Can you gain weight without ingesting anything or is my scale busted? lol

Options
13»

Replies

• Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Aaron has pretty much cleared things up.

I thought perhaps the sip of water might have tipped the scale from say, 140.49 lbs to 140.5 lbs which might have rounded up as going from 140 lbs to 141 lbs.

But I could be wrong because I'm Australian and use kgs and don't know how Imperial scales display.
  • Verity1111
    Verity1111 Posts: 3,309 Member
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    Aaron has pretty much cleared things up.

I thought perhaps the sip of water might have tipped the scale from say, 140.49 lbs to 140.5 lbs which might have rounded up as going from 140 lbs to 141 lbs.

But I could be wrong because I'm Australian and use kgs and don't know how Imperial scales display.

It would but mine goes by the .2 lb lol and it went up a whole lb or close (like 14oz) instead of like .2 or .4 so it was weird Lol. But yes Aaron did clear up what I was trying to ask. Things were steering a bit off topic lol
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Verity1111 wrote: »
    So Ive been wondering about my scale for a while but I tested out of curiosity today. Took my weight twice before I left twice when I came back from somewhere. All I ingested was a sip from a water fountain and one chip between leaving and coming home. Same clothes, same spot on the floor where I weighed - I gained 1 lb. lol. Also, any scale recommendations? I was considering just rebuying the one I have but maybe not. I have a Bowflex Caloric and BMI Scale. Someone said water retention and not my scale...that's why I asked in the title. But retention within a few hrs without drinking much of anything? o_o

Technically, it would be possible to gain weight without eating, but practically it's impossible.
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    pogiguy05 wrote: »
    I dont take the small amounts that seriously. I can fluctuate 5lbs in a day if I dont drink enough fluids. If you are like me and have the habit of stepping on the scale every time you pass it, you might want to slow down. I keep telling myself I will stop it, but so far NOPE. I just dont take it seriously.

Pick a time of day to weigh and stick with that. I swear I am going to not weigh myself the whole month of December.

The point was to see if it's working right due to weird readings though. You can gain weight without eating or drinking anything???
    SCoil123 wrote: »
    My weight normally fluctuates 1-4lb depending on the time of day and it is completely normal for me regardless of what I’ve eaten or done on that specific day

Literally without drinking even water?? It seems impossible o_o I cant recheck now to see how its working tho I drank a giant diet coke but still Lol at the time I had nothing but 1-2oz water which obviously weighs 1-2oz and then 1 chip (like 5grams lol) so I dont get how I could go up 16ounces.

Yes. I can fluctuate up or down during the day without eating or drinking anything. Weight fluctuates during the day and that is normal.
  • Verity1111
    Options
    pogiguy05 wrote: »
    I dont take the small amounts that seriously. I can fluctuate 5lbs in a day if I dont drink enough fluids. If you are like me and have the habit of stepping on the scale every time you pass it, you might want to slow down. I keep telling myself I will stop it, but so far NOPE. I just dont take it seriously.

Pick a time of day to weigh and stick with that. I swear I am going to not weigh myself the whole month of December.

The point was to see if it's working right due to weird readings though. You can gain weight without eating or drinking anything???
    My weight normally fluctuates 1-4lb depending on the time of day and it is completely normal for me regardless of what I’ve eaten or done on that specific day

Literally without drinking even water?? It seems impossible o_o I cant recheck now to see how its working tho I drank a giant diet coke but still Lol at the time I had nothing but 1-2oz water which obviously weighs 1-2oz and then 1 chip (like 5grams lol) so I dont get how I could go up 16ounces.

Yes. I can fluctuate up or down during the day without eating or drinking anything. Weight fluctuates during the day and that is normal.

So odd. Thanks for sharing.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    A word of warning. Dumbbells don’t really weigh what they say. There is some milling involved. I had an instructor who calibrated his medical scale with weights and he was WAAAY off. I convinced him to double check.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Weight lost or gained is tracked over the months, not hours.
  • Verity1111
    edited November 2017
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »

Truth. But I was trying to see if my scale was messed up. or if my body is lol I keep gaining large amounts then losing it overnight which sure water retention but then I gain when I dont get time to eat yet etc its odd so I tried it on a day when I was very busy picking up my kids and had nothing at all yet and my weight went up. Just found it odd.
  • Jigglypuff00
    Jigglypuff00 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure how our bodies work, but when I've had gains like that, I was told it's just water weight. And yes, apparently we can gain water weight even if we don't eat or drink anything. Did you pee between the time you first weighed and the next time? Our cells supposedly start filling with water to hold their shape I guess? When nothing is consumed to take place of the water, then they finally collapse and there's a whoosh. So all that is not very technical, but it's how it was explained to me.

So yeah, try testing your scale with you holding weights and see if the difference is correct. If it is, then it's just one of those mysterious bodily functions only physicists can understand. Or it could be your battery.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »

Truth. But I was trying to see if my scale was messed up. or if my body is lol I keep gaining large amounts then losing it overnight which sure water retention but then I gain when I dont get time to eat yet etc its odd so I tried it on a day when I was very busy picking up my kids and had nothing at all yet and my weight went up. Just found it odd.

Have you tried swapping the batteries yet? I suspect that's your issue.

• sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    Home scales are not terribly accurate. Electronic balances can be impacted by temperature, humidity and static charge, but I'm not sure the inaccuracies on a home scale would be in the range of pounds.

This is why I weigh myself daily and not hourly.