New to MFP and working out, few questions

So i decided it was time to start making some changes and start a healthier lifestyle.

Im a 23 year old male 5ft 11 and weighed 252 but lost 8lbs in the past 2 weeks after switching up what i have been eating and started to work out.

My goal was to loose weight and go down to 200-215, but i mainly want to build muscle and lose body fat , not crazy shredded and get a 6 pack just tired of having a big gut.

What would be an ideal weight considering my age height and weight if possible to answer and should i loose weight then start building muscle or start building muscle now and just let body fat works it way down.

Also if any one wants to add me and help me out on this journey would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• brendanwhite84
    brendanwhite84 Posts: 219 Member
    edited November 2017
    Can't speak on the health side of the ideal body weight question, but BMIs in the 24-point range with relatively low body fat are on the high end of achievable for natural (read: not on gear) bodybuilding. I'm sure some people surpass that, but not too many.

Allegedly women find a muscular 24 or so the most appealing body type, statistically.

For you that'd be about 174 lbs at your height. Coincidentally my goal weight for now is 173 lbs at 6'2", a BMI of 22.2.
  • WhiteFb6_Si
    WhiteFb6_Si Posts: 9 Member
    edited November 2017
    So really i should lose more weight for my height?
    For you that'd be about 174 lbs at your height. Coincidentally my goal weight for now is 173 lbs at 6'2", a BMI of 22.2.

• pogiguy05
    pogiguy05 Posts: 1,583 Member
    q9fhgoeb0ac3.jpg

Now I just binged it and picked one. As you can see it has small/medium/and large frames. I have no idea other then I am 51yo 5'10" and I am shooting for 180lbs.
  • pogiguy05
    pogiguy05 Posts: 1,583 Member
    Also I would do as I am doing. Logging my meals and going to the gym regularly and doing strength training. Muscle will burn more calories and that is why I am doing it that way. I dont plan on getting ripped, but you never know as I go I might like what I see and keep improving on it. Never would hurt I say.
  • marygraci999
    marygraci999 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Thanks for that chart. . Its very helpful..