Macro calculator

Can anyone suggest a site for an accurate macro calculator? I feel like i am not seeing the results i once was when i first got in to tracking macros, even though i am lifting heavier and more intensely now.

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    What results are you looking for? To lose weight, you have to eat fewer calories, to gain muscle you have to eat more and train better. And be patient. What do you mean by accurate macro calculator? Fat is 9 calories per gram, carbs and protein each have 4 calories per gram. You could set your nutrition goals to 0.8 grams of protein per pound of lean body weight, or something; nutrition can't be, and doesn't have to be, accurate.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Do you mean for setting your target macros? There isn't an "accurate" when it comes to macros. "Correct" macros usually fall within a range of acceptable totals. What sets the upper and lower limits of those ranges are things like goals and personal preferences. For example, if you have body comp goals, protein intake should be at the higher end of that range. If you love your chocolate, then fat should probably be a bit higher. etc etc.

I have my numbers/beliefs, but I'm sure someone will come in and yell at me for being wrong, so I won't bother. They can just post the right numbers and we can skip the headaches.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,294 Member
    not sure what you mean by macro calculator. 1 gram of carbs = 4 cals, 1 gram of fat = 9 calories, 1 gram of protein = 4 cals?

Do you mean ideal macro breakdown for your goals? If so, that would depend on if you are bulking or cutting, your preference, performance, satiety, etc. there is no one size fits all, there are min fat and protein you should get the rest comes down to the factors I mentioned above.
  • hcarb001
    hcarb001 Posts: 28 Member
    There’s macro calculators online (IIFYM, scoobys, etc) to take your current stats and desired stats into account and tell you how many calories you should eat daily in order to lose, maintain, or gain after taking TDEE into account
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,314 Member
    hcarb001 wrote: »
    There’s macro calculators online (IIFYM, scoobys, etc) to take your current stats and desired stats into account and tell you how many calories you should eat daily in order to lose, maintain, or gain after taking TDEE into account

You mean like this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/change_goals_guided

Edit individual macros here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/my_goals

I think everything else is already answered in the above posts.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,314 Member
    This calculator is great for setting up your macros: https://keto-calculator.ankerl.com/

She didn't' ask for Keto.
  • modzikaone
    modzikaone Posts: 11 Member
    You need to figure it out your total calories intake per day based on your age and current weight. And then there you go...set up your goals....cutting fat or performance. If you want to lose weight you should cut about 200-300 calories from your total calories intake. The rest of it....it's your split. How much carbs, protein and fat?!!! Work hard and listen to your body....
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    All the calculators use very similar equations to come up with the numbers they spit out. They are all also just starting points. You have to alter your calories and macros based on your actual results. You say that you are not getting the results you want. What do you mean by this? What is your goal and what are your current results (speed of weight loss/gain, rate of strength gain, etc)? If you could expand on that and also list your height, weight, current workout plan, plus current calories and macros, the people here could help guide you on what changes to macros/calories are indicated.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member

All of those are just estimates. None are going to match an individual exactly, unless it's by luck. They are meant as a starting point. You should be able to adjust up/down to achieve your desired results. Also note that depending on what kind of results you are intending to get, progress can slow over time, so you will need to have patience.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member

So just like MFP does - except MFP doesn't assume the workouts are done until you actually do them and log them, and it has levels for daily life.

The other sites are levels for workouts, but nothing about daily life. And you better do the workouts or there may not be a deficit.

MFP macros defaults sadly aren't based on better research for when in a deficit, but are usually fine for average person at maintenance.

So is there an issue with Scooby's since you already knew about it and yet asked for "accurate"?
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,294 Member

This site does that too
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Can anyone suggest a site for an accurate macro calculator? I feel like i am not seeing the results i once was when i first got in to tracking macros, even though i am lifting heavier and more intensely now.

What results are you looking for and not seeing?
  • juliafness
    juliafness Posts: 3 Member
    I recommend checking out a ketogenic diet. Since I changed my macros to 5% carbs 35% protein and 60% fat, my weight has dropped significantly, fast. I also heavy lift and was getting frustrated with not seeing the results I wanted. Oh - and calories aren't as big as an influence, it's the carb count. It's not easy, but I'm happy with the results.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    edited November 2017
    juliafness wrote: »
    I recommend checking out a ketogenic diet. Since I changed my macros to 5% carbs 35% protein and 60% fat, my weight has dropped significantly, fast. I also heavy lift and was getting frustrated with not seeing the results I wanted. Oh - and calories aren't as big as an influence, it's the carb count. It's not easy, but I'm happy with the results.

until the OP comes back and says exactly what her issue is with her current macros - recommending a diet is kind of bad advice...

and yes in KETO calories count as much as carbs do - you can get fat on Keto, just as easy as you can get skinny on high carb - its all about an energy balance
  • hcarb001
    hcarb001 Posts: 28 Member
    vismal wrote: »
    All the calculators use very similar equations to come up with the numbers they spit out. They are all also just starting points. You have to alter your calories and macros based on your actual results. You say that you are not getting the results you want. What do you mean by this? What is your goal and what are your current results (speed of weight loss/gain, rate of strength gain, etc)? If you could expand on that and also list your height, weight, current workout plan, plus current calories and macros, the people here could help guide you on what changes to macros/calories are indicated.
    I was seeing a lot of fat loss and increase in definition for the first 3 months but then it’s like i hit a plateau. I currently weigh 138 and would like to cut down to 128-130. I am 22y/o and 5’4. I lift heavy 4 days a week, with a lot of supersets, drop sets, and pushing to my limits on weight. I do cardio/abs 2 times a week. I am currently eating 1600 calories a day, 180 c, 140 p, 36f.

• vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    vismal wrote: »
    I was seeing a lot of fat loss and increase in definition for the first 3 months but then it’s like i hit a plateau. I currently weigh 138 and would like to cut down to 128-130. I am 22y/o and 5’4. I lift heavy 4 days a week, with a lot of supersets, drop sets, and pushing to my limits on weight. I do cardio/abs 2 times a week. I am currently eating 1600 calories a day, 180 c, 140 p, 36f.

How long has it been since your weight stopped going down? Weight loss is nonlinear and becomes increasingly so the longer you are in a calorie deficit. It might be that you are just temporarily stalling but are actually still losing fat and it's being masked by water retention. If this stall has been for more than a month then you are most likely not in a calorie deficit. You either are eating more than you think (very likely, happens to almost everyone) or your calorie goal is too high. I would make certain your tracking is on point before I'd reduce calories though. Do you weigh all your food with a scale?