Fitbit Calories... Am I wrong to be suspicious of the added calories?

Options
Verity1111
Verity1111 Posts: 3,309 Member
edited November 2017 in Food and Nutrition
It has been fairly accurate in the past but I haven't used it for a while. 5'4" 167lbs or so and it is telling me I burned 1500 calories from exercise today? I walked around 24000 steps. Does that seem off? It's been so long since I used it that I don't remember lol and I never synced it to MFP before, I just used a calculator. Don't want to eat too much back and end up gaining but I also have a history of ED (eating disorder) so is this that and I'm just paranoid or is there legitimacy to thinking that's high? I think in the past I was given 100 calories per mile (I think...) and this is more than that, although I did run some this time and, in the past, I only walked leisurely. Anyway, I am only at like 1400 calories and deciding my end of the night calories. Help?

Fitbit Calories Burned
Full Day Projection 3712
(Based on 3548 calories burned as of 10:11 pm)

I should add I have lost 58lbs and yes part of it was with FitBit but it was a while ago (I was over 200lbs when I started out). Im wondering if it makes a difference.

Week looks like: 80,920 steps (Mon-Fri not including when I didn't wear it) RHR is 62-64bpm. Average HR during exercises today 130 (1 hr long), 109 (49 minutes), 105 (20 minutes) and other similar numbers...

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    The calculators usually overestimate the exercise calories burned.
    Some people eat about one half of their calories back but you will have to experiment a little.
    Stay at one plan for two weeks eating back that number.
    For two weeks try eating back a different number if necessary.
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,081 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    I ate all of my fitbit cals back for 6 months and stayed within my maintenance range when I used it 4 years ago. I also have ED history, but am learning to listen to these tried and tested methods. You are not suddenly going to gain fat eating above maintenance for just one day in any case. Have you trialled eating all the cals back for at least 4 weeks to determine accuracy. I just use TDEE calcs and am having fun experimenting with loads of cals. It is a case of fine tuning some of the time as not every day is the same.

As long as your stats and activity levels have been adjusted on the fitbit account I am sure it is working it all out correctly.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Mine is accurate, honestly.

It really depends a lot on how you're doing your steps - walking your dog or running, for example.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    24k steps? I'd say probably accurate.
  • CyberTone
    CyberTone Posts: 7,337 Member
    Options
    ​​I am 55, 5'8", 154 lbs, in maintenance at 1870 net Calories, have a Fitbit Charge 2 with HR, and have MFP set at Sedentary. The last time I got 19,646 steps, I earned 2300 extra Calories as my Fitbit Calorie adjustment. I ate back 2000 of those extra Calories, because I had three gigs on a Saturday that had me setting up and tearing down stage equipment from noon to midnight. Most of those Calories were from homemade chocolate chip cookies - I needed the quick and easy energy from sugar and the higher Calories from the fat.
  • Verity1111
    Verity1111 Posts: 3,309 Member
    Options
    Ooo cookies!! Lol. I didn't see this and I ate Edy's slow churned pumpkin pie ice cream for dinner lol I could have done with more food so I guess I can bank them if I want without it affecting my weight loss. I appreciate all the honest answers guys! And yes @VintageFeline 24k steps. I am slowing down today because I have a weigh in tomorrow and also feel very nauseous but I've been aiming for 15k-25k steps or more on busy days and 8-15k on slow days.
  • cyncmt
    cyncmt Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    The 1500 calorie also includes your basal metabolic rate also known as the calories you burn kits to survive. So when you sync you will have an adjusted rate....i do with my garmin.. I got 10000 steps regularly. And i earn about 250 to 350 calories. And i earn less if I do my workout since some of those steps are includes in the 10000. So you shouldn't stress or eat back all the calories.