Planet Fitness with a focus on strength

Options
My daughter goes to college across the country. She has a Planet Fitness membership because it is what she can afford. She tends to go for the cardio equipment, but really wants to gain muscle. She plays roller derby, so any extra muscle helps with that.

She's not overweight, and is probably right in the middle of a healthy weight range.

I have no familiarity with PF, but I am going as her guest when she is home for the holidays. What kind of weight equipment is typical for a PF and what resources can I steer her toward to get more engaged with strength training.

She's open to it, but doesn't really know what to do, so she sticks to what is familiar.

Replies

• swebb1103
    swebb1103 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    PF is not known for It's strength training, but when I went with my husband once, they do have weight machines and a circuit set up that might be a good place to start. The trainers are there to show you how to work each machine as well.
  • clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    Options
    I go to a PF and like it pretty well. Ours has a trainer with whom you can set up an appointment to create a strength plan. It also has free weights in addition to the weight machines and circuit set.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Look up DB-based strength programs as PF will not have anything for serious training (power racks, free weights, etc).
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    DopeItUp wrote: »
    Look up DB-based strength programs as PF will not have anything for serious training (power racks, free weights, etc).

Second...

Dumbbell focused program...it will be better than using machines.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    There are a number of good programmes in this thread, including Dumbbells.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

If it is more of a machine based PF here is a machine routine. (It is good for men too despite the title)

https://www.bodybuilding.com/content/ultimate-beginners-machine-workout-for-women.html

Cheers, h.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    My understanding is PF doesn't even have heavy dumbbells available. Nor squat racks.

I have a membership at a 24 hr gym which is $15 a month and doesn't let off sirens when you grunt while lifting heavy. Planet Fitness is not the only affordable option!
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    My understanding is PF doesn't even have heavy dumbbells available. Nor squat racks.

I have a membership at a 24 hr gym which is $15 a month and doesn't let off sirens when you grunt while lifting heavy. Planet Fitness is not the only affordable option!

Every PF dumbbell rack I've seen has dumbbells going up to 70#. That might not be heavy for you but for the vast majority of women it is plenty heavy.

Hard to goblet squat effectively with less than half your weight - in my case that's an 80 lb one. And I'm not exactly a massive bodybuilder, just a newbie with a few months' worth of strength gains.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options

Every PF dumbbell rack I've seen has dumbbells going up to 70#. That might not be heavy for you but for the vast majority of women it is plenty heavy.

Hard to goblet squat effectively with less than half your weight - in my case that's an 80 lb one. And I'm not exactly a massive bodybuilder, just a newbie with a few months' worth of strength gains.

If you can't squat effectively with a dumbbell less than 80 lbs you need to fix your form.

In addition, there are plenty of squat and lunge type movements that can be done with two dumbbells instead of one or done unilaterally in order to increase difficulty.

I understand that at a certain point a barbell is more practical for lifting more pounds but adding muscle does not *require* a barbell or dumbbells over 70 lbs for most women.
  • Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    I started at PF a few years ago. It had plenty of DBs , even heavy DBs. My location had one squat rack, several flat benches and quite a few preloaded bars. I couldn’t OHP the 45# bar so used a 20, then 30# bar.
    PF gyms can vary a lot. I guess I got lucky.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Thanks, y'all. It's a place to start for her for sure. She's 5'7" and maybe 125, so I suspect what they have at PF is good enough for her to start with. I will point her in the direction of the barbell programs. Those definitely are up her alley.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options

Use both DBs then. Going up to 20 reps with 2x 70lb DBs as a woman is probably going to take a little while. Especially since it's closer to a front squat (more difficult at a given weight).
  • spartan_d
    spartan_d Posts: 727 Member
    Options

I think you missed his point. He's not saying that his form goes bad. He's saying that the dumbbells are too light to present a decent challenge.
  • stingrayinfl
    stingrayinfl Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    They have some good machines and PF360 and a 30 min workout room...they also have classes for arms, back, legs, etc...fairly good ab machines...they do not have a rowing machine which is great to work out with or a Jacobs ladder..get with the personal trainer and they will set her up a strength program..