No ALcohol

Replies

• marygraci999
    marygraci999 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Great thread - any concrete suggestions re how to give up or moderate drinking? I find it is a part of my social personality now and when I say I am not drinking, I feel like I am letting down the people I am out with! It’s ridiculous! I suspect I have a binge drinking problem - lots of trouble stopping or moderating intake when out. I know I need to give up these empty calories to get healthier.

OMG That was so me!!! Caused havoic in my marriage.. I would say Im only having a few and end up loaded.. Just got to give it up cold turkey... We can not drink in moderation... Hit me up if you need help..
  • AudreyJDuke
    AudreyJDuke Posts: 1,092 Member
    Not willing to waste calories on wine!!!!
  • KeithWhiteJr
    KeithWhiteJr Posts: 233 Member
    edited November 2017
    Great thread - any concrete suggestions re how to give up or moderate drinking? I find it is a part of my social personality now and when I say I am not drinking, I feel like I am letting down the people I am out with! It’s ridiculous! I suspect I have a binge drinking problem - lots of trouble stopping or moderating intake when out. I know I need to give up these empty calories to get healthier.

If you cant control yourself when you're around alcohol, maybe you have to stop being around it until you can...
  • marygraci999

If you cant control yourself when you're around alcohol, maybe you have to stop being around it until you can...

So true.. I am fine around Alcohol.. I just drink water now...
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,899 Member
    When I am in "I don't give a sh** mode" I can polish off 3/4 bottle of wine and that's when the munchie fest begins!
    Now......I measure out 5 oz once a week and count it. Alcohol is not that serious to me. I am in better mental and physical shape when I don't!
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,899 Member

How old are you? It will take every shred of self discipline to give up one thing to attain another. Yes....alcohol related people like to hang with other alcohol related people...it justifies their behavior.
    You have hard choices to make and there is no magic formula but the ball is in your court!
    What do YOU want, not "others" cause you can't have it all! So how serious are you?
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    It seems like there are two interwoven threads. People who are moderating or thinking about moderating drinking for calories and people like me who really should not drink at all.
  • marygraci999
    It seems like there are two interwoven threads. People who are moderating or thinking about moderating drinking for calories and people like me who really should not drink at all.

I am not drinking neither..
  • marygraci999
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Anyone else not drinking...
    Pretty much since I was 28. Saw no reason for alcohol since for me it made me somewhat aggressive. If I want to have a good time, I just have a good time.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Thats awesome!!! I do the same now without a hangover in the AM..
  • jaelia
    jaelia Posts: 10 Member
    I'm not drinking much until my wedding in march where I will have champagne to celebrate. I've given in a few times but now I'm saving up for a car I can't justify the expense, so I've cut right down and I've felt a lot better. Especially now my hangovers are getting worse as I get older.
  • klowieislyfe1
    klowieislyfe1 Posts: 46 Member
    Trying. It's up and down. I originally gained weight almost solely from drinking, but the last handful of times I went overboard, I ended up losing some weight. The unhealthy kind of starvation weight because I couldn't eat anything for a few days after a drinking binge.
  • marygraci999
    Trying. It's up and down. I originally gained weight almost solely from drinking, but the last handful of times I went overboard, I ended up losing some weight. The unhealthy kind of starvation weight because I couldn't eat anything for a few days after a drinking binge.

Gets easier as time goes on.. it's been already 3 months since I drank and guess what.. I don't really miss it to much. Mind you I haven't been out with my drinking friends yet..
  • P90X3M
    P90X3M Posts: 5 Member
    Good thread and some great inspirations here! I am 3 weeks, 2 days, 5 hours, 20 min, and 5 seconds no alcohol
  • marygraci999
    P90X3M wrote: »
    Good thread and some great inspirations here! I am 3 weeks, 2 days, 5 hours, 20 min, and 5 seconds no alcohol

Awesome!! Im 3 months as well
  • Gordorino
    Gordorino Posts: 11 Member
    Not a drop for almost 30 years. Never been to any AA meetings. I have never been an alcoholic
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member

Gets easier as time goes on.. it's been already 3 months since I drank and guess what.. I don't really miss it to much. Mind you I haven't been out with my drinking friends yet..

I am just over 5 months and forgot to celebrate the 5 month mark because it has just become normal that I don't drink. That doesn't mean I can let my guard down; I have made it this far before, but those times I had in the back of my mind that I would start again once I was sure I could keep it in check. This time I am accepting that I can't and that I have to be done with it. I am getting too close to retirement; when a problem drinkers retire while still drinking or develop drinking problems they are far more likely to have short unhealthy retirements than the average retiree. The rate of alcoholism among seniors has more than doubled in recent years.
  • marygraci999
    Gordorino wrote: »
    Not a drop for almost 30 years. Never been to any AA meetings. I have never been an alcoholic

Me neither.. Just cant control my drinking in social settings.. only time I drink.. which is not often..
  • EEAngelina
    EEAngelina Posts: 1,208 Member
    Yes I learned that...,.,
  • x_titan_x
    x_titan_x Posts: 61 Member
    im not drinking anymore...nearly 3 weeks
  • marygraci999
    x_titan_x wrote: »
    im not drinking anymore...nearly 3 weeks

Awesome!!!