Night Shift Nurses

Options
Now that I am a nurse I have to work 12 hour shifts rotating days and nights--for the next two weeks I am on Night Shift 7p-7a. I don't want to gain a bunch of weight from working nights--which seems to happen from all the night shift people that I know.

So--how do I stop this? How do I sleep and find time to exercise and go to work and not eat really bad? ... I've had a rough last few weeks and I just want to get back on track but I'm worried about how Night Shift is going to change everything.

Thanks!

Replies

• S_H84
    S_H84 Posts: 75
    Options
    One of my friends is a night nurse. She exercises when she wakes up and before she has to go to work. Then she fixes all her food that she might eat through the night in small portions. She usually fixes salads and fruit to snack on in between. She does really good with it.....
  • tkrall
    tkrall Posts: 109
    Options
    I did the night shift for awhile. Its not really that hard to keep on track. I used to exercise when I woke up. It was usually around 3:00pm then packed healthy foods. There were also times when I would work out when I got home, right before I went to bed. Just make sure that you pack yourself healthy foods to eat. This way you aren't going to the vending machine or anything like that for a midnight snack.
  • timbotina
    timbotina Posts: 1,130 Member
    Options
    I've worked every shift imagainable over the past 20+ years as a nurse, and I believe we are one of the most unhealthy group of individuals there are....mostly because we work hard and it is difficult to find time to eat right at work....It takes a lot of preparation...but anyway...now that I am semi-retired (ha!!) I find time to exercise on my breaks at work...walking the stairs is an excellent choice...I wore my HRM the other day...doing 9 flights up and down took hardly no time at all (the path we take takes about 9 min. and burned 70+ calories) not bad........also, I know its hard to get out during the night shift, but try to get out and walk even for 10 min. during your day shifts....it will help refresh you in addition to add up your exercise.....anyhow, hope this helps!!
  • jenniferyeatts
    jenniferyeatts Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I have worked 12 hour nights for the past 16+ years. I count calories according to the day, which starts and ends at midnight for me. I pack lots of small, healthy snacks and try to grab something at least every 3 hours. Also, pack an extra snack. Sometimes, I get that hungover/throwup feeling about 5 AM, and the only think that helps is to eat. I sneak my workout in right when I get home, then go to bed.
    I can honestly say after working this shift forever, that you NEVER get used to it. It works for my family. That's why I do it.