What's a good weekly step goal to be considered "active"?

Options
Verity1111
Verity1111 Posts: 3,309 Member
edited November 2017 in Fitness and Exercise
Since Monday (so Mon-Fri) this week I have walked a bit over 75,000 steps (not including the time I forgot to wear my watch, or it was dead, so maybe a little higher - 80,000? idk let's just say 75k lol) ANYWAY so what's a good # to aim for? I want to be "active", not necessarily, "very active", but just active enough that it might show healthwise and I can say "hey I'm not a sedentary lazy *kitten* anymore!". Lol. I'm 5'4" and 167lbs. Note I do have 8 screws a plate and a wire in my leg and I have only been walking steadily with it for about a year (was in a wheelchair until July ish of last year). So I can't do like 50,000 steps per day or anything super crazy... I could go over what I am doing if necessary but I'm not sure where I'm at right now.

Replies

• Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I believe 10,000+ steps a day is generally considered active. Less than 5,000 a day would be sedentary.
    So maybe 20,000+ steps a day would be very active?
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    If you are doing more than you used to, you're no longer a lazy *kitten*! 75k per week is great!!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    The steps per day is arbitrary. If you are seeing mobility gains and you are rarely out of breath, you have found the number of steps that is good for you.
  • Verity1111
    Options
    Lounmoun wrote: »
    I believe 10,000+ steps a day is generally considered active. Less than 5,000 a day would be sedentary.
    So maybe 20,000+ steps a day would be very active?

Awesome! I'm at 15,000 for this week (average) ^_^
    lorrpb wrote: »
    If you are doing more than you used to, you're no longer a lazy *kitten*! 75k per week is great!!

Thank you! I know in theory it's better, but I just want to feel special and be able to say to myself yay I'm active LOL
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    I hit 10K on days I go for a run, but on days I swim or lift, I might hit 5K. But then I know I've done something else so I don't fuss about it.

Can you do anything other than walk? I know you might be limited both by your kids and your leg issues.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Average is about 7500 steps, but average is sedentary. I would think 15,000 would be active.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    Wow you guys are awesome. Outside of exercise I get about 3000-4000 a day so I have it set to sedentary. I would say active is definitely 10k a day but it might be easier to just set as sedentary and manually add step calories
  • Verity1111
    edited November 2017
    Options
    I hit 10K on days I go for a run, but on days I swim or lift, I might hit 5K. But then I know I've done something else so I don't fuss about it.

Can you do anything other than walk? I know you might be limited both by your kids and your leg issues.

Not really lol until break. I have a gym membership but Im literally not home from like 7:30am until 6pm! It sucks.
    Average is about 7500 steps, but average is sedentary. I would think 15,000 would be active.

Thanks! I actually read sedentary is under 5000? I figured 7500 was part of the low end of low activity but I wasnt sure where it would end. Now Im confused lol. Anyway, 15,000 is doable but I might end up less on weekends...I think I could live with that. :) Thanks!
    Wow you guys are awesome. Outside of exercise I get about 3000-4000 a day so I have it set to sedentary. I would say active is definitely 10k a day but it might be easier to just set as sedentary and manually add step calories

I do that! But I just want to for my own benefit have the thought of I'm not an active person. I know it's silly but it makes me feel good. lol. I want to stick to something I know also keeps me on the right track so when I get to my goal I can maintain easier.