Wagamama dishes under 800 calories

Options
jesspen91
jesspen91 Posts: 1,383 Member
edited November 2017 in Food and Nutrition
So I am going to Wagamama to eat tonight and Wagamama is one of the few restaurants in the UK that includes nutritional information on its website. However, the website is not very mobile friendly so I thought I would make a spreadsheet to use on the go and then I thought other people might like a similar spreadsheet so I am sharing it here.

Some things to note first:
  • I chose 800 calories because I am on 1390 so with breakfast and lunch it is unlikely that I would have more than 800 calories to use at the end of the day. Obviously if you wanted to make your own version including the higher calorie dishes you can
  • I have ranked each dish based on calories/protein (e.g. which dish gives you the most protein for each calorie). This is because my goal is to eat more protein and because protein fills me up. I've not included the other macros because at the moment my main focus is on protein and I am letting the others fall where they will.
  • I have included all sides, desserts and juices in separate tabs so that I can add these if I have more calories available. I have also ranked these in the same way.
  • This is based on the UK menu other countries may vary in their menu and nutritional information

Here is the spreadsheet

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1eZ2XVyfC2abU4YV5xuM36tN926JEdvCDZl1UFGtOmVw/edit?usp=sharing

Some insights:
  • The highest ranking main based on calories/protein is the Sirloin and Shitake salad
  • The lowest ranking main based on calories/protein is the Prawn Itame
  • I am going to stay away from the curries from now on! Only one curry made the list at less than 800 calories and the majority were over 1000
  • Sides and desserts don't have much protein (go figure)
  • I found it interesting that, apart from the curries, the rankings did not bunch together with similar dishes. Within each section of the menu the calories differed vastly so its good to look at what is in your ramen or salad rather than assuming ramen = healthy.

I hope this is helpful to people other than me. I might do the same in the future for other chain restaurants (although, as mentioned, in most places in the UK this information isn't available)

Yes I am a nerd who loves spreadsheets. Sue me!