--I'm not willing to give up nutritious, delicious food just because someone thinks cavemen didn't eat it...which is ridiculous--people started farming because they wanted more of things that could be more available with cultivation. How did they know they wanted to cultivate it? Because they ate it.

Whole foods are better for you...fresh fruits, veggies, whole grains, fresh meat (if you eat meat), etc. Just stay within your calories.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    rchelen wrote: »

Just eat foods you enjoy, especially since they are whole foods based. You get most of the health benefits from weight loss and exercise. Personally, i focus on calories then protein then fiber. I eat higher carb 50 to 60%, because they provide more volume, i love them and they helped me lost 50 lbs and kept it off for 5 years
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Neither. Keto would just make me sick (too much protien makes me feel wretched and undermines elimination).

Paleo is silly and generally random (my opinion, please, don't anyone take it personally)--I'm not willing to give up nutritious, delicious food just because someone thinks cavemen didn't eat it...which is ridiculous--people started farming because they wanted more of things that could be more available with cultivation. How did they know they wanted to cultivate it? Because they ate it.

Whole foods are better for you...fresh fruits, veggies, whole grains, fresh meat (if you eat meat), etc. Just stay within your calories.

Keto is not high in protein, as a general rule unless someone chooses high protein. Mine is moderate and between 20-25%, or around 80-100g.