Thanksgiving!!

Options
2»

Replies

• laur357
    laur357 Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    Thanksgiving is one day. Christmas (or whatever other holiday you may celebrate) pick one or two days. New Years Eve is one day. And maybe one or two others when you have a serious holiday festivity or party, so like 5 days total out of 35-40 that make up the holiday season. Relax on those days, try a little of everything, and remember more enjoyable food days are coming so you don't have to gorge.

You can get back on track the next day and still enjoy a turkey sandwich or leftover piece of pie in a deficit.
    The key is to not overeat for the entire season.
  • namelesshere
    namelesshere Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Leftovers. That is what freezers are for. Get some plastic containers and portion out those leftovers into meals you can eat in the future. If you are portioning for the family, label yours and family separately. That way you know which you have taken the time to weigh before you eat them.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    There's nothing inherently wrong with the foods we generally eat for Holidays (especially for Thanksgiving - turkey is one of the lowest calorie white meats around).

What really gets me are the 'extra' desserts and non-meal snacking (and holiday snacking tends to equate to eating a full meal). Try to limit those and it's not all that hard to stay within target.
  • midlomel1971
    midlomel1971 Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    I, personally, am going to eat about 2,000 calories of just stuffing. That's not counting the gravy, cornbread or turkey and mashed potatoes I'm going to add to the 2,000 calories. So, you could say I'm not worried about it.
  • sgtx81
    sgtx81 Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    I was thinking I was just going to treat it like any other day, but now I think by the time I'm done there won't be an ounce of turkey breast left in town. >:)
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    @lemurcat12 - recipe for the green bean dish??? Sounds like a potentially light side-dish option.

This year, I have decided to go nearly non-traditional with the menu. I'm planning on a potato-fennel soup, pumpkin cornbread, wild rice/roasted beet/orange/romaine salad, maple-glazed tofu. Except the pie will absolutely be one traditional item - pumpkin. I think I'm also going to try a vegan pecan pie this year.

Overall, I don't think it's too decadent a meal. In fact, may add some stuffing and cranberry sauce to round it out, because I looove stuffing and cranberry sauce. Will be enough food for a good meal with some, but not tons, of leftovers. In fact, if more family come than we have planned right now, I may have to increase the recipes or we likely won't have enough.

I will vaguely track, but not overly concerned about it.

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    veganbaum wrote: »
    @lemurcat12 - recipe for the green bean dish??? Sounds like a potentially light side-dish option.

This year, I have decided to go nearly non-traditional with the menu. I'm planning on a potato-fennel soup, pumpkin cornbread, wild rice/roasted beet/orange/romaine salad, maple-glazed tofu. Except the pie will absolutely be one traditional item - pumpkin. I think I'm also going to try a vegan pecan pie this year.

Overall, I don't think it's too decadent a meal. In fact, may add some stuffing and cranberry sauce to round it out, because I looove stuffing and cranberry sauce. Will be enough food for a good meal with some, but not tons, of leftovers. In fact, if more family come than we have planned right now, I may have to increase the recipes or we likely won't have enough.

I will vaguely track, but not overly concerned about it.

Wow, your menu sounds amazing.
  • EliseTK1
    EliseTK1 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I'm so hungry now.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    veganbaum wrote: »

It's pretty light, yeah. I don't really use a recipe, but wing it -- basically maybe some garlic and shallots in olive oil, sautee mushrooms, add the green beans, cook until they are bright (salt and pepper to taste) and then toss on some slivered almonds or pine nuts, cook very briefly, and when finished add some sprigs of fresh dill.
  • Thehardmakesitworthit
    Options
    Last year I got things started in the morning and headed out for a nice 10 mile walk.....I felt so pumped after that I did not over eat at all. Will employ the same strategy this year.