BURNING 3000 CALORIES A DAY??

Options
elizabethbettycooper
elizabethbettycooper Posts: 38 Member
edited November 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
So this girl I follow on instagram lost a significant amount of weight in 3 months and she did thiis by eating 3 decent healthy meals a
day (she also meal preps) but works out to burn at least 3000 (yes, 3k) calories a day? Is that a bad idea?? She burns about 1K + per sessions (she works out twice a day) plus she walks home from the gym which is about an hour's journey. Also she doesn't verbally claim to lose 3k calories, but it is what she shows her fitbit says after her workouts and no her meals aren't worth 4k calories, they're about 1.2k at the most.

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Assuming your body can handle it (that is, you're sufficiently trained, properly nourished, and resting appropriately), there's nothing wrong with having a TDEE of 3,000 calories a day. I don't spend that much time exercising, I'm relatively small, and my TDEE is usually 2,000-2,200 calories a day.

For many people, 3,000 a day would represent a big increase in calorie burn so I wouldn't recommend jumping to it overnight.

The question is how sustainable it would be. If you lose weight this way, you either need to reduce calories significantly when you reach goal or keep up that level of activity. For a good portion of people, jobs, family obligations, and other hobbies might make a long term TDEE of 3,000 calories a day impractical.

Edit: Oops, I read this as 3,000 total per day, not per workout. Sorry, I don't believe that most people could burn 3,000 calories per workout.

• RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Does the 3000 include her BMR?
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    She burns 3000 in exercise calories, or that's her TDEE?

My TDEE is almost 3000 and I don't do anything crazy for exercise.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Assuming your body can handle it (that is, you're sufficiently trained, properly nourished, and resting appropriately), there's nothing wrong with having a TDEE of 3,000 calories a day. I don't spend that much time exercising, I'm relatively small, and my TDEE is usually 2,000-2,200 calories a day.

For many people, 3,000 a day would represent a big increase in calorie burn so I wouldn't recommend jumping to it overnight.

The question is how sustainable it would be. If you lose weight this way, you either need to reduce calories significantly when you reach goal or keep up that level of activity. For a good portion of people, jobs, family obligations, and other hobbies might make a long term TDEE of 3,000 calories a day impractical.

Edit: Oops, I read this as 3,000 total per day, not per workout. Sorry, I don't believe that most people could burn 3,000 calories per workout.

She didn't say per workout she said per day so I still assume she means TDEE.
  • PWRLFTR1
    PWRLFTR1 Posts: 324 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Is it possible? Maybe
    Is it a bad idea? *kitten* Yeah
    Is it maintainable? *kitten* No
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    dym1 wrote: »
    Is it possible? Maybe

Burning 3,000 per day (if that is what OP is talking about) is possible, not a bad idea, and maintainable for some people.
  • Aaron_K123
    Options
    @zoekravitz can you please clarify if you mean she has a 3000 calorie TDEE (it includes her BMR) or if you mean she burns 3000 calories from exercise alone and her TDEE is more like 4500. It's a bit vague right now.
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    I don't see any edit.....
  • elizabethbettycooper
    Options
    @not_a_runner Just added it
  • rsergeant79
    rsergeant79 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I can get a total of 3k per day if I have an active day with a decent workout
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    So 1500 per workout? Is she in the gym 8 hours a day or something?! Even at dance school we didn't have dance all day every day, there were other classes and obviously with dance some are less strenuous than others. It's highly unlikely I got 3000 calories on any day from the dance alone.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    It must be 3000 including her BMR.... else she'd have to be working out all day.
    I once burned 2700 in one day - was in a Fitbit competition and did 42k steps...but that included my BMR.
    It took me 6 hours to do all those steps. (my burn isn't great in general because I'm petite in maintenance and also am in my 40s)
  • Aaron_K123
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Well burning 3000 calories per day from excercise alone is extreme but assuming she isn't just wrong about that or bullsh*tting it would still be okay provided her 3 meals a day add up to around 4000 calories. If, however, she is eating like 1500 calories a day then no that isn't healthy or sustainable. Without knowing how much she is eating hard to say.

Athletes have burn numbers like that daily, they just also eat enough to sustain it. Like athletes though her job must be working out if she is actually pulling those numbers.
  • WhereIsPJSoles
    WhereIsPJSoles Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    dym1 wrote: »
    Is it possible? Maybe

Burning 3,000 per day (if that is what OP is talking about) is possible, not a bad idea, and maintainable for some people.

I'd say it's also in how you know this person to follow them. Are they an "instagram model" or fitness person? If so, those people probably do spend a significant portion of their day in the gym. It's their job.

If it's just a person off the street who you know in some kinda way and they work a normal job and this is just their after work workouts that are burning so much it COULD be an inaccurate reading or something like that.