Runners: what's your magic number?

You've seen the commercials for the adjustable bed that asks, "What's your sleep number?" My question is what's your running number? At what point in your run does everything fall into place - your rhythm, your breathing, the way your legs feel, etc.

I've been running for a year and I'm fascinated by the fact that I can isolate this moment to a tenth of a mile. It's always 2.3 miles into my run. Always. That's not to say I don't have sucky runs where I feel cruddy the whole time. It's just that if I'm not feeling good 2.3 miles in, then I won't at all. I don't understand the physiology behind this strange fact, but it made me wonder if others have an magic number, too?

Replies

• Philtex
    Philtex Posts: 869 Member
    snowyne wrote: »
    it made me wonder if others have an magic number, too?

No
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    I notice I'm often quickest in my third kilometre... except when I'm not. :)

No magic number here.
  • e_elizb
    e_elizb Posts: 62 Member
    Usually 8-12 minutes in
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    2.3 is my magic number too, that's about when I fall over from exhaustion, LOL.
  • jcummings6
    jcummings6 Posts: 72 Member
    Most often the first 2-2.5 miles are a challenge and then finally I start to feel good and enjoy myself, until about mile 7 then it’s hit or miss. Sometimes I stay feeling good and other times it falls apart again.
  • AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    It depends on the temperature, humidity, pollution levels, allergies, work nemesis actions, husband PMS levels, etc.... normally a run helps me process all of this. Sometimes it does not. Then it epically sucks... :(!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    I don't think I have one, but I need 1-2 miles to feel warmed up, which is why I don't like 5k races!
  • crackpotbaby
    crackpotbaby Posts: 1,297 Member
    When I do laps of a local trail (1.6km so one mile with the first 100m steep steep unevenly spaced awkward steps then up and down moderate hills) I feel worst on my first and second lap, amazing on my third (if I do one after my terrible second) and okay but exhausted on my fourth. Then my less than a km run home I feel like I’m dying.

I’m not a runner though. Probably never will be. I’m okay with that.
  • jon2412
    jon2412 Posts: 61 Member
    I find this, usually after 1 or 2 km of running, the breathing, pace and whatnot all seem to align. I think it’s the point where I’ve properly warmed up, adjusted to the environment (rain, warm, cold etc) and where the muscles and body have learned to settle into the repeating actions of the run.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited November 2017
    No magic number. I'll know during my warm up if I am not feeling the run, that said if I am 'off' that day, I won't lace up my shoes at all to attempt a run I might bail on (rare for me).

Its all about proper warm up. I do shorter runs during the week and longer ones on Saturday. I definitely do not start shorter vs longer the same.
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    For a regular run, it happens when my body is completely warmed up. That usually takes 12-15 minutes, depending on my pre-run warmup. When running off the bike in triathlon I'm already warmed up, so it happens when my legs get used to the extension of running after being in hip flexion from cycling. The first half mile or so I'm running on dead legs. After that, the other problems start ;)
  • amtyrell
    amtyrell Posts: 1,449 Member
    I have not found this magic number. However I am a newish runner. I am doing my first 10k today. It is cold . I think sometime between 2 and 4 miles.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,676 Member
    I don't think I have one, but I need 1-2 miles to feel warmed up, which is why I don't like 5k races!

That's why you're supposed to run a mile or two easy before the race. It makes a huge difference in the outcome.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,676 Member
    For me, it's usually about 1.5 to 2 miles. Part of the problem is I live in an area where it is uphill 100' or so in every direction, so I'm dealing with both cold muscles and a good climb. If I'm running where it's flat, I warm up a bit faster - usually a mile or so.
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    It takes me about 1K or so for my body to get into the rhythm of it. The first kilometer is a hard one; the rest are easier (unless it's a bad run day, in which case, it's all hard).
  • mandabeth34
    mandabeth34 Posts: 158 Member
    2 miles. Everything magically aligns and I know as long as I control my breathing I’ll be able to do however many miles I’ve set out to do that day.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    My theory is that this has to do with glycogen and blood glucose. I can tell my muscles aren't really getting energy and everything is hard, then it suddenly gets much easier. It takes a bit for your liver to start shuttling stuff around. Warming up, including very brisk walking, doesn't help, I have to actually run through the feeling tired part. Mine is about 2 miles.

I get the same effect when cycling hard.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member

That's why you're supposed to run a mile or two easy before the race. It makes a huge difference in the outcome.

I'll stick to 10ks and half marathons :laugh:
  • ContraryMaryMary
    ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,648 Member
    Yup, my pace picks up and everything becomes easier at about 2.5km. Therefore, I try to run at least that distance before any event (this invariably doesn't happen because in the morning my body choses to prioritise sleep, which is unhelpful).
  • Bluepegasus
    Bluepegasus Posts: 333 Member
    It takes me two or three miles before I properly settle into a rhythm, and if I'm doing a long run, it's mile 15 that I struggle with, and then I'm ok again!