Clothes Shopping After Loss (women)

Options
2»

Replies

• lighteningjeanne855
    lighteningjeanne855 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    I'd like to suggest some practical ways to determine your sizes:
    1) Go to websites of the stores you like. Find something you like, and then go look at their size charts,
    which based on various measurements for that particular brand.
    2) Have a friend or family member help you take all YOUR measurements, as suggested by the size charts you found.
    3) Order some clothing online--according to the aforementioned measurements you took

This way you can avoid the frustration of trying to find your size in an unfamiliar store, for a while
    And when you DO go to stores, take your measurement chart and a measuring tape with you to check
    for widths and lengths before you go into the dressing room.

Bless you! Congratulations on getting the extra weight OFF!
  • YaGigi
    YaGigi Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    You silly girl!
    Why are you insecure about this?

You should ask for a SA to help you! And brag to her that you lost lots of weight and don't know what clothes to choose! That's their job to help you! The least they can do is to consult you size wise and to take you to your sized clothes!

Go shopping!!!
  • Cherp18
    Cherp18 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    ^ ^ This ^ ^

The sales associates should be more than happy to assist you :) I was kind of shy at first too, but then I realized they WANT to help! Enjoy your new size & HAPPY shopping!

Good job! :flowerforyou:
  • CharlotteTheCoffeeLover
    CharlotteTheCoffeeLover Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    I agree it's intimidating going into the "skinny" girl stores.... but we've earned that right. I'm still struggling to figure out my size... I have size 6, 8, 10 in my closet currently.... I cried when I couldn'tshop at lane bryant anymore.... I had never shopped anywhere besides plus size stores and it kinda felt odd.... congratulations on your weight loss...:flowerforyou:
  • shrimpydoo
    shrimpydoo Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I so 'get' this. There was comfort in going to Penningtons where I've purchased everything I own for the last thousand years. And yes, mostly black, after all, it went with everything black I owned.

I, like other posters, feel very intimidated going into a 'real' store, which is what I call them. I've tried and left empty handed after looking in a mirror and still seeing the bigger me.

I think taking a friend, who can be very honest with you about how things look, is the best route. Until I hit my goal I'll just purchase the very minimum and do a little taking in/tailoring with the clothes I'm growing out of, maybe look at second hand online sales, and then when I get close ask a friend to help me.

It's kinda sad, but I really don't know how to shop.
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    I felt the same way after I finally got out of plus-size. I remember going to Nordstrom Rack and trying on several pairs of pants in differerent sizes and none of them fit, I left dejected and with a new Fossil watch (as consolation). I will say, it does get easier.