Not Eating Enough

Options
2»

Replies

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options
    OP, can't you swap out some protein for carbs? You ought to be able to find a balance where you aren't filling up so much on protein that you can't eat an adequate amount of calories.

Doctors who have little to zero training in nutrition in medical school and no post-medical school education or training in nutrition should be required by law to tell patients that they aren't qualified to advise them on their diet and refer them to a registered dietician or other medical profession who does have the appropriate education. I've lost count of the number of posters whose doctors have told them (for no apparent medical reason) that they need to go low carb to lose weight. It's sad that there would need to be a law, that doctors who should know they don't have any more knowledge or training in this area than the average person on the street should feel comfortable sitting in their office in their white coats with diplomas on the wall and all the implied professional expertise that conveys, and tell their patients what to do to lose weight. GPs don't sit there and say, "the pathology results indicate the tumor is malignant; I'm not an oncologist but let's try this drug anyway." At least, I sure hope they don't.
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options
    For a reason unrelated to weight loss, I am eating very low starch (basically doing no starch but allowing some things with a small %). I don't eat mammal meat, just poultry and fish. I have a hard time getting enough. I eat a lot of fruit, but too much causes some gastric issues. I end up taking a couple of tablespoons of almond butter some nights. I do enjoy them, not just swallow them whole. But that slips in a little more protein and some healthy fat.
  • FattieBabs
    FattieBabs Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    I am losing weight without much exercise and still have carbs but not to excess. It is working and my blood pressure is back to normal. I eat about 150g of potato in my main meal or a cup of cooked rice. If I want to lose the bloat in order to wear a party dress I cut out carbs more but still have some. My body feels better for it. I don’t drink enough water but have plenty of salads which do comtain. Fair bit of water.
  • lukilton
    lukilton Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Over the past ten months, I have lost 106 pounds. This was done with very close attention from nutritionists helping me prepare for gastric sleeve bariatric surgery. Over the years I have read what seems like every known "diet" fact there is to know, and yet in January of 2017, I weighed my highest ever in my 63 years of life--375. I realize bariatric surgery may seem to some people an " easy", undisciplined way to lose weight. Let me tell, it is no different than any other weight loss change of lifestyle. It is hard work. I have always had an "everything in moderation" kind of attitude towards food---at least in thought process, just not practice. So this carb vs. protein thought process about one being better than the other, or "healthier" seemed silly to me. Now that I have lost a significant amount of weight, I realize that, at least for me, I have to focus more on not eating foods that I eat which were created in a laboratory vs. simple, natural foods. For instance, I used to buy bread products, every time I went to the grocery store. Yesterday, I threw out bread I bought a month ago, which had become moldy. One of the restrictions for not reversing the results of bariatric surgery weight loss is to avoid foods that swell up in the stomach and take up space for nutritious foods. Many grains , pastas, bread, are notorious for helping to re-expand the size of the stomach, which defeats the purpose of the surgery. That is one big reason I lost fifty pounds pre-surgery--I gave up those foods. Since the surgery, I have reintroduced some, but I simply cannot eat large quantities and feel miserable when I do. I have to eat twice the amount of protein the average person does, and when I work to that goal, it means, any protein must be eaten first. If not, and carbs are eaten first, there is simply no room for protein. I do not know if that kind of thinking helps someone who has a carbs vs. protein issue, but it is working for me. And I am learning, that is something I can do the rest of my life, which is an important part of reaching my goals.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    i eat whatever i want. stay within my calorie goals. lost 100 so far.

carbs are good.

lol
  • DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Add in some cheese, nuts, avocados etc for healthy fats.

All chicken breasts are not created equal. Buy a $20 kitchen scale and weigh your food.
  • Nomseys
    Nomseys Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    OP, you must weigh your foods. You will learn so much as the packages are not accurate. Also I am paleo and pretty low carb around 20% daily. I 100% understand weight loss is CICO however I have some autoimmune issues and a gluten intolerance so I decided to make the paleo choice. It was so hard to eat all of my daily calories at first I actually have high fat/high carb snacks in my freezer to help me reach my daily goal they range from 100-300 calories you may need to do something like that. I have paleo banana muffins, protein balls, paleo brownies. Off to eat one now because I’m still 250 calories under for the day.
  • dwilliamca
    dwilliamca Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Once you have a scale and are sure of your input calories play around with your macros until you are happy and eating at least 1200 plus some exercise calories. You'll be surprised at how difficult it is to be accurate without actually weighing especially with meats. Not to be a party pooper, but for me the first two weeks are the easiest for weight loss and the pounds, mostly water they say, fly off and calories seem plenty. After that I've had ups and downs and still trying to find what macros work best for me. I like to have a small portion of starch at dinner, plenty of fruits and vegetables, and occasionally some bread or cereal so keep my carbs at 40% which for me is 100-120 grams, fats 35%, and protein 25%. I'm still trying to eat more protein, but fat is where most of the remainder of calories tend to land. I must admit I feel pretty good and weight is coming off so my biggest concern is the fact that I already have high lipids and probably don't need to add more with a high fat diet.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Surely you are eating some carbs. Vegetables are carbs.

Also, higher protein diet usually means upping it to around 100 g, which is 400 cal, so how are you only getting 500?

All that aside, the answer is fat: if you reduce carbs drastically, add in some more fat. Nuts, seeds, nut butter, meat with skin on it, cook veg (if you are eating them) in fat, full fat dairy (inc cheese), olives, avocado, so on. Consider drinking some calories if it's really so hard: protein powder with some nut butter and coconut milk or full fat greek yogurt. Avocado is nice in a smoothie too.

Also, seems like there may be carbs you don't lack control over: carrots? Or for higher cal, fruit? plain potatoes and sweet potatoes? But anyway doesn't matter -- just add some fat.
  • ugofatcat
    ugofatcat Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    OP, can't you swap out some protein for carbs? You ought to be able to find a balance where you aren't filling up so much on protein that you can't eat an adequate amount of calories.

Doctors who have little to zero training in nutrition in medical school and no post-medical school education or training in nutrition should be required by law to tell patients that they aren't qualified to advise them on their diet and refer them to a registered dietician or other medical profession who does have the appropriate education. I've lost count of the number of posters whose doctors have told them (for no apparent medical reason) that they need to go low carb to lose weight. It's sad that there would need to be a law, that doctors who should know they don't have any more knowledge or training in this area than the average person on the street should feel comfortable sitting in their office in their white coats with diplomas on the wall and all the implied professional expertise that conveys, and tell their patients what to do to lose weight. GPs don't sit there and say, "the pathology results indicate the tumor is malignant; I'm not an oncologist but let's try this drug anyway." At least, I sure hope they don't.

While I recognize that doctor's may not have extensive nutrition training, also understand that patients forget 40-80% of what they are told in an appointment. What patient's do remember, half of it usually incorrect. So remember that your narrator may not be the most reliable.

Source: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC539473/