Calorie Issues

Options
2»

Replies

• Athena98501
    Athena98501 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    Full fat Cheese and dairy, nuts, avocado, butter, cooking oil, fattier cuts of meat. If you're eating skinless boneless chicken, eat the skin.

^^This. Keto is supposed to be higher in fat, with moderate protein. If you want to eat keto, you need to make sure to fuel your body. Keto suppresses appetite, so it can take effort to get your calories in, but adding fat can help. Also, exercise will let you eat a little higher carb, especially shortly before the workout. That's a good time to get a little more fruit in. You are harming your body by under-fueling, and losing too quickly. Raise your calories, and get the protein you need, but your diet shouldn't be almost all meat.

• Pawatergirl
    Pawatergirl Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I am limiting my carbs to 100g a day in order to lose. I am carb sensitive. I have been eating denser foods and often cannot eat the 1300 cals recommended. I'm concerned that I average about 1000 a day. This may be too low.
  • Athena98501
    Athena98501 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    I am limiting my carbs to 100g a day in order to lose. I am carb sensitive. I have been eating denser foods and often cannot eat the 1300 cals recommended. I'm concerned that I average about 1000 a day. This may be too low.

When you say denser foods, I assume you mean things that are more filling (greater volume), but low calorie, like maybe lots of vegetables? Yes, eating that low calorie is harmful. I'm not sure what you mean by carb-sensitive (maybe insulin resistant?), but lower carb is fine, as long as your caloric and nutritional needs are met. Bumping your fat intake a bit is an easy way to up your calories to what you need, and generally the way to go if your other nutritional needs are covered, and particularly if you want to stay lower carb.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    Full fat Cheese and dairy, nuts, avocado, butter, cooking oil, fattier cuts of meat. If you're eating skinless boneless chicken, eat the skin.

I would love to know who wooed this and why. Is there some disagreement with the idea that these are keto diet friendly foods which are also high in calories?

"Woo" has a double meaning on mfp. The first is for use to tag the kind of bs that Mercola, Dr. Oz, GOOP, or Food Babe might spew, the second is more of "yay--I agree with you". I'm betting it was the latter here.
  • Pawatergirl
    Pawatergirl Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice. I will add more fat to my diet.
  • batorkin
    batorkin Posts: 281 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    mitch16 wrote: »
    dwilliamca wrote: »
    Without giving any information other than being a male it is hard to say, but most younger, average size men eat in the 2000+ range. 1500 is the bare minimum for a man and even low for many women. Your calorie determination is based on your BMR (sex, age, height, and weight) times your activity level less your chosen deficit. It appears you just started counting, so it is most likely that you are under estimating your foods. It is highly recommended that all foods be weighed rather than measured or estimated (therefore 1 medium apple). Also make sure you choose good entries (green checks are verified). Also, you are meant to add on exercise calories and eat those as well. You can open your diary to friends or public and have others take a look if you like.

I measure everything that I consume, I eat mainly meats. I'm a male 19 6'1 268 lb, I run a mile a day and workout for 30-45 minutes a day. I just physically can't eat that many calories.

Not to be rude, but how did you get to 268 lbs if you "can't eat that many calories"?

Is your goal weight loss? Are you losing weight at your 1500 calories per day?

Speaking from experience... You get there by being extremely lazy for a very long period of time (a decade) plus QUICKLY eating giant meals every day before your stomach can even tell you you're full. I'd regularly eat entire pizzas in about 10 minutes lol. On top of that, i'd munch on high calorie but "not filling" snacks 24/7.

My high was 256, and while watching what I eat I struggle to eat more than 800-1000 calories a day. I'm just not hungry when I eat small healthy meals. I lost 6 freaking pounds during my 5th week of dieting, which is 3 times the safe limit.

I can understand where the OP is coming from. I find myself throwing things in my mouth (while feeling very full) because I haven't ate enough and I still find myself not reaching my calorie goal and averaging about 3.5 pounds a week loss. I lift and exercise, and haven't notice any fatigue or strength loss yet so I haven't been too worried.

OP lost 40 pounds in 1 1/2 months though... No way that's not going to cause problems and has to be at least 50% muscle loss.