Is body recomp real

Options
Not talking about newb gains or morbidly obese people. For a guy who is at 18% body fat and is 2 years into lifting. To be at a slight deficit and build muscle is not possible is it? It takes the body days to shift cycles. So how could eating close to maintenance or just above on lift days actually make a difference except putting you at a slightly smaller deficit for the week.

I am 40 and gave precious few years left to gain mass. I know typically it is bad form to bulk unless below 12% BF. But I would rather gain while I can and cut weight later.

Replies

• Lean59man
    Lean59man Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    Train hard and build muscle.

What's so complicated?
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    Recomposition is indeed real.

I am 50. I started getting serious five years ago. At our age (and I will NEVER admit to being old....age is just a number) it is a little more challenging. I guess. Recovery is a little bit more challenging.

I would suggest that if you are 18% body fat then you might want to reconsider a bulk. I think that you would likely end up with a little more body fat then you like. However, if you are all for it (and no one can make that choice for you......) then I might suggest a 'lean bulk'.....which is where you eat a little higher than maintenance and lift heavy. So, instead of doing the "maintenance +500 Calories" (making a general assumption there) - which I think that some would call a "dirty bulk" - that you consider doing the "maintenance +250 Calories" - which I think that some would call a "lean bulk".

But, it all revolves around you. And how your body responds. Like I said, I am 50 and my body still responds very well to training. How do you feel that you look now? How happy are you now? Just know that with bulking - no matter what kind you do - there is going to be additional body fat added. That is due to the caloric surplus. Plain and simple.

The "lean bulk" - if we can agree to call what I described as that - will minimize (maybe "reduce" or maybe "add less body fat" would be more correct?) body fat gains vs. the "dirty bulk".

You have the general numbers.....for men, don't bulk until you are about 12% (or so) and for women, don't bulk if you are about 20% (or so). Ultimately, your call. Your body, your choice.

What training program are you following, if I might ask?

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    To be at a slight deficit and build muscle is not possible is it?
    Yes it is - I even did it in my 50's after decades of on/off training.

It takes the body days to shift cycles.
    What does that mean?
    Your body does a myriad things simultaneously and it doesn't have mode settings!
    :)

So how could eating close to maintenance or just above on lift days actually make a difference except putting you at a slightly smaller deficit for the week.
    Can't see if making a scrap of difference to your training or recovery as long as you aren't having an excessive deficit. Keep it simple, train hard and smart.

I am 40 and gave precious few years left to gain mass. I know typically it is bad form to bulk unless below 12% BF. But I would rather gain while I can and cut weight later.
    So why not stay the same weight? Cutting and bulking aren't the only options.

• shagerty777
    shagerty777 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Yep, it's real but it does take time and commitment. Do some research from the man who wrote the book on recomp here...https://bodyrecomposition.com/