Convince me about keto

Options
I’ve heard a lot of success stories about the keto diet, and I have spoken to doctors and nutritionists that day this diet is horrible for you. So tell me how to eat my nutrients on the keto diet. How is that much fat good for my body. I don’t want to know why it helps someone lose weight. I want proof that it is a healthy diet - good for you.
Then tell me all the success stories of people who stopped the diet and ate healthy foods and kept the weight off. I really want to know.

Replies

• ladyhusker39
    ladyhusker39 Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    You'd probably get better info on this by going into some of the Keto groups here. You can search to find many posts about this subject.

Why do you want others to convince you that the diet is healthy whatever that means?
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    It makes no difference tbh but I'd seriously question adherence with such a restrictive regiment. It's probably the most overlooked factor by dieters every time. PLEASE. CONSIDER. ADHERENCE. for the amount of time it will take you to reach your goal, and into maintenance.
  • rchelen
    rchelen Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    For me it helps me be in control of what I eat. When I think of carb I would eat mostly junk food, now that I cut carb out aka "junks" I'm more aware of what I put in my body. And when I do crave carb I opt for the healthy carb and eat brown rice or potatoes and lots of vegetables and not feel bad about eating those! Also on keto because eating less junk I don't crave junks as much either. Do whatever works for you.
  • gearhead426hemi
    gearhead426hemi Posts: 919 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Keto is just a new spin off of Atkins. It definitely works I have done it a couple times more as a cleanse for a few weeks to jump start things. Last time I lost 12 pounds in 3 weeks. It is very restrictive so make sure you shop and meal prep for like a week at a time. There isn't a perfect diet for everyone so I would suggest try it for a couple weeks and see how you feel and if it could become a lifestyle no a diet. Best of luck!

Medical studies of the ketogenic diet treating epilepsy began in the 1920's.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19049574

Dr Atkins himself was *born* in 1930.

There's no troll smiley so this will have to do. >:)

• Athena98501
    Athena98501 Posts: 716 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Keto is just a new spin off of Atkins. It definitely works I have done it a couple times more as a cleanse for a few weeks to jump start things. Last time I lost 12 pounds in 3 weeks. It is very restrictive so make sure you shop and meal prep for like a week at a time. There isn't a perfect diet for everyone so I would suggest try it for a couple weeks and see how you feel and if it could become a lifestyle no a diet. Best of luck!

There's no troll smiley so this will have to do. >:)

You've misunderstood, and made a faulty assumption. I've said nothing anti-keto, if that's what you're thinking.

ETA: http://www.notablebiographies.com/newsmakers2/2004-A-Di/Atkins-Robert-C.html
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Either listen to your doctors or do your own research on people post keto.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options

I assumed that the poster meant that keto as a diet for weight loss is a spin-off or rebranding of Atkins (basically sticking with Atkins induction phase). I think that's right, despite it being used in a limited medical way before that. Most people doing it don't have any reason to be in ketosis (ie, the benefits for epileptics) but are doing it to control the appetite or because they find it an enjoyable way to control calories, which was also why Atkins was a rage in the '90s (I knew plenty of people doing it), and probably when it was hot originally. Plus a lot of people just love being able to eat foods they had considered indulgent when dieting (i.e., bacon, cheese). I don't know why people STILL seem to think you can't diet any way (well, not WFPB) and fit those in, but that's a totally different issue.

(And Atkins was not the first low carb diet, obv, also, I know about, say, Banting, but it was a huge popularization of it.)