Protein shake recommendations

Options
me0231
me0231 Posts: 218 Member
So it seems I can't do whey protein. I get hugely bloated and uncomfortable and I've tried a few supposedly high quality ones. Got the Vega sports performance one because of the high protein per scoop and because I read that it's a complete protein. But I just don't

care for the taste. I loved the gold standard powders before but this one is a chore to drink. Does anyone have any recommendations for non whey powders?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Pre lig your day and eat more actual food with protein in?
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Try vegan shakes -- they do not have the milk proteins that bother some people.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Have you tried WPI or WPC/whey blends?
  • Bechler77
    Bechler77 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    If you have problems with the taste of some protein powders try adding sugar free pudding mix. It's 25 calories per serving and I use about half a serving per shake. I buy vanilla protein powder and use the pudding mix to change the flavor.
  • AidenT94
    AidenT94 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I am in love with GNC's protein shakes. I've never had an issue with bloating from their whey protein shakes (I make mine with almond milk since I'm lactose intolerant), but I've also heard wonderful things about their vegan protein shakes. A lot of times you can pop into a store and ask for a free sample before you purchase it, especially if you're weird about consistency/taste. I was able to do that before I got my preworkout mix.
  • fuzzylop72
    fuzzylop72 Posts: 651 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Maybe try the orgain plant based offerings, a lot of people who don't like vega love it.
  • me0231
    me0231 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Have you tried WPI or WPC/whey blends?

I've never tried a whey that didn't give me any issues. I'm not lactose intolerant as far as I know, so I'm not really sure what is causing the bloating.
    Bechler77 wrote: »
    If you have problems with the taste of some protein powders try adding sugar free pudding mix. It's 25 calories per serving and I use about half a serving per shake. I buy vanilla protein powder and use the pudding mix to change the flavor.

That is a great idea, thanks!
    AidenT94 wrote: »
    I am in love with GNC's protein shakes. I've never had an issue with bloating from their whey protein shakes (I make mine with almond milk since I'm lactose intolerant), but I've also heard wonderful things about their vegan protein shakes. A lot of times you can pop into a store and ask for a free sample before you purchase it, especially if you're weird about consistency/taste. I was able to do that before I got my preworkout mix.

Do you mean gnc's own brand? I didn't actually know they had a vegan one, I'll have to try it out.
    fuzzylop72 wrote: »
    Maybe try the orgain plant based offerings, a lot of people who don't like vega love it.

Awesome, thanks for the recommendation.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,981 Member
    Options