Keto dieting, high protein diets, etc?

Options
Hi all,

I am constantly getting bored and constantly researching the latest fads. I’ve got about 10 more lbs to lose, and of course I’m finding these lbs the hardest. Bleh! So i was wondering what success people had with the Keto diet? Is it better to just up your protein intake, or actually follow the fat and protein guidelines? As i exercise more now, i get even hungrier. I freaking love bread. LOVE IT. But i would love to get this weight off even more, so if i have to part with it, i will.
Also, what about macros? I feel like I’m constantly under or over with my macros. Never on the button. Is this normal?

Feel free to add me. I like people almost as much as i like bread. ;)

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    gmc685 wrote: »
    Hi all,

I am constantly getting bored and constantly researching the latest fads. I’ve got about 10 more lbs to lose, and of course I’m finding these lbs the hardest. Bleh! So i was wondering what success people had with the Keto diet? Is it better to just up your protein intake, or actually follow the fat and protein guidelines? As i exercise more now, i get even hungrier. I freaking love bread. LOVE IT. But i would love to get this weight off even more, so if i have to part with it, i will.
    Also, what about macros? I feel like I’m constantly under or over with my macros. Never on the button. Is this normal?

Feel free to add me. I like people almost as much as i like bread. ;)

In a larger sense, macros don't really matter. As long as you are addressing calories, you are fine. But if you are a huge proponent of carbs and can't give them up, then a keto diet is not going to be work for you.

The reason the lbs are the hardest is because you have very little room for error and you can't be really aggressive. The thing I concentrate on is my calories, protein and fiber intake.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Barry7879 wrote: »
    ...The main advantage with keto is that the protein and fat are very satiating so you don't get strong hunger and cravings anymore. The other advantage is that, when you stop eating carbs and spiking your blood sugar and insulin, you are able to more easily mobilise stored fat for energy (lipolysis) - this is the state referred to as ketosis - burning your own body fat for fuel in the form of Ketones which are manufactured in the liver from the triglycerides in your fat cells...

There is no metabolic advantage to a ketogenic diet. That has been scientifically proven despite what crackpots like Fung try to say. Weight loss comes down to calories in < calories out, regardless of what your chosen macro combination is.

To cut through all the woo and take an actual scientific look at insulin and what it does, here's a good start: https://weightology.net/insulin-an-undeserved-bad-reputation/
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    1 tidbit of information that I think you may have overlooked: The last pounds are not really harder, but slower. This means that what you need, is not a new diet, but more patience. There's also this: you decide which pounds are the last. The lower you go, the more effort, attention, sacrifice, you will have to pay. You will even have to consistently eat a bit less to maintain a slightly lower weight, than you can eat to maintain your current weight. So this is up to you - how much are you willing to "pay" to get to and have a lower weight? You are probably already at a healthy weight, you won't be more healthy weighing 10 pounds less. And how can you be sure you'll be happy when you reach your goal, if you're not happy with your current weight? Will you still want to lose 5 more pounds?

No diet composition will make you lose weight faster, only calorie deficit and time can make you lose weight - the greater deficit and the longer time, the faster and greater weight loss. But the less you eat, beyond what's healthy, the more hungry you will be. And if you just stop eating foods you love, you will feel deprived. When you feel deprived, that's when you "sabotage yourself".