Options
2»

Replies

• fernie8787
    fernie8787 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    JaydedMiss wrote: »
    fernie8787 wrote: »
    I usually eat at 11 on weekends and tend to be full until dinner which would be 6. I do eat a big portion of food maybe thats why I would be full. I just going to have to change my eating hours to see if that works. Also i sometimes don’t eat dinner. I only eat granola bars but I know thats a lot of sugar. I just gotta change some stuff to satisfied myself for the day. My first class is 9:25 and have them back to back until 12.

you eat a bunch of granola bars and no dinner and wonder why you struggle with calories?

I usually don't eat dinner because i don't have much calories left. Maybe i guess i should go over just a little. I need food that is on the go because I'm always in a rush.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    I usually eat at 11 on weekends and tend to be full until dinner which would be 6. I do eat a big portion of food maybe thats why I would be full. I just going to have to change my eating hours to see if that works. Also i sometimes don’t eat dinner. I only eat granola bars but I know thats a lot of sugar. I just gotta change some stuff to satisfied myself for the day. My first class is 9:25 and have them back to back until 12.

you eat a bunch of granola bars and no dinner and wonder why you struggle with calories?

I usually don't eat dinner because i don't have much calories left. Maybe i guess i should go over just a little. I need food that is on the go because I'm always in a rush.

Pre-planning is required. You need to be more pro-active.

Breakfast, lunch and snacks are all packed and taken with me. Every day.

• JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options

I mean, Your an adult. Preplan, pick beter choices, or dont. Not going to hurt anyones goals but your own by

"I only eat granola bars but I know thats a lot of sugar. I just gotta change some stuff to satisfied myself for the day. My first class is 9:25 and have them back to back until 12."

Granola bars are pretty calorie dense. just saying. especially for mindless snacking as you study. And if your choosing to eat granola bars over dinner and curious why your hungry next morning, seriously?

You already stated what you need to do, Do it :P
  • StatsGuy99
    StatsGuy99 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I hate pre-planning, but as quiksylver296 said, it's required. Figure out your meals in advance so that you can eat dinner (if you want to eat dinner). Prepare your food at home. Insulated lunch bags are pretty inexpensive, and can work quite well. I know it's a pain, but it really helps.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    StatsGuy99 wrote: »
    I hate pre-planning, but as quiksylver296 said, it's required. Figure out your meals in advance so that you can eat dinner (if you want to eat dinner). Prepare your food at home. Insulated lunch bags are pretty inexpensive, and can work quite well. I know it's a pain, but it really helps.

Preplanning is definately not required, It helps though i could never do it lol. So does realizing your not satisfied by your granola bars, Your crowding out a healthy dinner, And then waking up hungry. You know this, Being mindful and doing something about it. Granola bars are just an example. Learn beter choices and decide where your priorities lay and work with them. Most days i prefer late night snacking over breakfast, So thats what i do. But i pick healthy lower calorie nutritious snacks that satisfy my body and dont crowd out my healthy meals aswell. If your priorities arent in making beter choices not sure what anyone can do to help with your struggles with hunger
  • Meghanebk
    Meghanebk Posts: 321 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Try different macros in your snacks. For me, protein is very important to control hunger. I can eat 800 calories of granola bars/doughnuts/cereal/whatever and be hungry half an hour later. But if I eat 200 calories with at least 10 grams of protein I'm fine for a few hours. So my go-to snacks often involve chicken, or greek yogurt with veggies, or high protein bars with 10-15 g protein.

Some people need fats for satiety, some are like me and need protein, do some experimenting.

Some people need a high volume of anything to feel full - if that's you try large salads with lots of veggies.
  • himenaya
    himenaya Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    meal prep in advance and use good healthy fats to sustain your hunger. Works for me and I'm on a 1300 cal goal, BUT I always eat about 1700 because I exercise every day. So you could always exercise and eat back those cals.
  • kq1981
    kq1981 Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    kq1981 wrote: »
    Have you lost weight and your calorie amount has changed you mean?

I think that was the reason why it changed but i had lost about 20 lbs it kind of stayed the same so it just took me by surprise.

If you update your goal weight loss per week it will re calculate your needed calories. Ive found that my calorie allowance stays the same until I do that
  • fernie8787
    fernie8787 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I mean i prep my lunch the day before but thats the only prep i do. I just have to change my food for every meal. Just have better portions and healthy choices. I do exercise but 2 - 3 times a week. Abd just throwing this out there Im wheelchair bound for 10 years now, its been hard to walk since my fracture knee and developing arthritis but I want to be able to walk again at least with crouches.
  • ttreit
    ttreit Posts: 59 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    You can find on the go combos and learn their calories then stick with the same stuff for awhile.

When I was in grad school I had NO time. There was literally not enough time to do everything required in my life. At that time I found a few foods that worked for me, bought a food scale, and figured out all the calories for the few things I was eating. The staples of my diet at that time were bananas, spinach, yogurt, granola bars, turkey, Mrs. Olsen's potato lefse (I use it instead of bread for sandwiches because it's only 100 calories for 1 sheet), lettuce, red pepper flakes, hummus, carrots, and my water bottle. I also used bacon, mushrooms, and eggs. When I had time I'd fry up some bacon (you can put it on the stove and read for most of the time it's cooking). I made hardboiled eggs too which also take virtually no time and used them as take to school food or in salads.

Anyhow I recommend learning all of the calories and portion sizes of a few healthy foods and stick with them. If you find a day where you have more time then you can experiment with other things.

I also found in that environment that estimating (once I had a good idea) worked fine in a pinch. For example I just logged every banana at 110 calories. I figured over the week it would even out.

Keep it up though and just do the best you can, every day is a new day!
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,639 Member
    Options
    Am I the only one who keeps cringing when he sees the word banana and then thinks about calories vs satiation?

I would at least experiment with the same calories worth of apples once in a while and compare.

Has anyone noticed how many calories are in egg whites... and that you can actually dump slivered veggies and egg whites in a nuker and end up with something that looks like some sort of an omelette (or let's rather call it an egg based patty so as not to have the French yell at us about food term abuse)...

Budget and taste considerations aside, i hear that protein bars often have similar calories to granola bars....
  • sksk1026
    sksk1026 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I found that if I bumped up protein and fat, and lowered carbs, for breakfast, it made a difference for the rest of the day. I swear it even helps me not snack in the evening! So my regular breakfast is 2 boiled eggs, 1 slice of low carb toast and 1 T full-fat mayo (mash eggs with mayo and pile into toast). I have it with milky coffee using full fat milk. It feels like I start every day with a treat. Lunch is 4-5 hours later. Btw carb heavy meals cause a spike in blood sugar and then insulin - depending on how well your body processes sugar, it can lead to food cravings. So maybe at a minimum experiment with reducing breakfast carbs. If you adore breakfast carbs try choose those with lots of fibre e.g. oatmeal instead of sugary cereal.