I love food

Options
Hey guys !! I’m struggling, I have no problems working out and hitting the gym regularly .... but when it comes to food I love comfort food !! I’m struggling to stay away from pastas, pizza, fatty foods in general :( any suggestions or recipes would be truly appreciated !!

Replies

• nic_27_grassisgreener
    Options
    I love those foods too, and eat them fairly often. There's nothing inherently wrong with any of them, the big thing is just to eat a proper (smaller) portion.

I often make my own homemade pizza with pizza yeast, and my slices come out to less than 200 calories each. So it's easy for me to eat 2 slices with a side of veggies for dinner.
  • pogiguy05
    pogiguy05 Posts: 1,583 Member
    Options
    food scale CICO= Calorie in Calorie out
  • beast8618
    beast8618 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    You can still have your cake and eat it too. If you actually workout, then your body is craving fatty foods to replenish it's source. I have learned that through substitutions. You can have your favorites, just in a new healthier way. I love pizza, so I switch out the dough for an omelette shaped like a pizza. Instead of pasta grains, I use veggies cut like pastas. You consume less calories and it still taste great. Plus you may eat more than you normally would with the changes.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Work them into your calories as you can. I still eat pasta and pizza regularly, just less than I used to.
  • _Phill727
    _Phill727 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I’m with you girl..i love food too
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    For me it's easier to just avoid pizza entirely than to pretend I'm happy eating one slice of pizza. Pasta is the opposite, I measure and weigh what I can have and have a big salad and some greens on the side, and I'm satisfied. And then there are some fatty and sugary foods where substitutions make them much lower in calories but not in flavor. Everyone is different! Figure out what you really enjoy about these foods and how best to satisfy yourself.

A few things that work for me: Sliced zucchini or yellow squash makes a good gratin, which satisfies my Mac and cheese itch. Sliced mushrooms can sub for flat pasta in lasagna or beef stroganoff. Spaghetti squash instead of spaghetti - much lower in calories.

In cheese sauce recipes, if you add buttermilk you can get a big flavor with less cheese. Same for dishes that use mayo, such as cole slaw.
  • madelaine_xo
    madelaine_xo Posts: 24 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    :)
  • madelaine_xo
    madelaine_xo Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Thanks, everyone !! I appreciate it, I'll definitely be using these tips & recipes
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    If you're in the United States, the following cookbooks contain a lot of home cooking recipes that have been slimmed down, along with suggestions for trimming the calories out of your favorite recipes. For example: she has a Strawberry Cheesecake recipe she's slimmed down from 854 cals to 392 cals. She slims it down by using a combination of fat-free and light cream cheese, egg whites instead of whole eggs, using fewer graham cracker crumbs in the crust and less sugar, and fat free sour cream in the topping. You could use a sugar-free substitute in place of part of the sugar to reduce the calories even forward (these weren't available when the first cookbook came out in 2000: each serving has about 100 calories of sugar in it).

Healthy Homestyle Cooking, by Evelyn Tribole
    More Healthy Homestyle Cooking, by Evelyn Tribole
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    It's about portion control really. Nothing wrong with pizza or pasta, just have a smaller portion.

It doesn't always work (like nothing but pizza will do if I want pizza), but often you can make lower calorie versions of things you crave too (check skinnytaste.com)... It does help resisting the diner meatloaf when you know you can make some at home for less than 300 calories a serving instead (and it's still tasty).